PDA

View Full Version : Federer: Wimbleton and 15th Major!

wktf
07-06-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm surprised there was no post on this. What a hell of a match. Five sets and 16-14 in the 5th set. I thought it might go on all day.

This win puts him at the highest major tournament wins in history. Just incredible.

All credit to Andy Rodick, too! The man upped his game and got in phenomenal physical shape. This could have gone either way. One of the best finals I've ever seen.

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 10:05 AM
It was amazing. But I was sitting there and thinking how can the women expect the same money? There was more games played in the final set on the mens final than the entire game of the womens LOL. Unless they are prepared to play best of 5 sets they should not get anywhere near the same money.

Plus they don't have the fight to make a comeback and normally games are decided in 2 sets.

P1X4R
07-06-2009, 11:57 AM
agreed! best of 3 sets doesn't cut it.

awesome win for Federer! great match for both players!

El Diablo
07-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Was a great match, was hoping roddick would win though after the way he battled to the final (federer I thought had a relatively easy path) was happy he beat murray though :thumbs2:

ALPH4T34M
07-06-2009, 01:10 PM
It was a great match in terms of excitement!

I am a huge Federer fan and I can tell you he was playing below par for 98% of the match. The only thing he did better in this match than the rest during the tournament was his serve. 50 aces in a match! Only 1 away from the Wimbledon record of 51 by Karlovic and only 5 away from the 55 world record.

Roddick played the match of his life and was holding his own, I wouldn't have minded him winning, he is a great person and deserved a win also.

ALPH4T34M
07-06-2009, 01:13 PM
As far as equal prize money goes, I agree, women should not get equal amounts to men. Most of the time they don't offer the same excitement and their just not on court long enough and therefore not on TV long enough to demand equal prize money.

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Women playing today don't have the same grit or
determination as the players in the 80s. They give up too easily.

LoD
07-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Congrats to Federer! Agree that the prize money should not be equal.

HalJordanFan
07-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Awesome to see Tennis fans!!!

Wimbledon is like the Superbowl for me, but it lasts a whole lot longer. It's awesome to have espn360.com and a DVR. I nearly watched every match that I could. It was another amazing final on the men's court and I was glad for Fed. He's an amazing player with terrific sportsmanship. I hope he gets another 5 or 10 to add to his collection!

It's truly the only sport where I'm not cheering for the American player.

Justin
07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Loved the final and love watching every match i can during Wimbledon. I go to the Aussie open every year but i'd love to make it over to the Old England club one year and take in a match :)

and Congrats to Fed for being one of the all time greats and A Rod for really stepping up and pulling off what would have been the greatest moment of his tennis life!

I also agree that the woman should not get paid anywhere near the men, it's insane!

snappahead
07-06-2009, 06:00 PM
I haven't watched tennis in years. Has he won more Wimbletons than Pete?

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 06:02 PM
One behind Pete. But he has one on every surface.

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 06:07 PM
RF has 6 to Pete's 7

A great match ... I was glued to the TV ... Roddick played a great match ... I think his play had a lot to do with why RF had so much trouble with him. Arod was not broken until the final game ... a heartbreaking loss (I think his third Wimby final loss to Roger).

Great tennis ... I am looking forward to seeing Nadal get healthy again and square off with RF

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I so wanted Roddick to win, he's such a great sportsman, far more humble than Fed, who seemed to almost be irritatingly condescending in his post match interview :(

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Although Roger won I still think he is not playing anywhere the level he is capable off. For alot of the
final he did not look very motivated. Maybe he needs some time off.

ALPH4T34M
07-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Although Roger won I still think he is not playing anywhere the level he is capable off. For alot of the
final he did not look very motivated. Maybe he needs some time off.

I think the occasion of perhaps breaking such a record may have got to him. Like you said, he playing no where near his best tennis.

JadeGiant
I so wanted Roddick to win, he's such a great sportsman, far more humble than Fed, who seemed to almost be irritatingly condescending in his post match interview :(

ya think? I have always taken that as being Roger ... I thought he was very graceful to Andy in his victory ... he even mentioned how he could not figure out his serve for the entire match and that he played a great match.

ALPH4T34M

It's just the way he comes across.

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I think the occasion of perhaps breaking such a record may have got to him. Like you said, he playing no where near his best tennis.

He may have not played his best but Andy took his game up to a new level ... I think that is more of a factor that Roger's play IMHO

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 06:15 PM

I totally disagree Roger is one of the all time great sportsmen. Don't forget he went through the same thing last year. There are no words of condolence to a player after loosing such an epic final.

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 06:16 PM
I totally disagree Roger is one of the all time great sportsmen. Don't forget he went through the same thing last year. There are no words of condolence to a player after loosing such an epic final.

+1

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I dunno guys...I maybe it's just the fact that he seemed a little smug...

I think it's just such a shame that he only broke Roddick once and still won...Roddick broke him three seperate times, and took far more points off him.

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 06:19 PM

Oh no doubt he's a good sportsman, you only have to watch his reaction to Nadal beating him last year...there was just something about the way he talked about Roddick...maybe I misread...

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I truely believe the guy is an amazing sportsman he is just very humble and way too shy during interviews.

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
I dunno guys...I maybe it's just the fact that he seemed a little smug...

I think it's just such a shame that he only broke Roddick once and still won...Roddick broke him three seperate times, and took far more points off him.

I totally agree ... Andy played about as good as he could. I hope this is the beginning of a run for him. I was watching all the back and forth in the final set and thought to myself that Andy was more dominant on his serves and that it would come down to grace under pressure and I felt that Roger would eventually get the break. The man has ice water in his veins.

ALPH4T34M
07-06-2009, 06:25 PM
He may have not played his best but Andy took his game up to a new level ... I think that is more of a factor that Roger's play IMHO

Andy most definitely played awesome tennis and yeah your probably right, he seemed to cancel out Federer on many occasions.

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Oh no doubt he's a good sportsman, you only have to watch his reaction to Nadal beating him last year...there was just something about the way he talked about Roddick...maybe I misread...

I truely believe the guy is an amazing sportsman he is just very humble and way too shy during interviews.

I agree Bulls ... Rich, you may be right but I read RF as Bulls does. There is not a whole lot you can say to someone who just lost the Wimby final after playing the way he did. I thought he did a good job in his own way.

ALPH4T34M
07-06-2009, 06:28 PM

I think Andy got a little annoyed when Federer said he knew how it felt, which on some level he did but Andy frustraitingly pointed out that Roger had won 5 and he had won none.

Again though, it's just the way Federer talks sometimes, sounds like arrogance but he's a genuine good guy.

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 06:30 PM
He is Swiss, maybe it's the whole Neutrality thing...:laugh:

ALPH4T34M
07-06-2009, 06:31 PM

LMAO! :laugh:

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 06:32 PM
The man has ice water in his veins.

Maybe that's why I don't like him as much as some of the other players...I love passionate tennis players...

Although some like Hewitt and Murray seem arrogant, Nadal and Roddick seem genuinely all or nothing in these finals, and Fed lies smack in the middle...nothing seems to phase or affect him very much...

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
good point ... I can see that

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I think Andy got a little annoyed when Federer said he knew how it felt, which on some level he did but Andy frustraitingly pointed out that Roger had won 5 and he had won none.

Again though, it's just the way Federer talks sometimes, sounds like arrogance but he's a genuine good guy.

another good point ... I picked up on Andy's vibe as well ... point made with good intention but did fail to hi the mark somewhat

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 06:34 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 06:37 PM
He does lack the charisma of a McEnroe or Agassi. But then again Pistol Pete was also boring. Nadal has passion as does Murray. But for pure talent non of them are close to Fed.

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
He does lack the charisma of a McEnroe or Agassi. But then again Pistol Pete was also boring. Nadal has passion as does Murray. But for pure talent non of them are close to Fed.

you had me till the end ... Nadal is definitely in the conversation

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 06:40 PM

I don't think we can judge yet, Nadal and Murray are younger...although I think Fed won't be beaten in terms of Slams for a good few years to say that Nadal is not close to Fed is wrong IMO...Nadal's better on clay, Fed's better on grass and it's a toss-up between them on composite courts IMO :thumbs2:

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Sure he is brilliant on clay. When he wins a few more Grass then he can be considered.

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Sure he is brilliant on clay. When he wins a few more Grass then he can be considered.

I think it's a damn shame he was injured this year, Vicki's mum had tickets won in the ballot but sold them when she found out he wasn't playing :(

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 06:44 PM

agreed ... but I see that happening ... I don't think he has peaked ... his victory over RF last year puts him on par with him at this time IMO

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 06:49 PM
They are even for sure on current form but while Nadal was playing at his peak, he is not as good as Fed at his peak. JMO. Feb has not been at his absolute best for a couple of years IMO.

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 06:58 PM
They are even for sure on current form but while Nadal was playing at his peak, he is not as good as Fed at his peak. JMO. Feb has not been at his absolute best for a couple of years IMO.

I agree with that 100%, although I don't think Rafa has actually hit his peak yet...plus I think that it's a shame that while Fed was at HIS peak, there were no really equal challengers for him...

Roddick was always 90% serve until recently, now he's in the best form of his career.

Hewitt has always been hit and miss, Safin was more concerned with running around the court than hitting decent balls, and don't get me started on Henman.

It would've been great for Tennis if Fed had've came along 5 years later.

I think the current top seeds like Nadal, Fed, Murray, Djock, Roddick, are some of the best players we've seen for a long time.

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 07:02 PM

I agree with that 100%, although I don't think Rafa has actually hit his peak yet...plus I think that it's a shame that while Fed was at HIS peak, there were no really equal challengers for him...

Roddick was always 90% serve until recently, now he's in the best form of his career.

Hewitt has always been hit and miss, Safin was more concerned with running around the court than hitting decent balls, and don't get me started on Henman.

I think the current top seeds like Nadal, Fed, Murray, Djock, Roddick, are some of the best players we've seen for a long time.

RF may not be playing at peak, I agree and I hope to see him return to form

Rafa has not peaked IMO ... I think he has greatness written all over him

classic argument of who is better, the established legend and the younf buck ... McEnroe/Borg was a similar example.

RF is tops in my book but I cannot wait to see what Rafa does to challenge that argument ... good time to be a tennis fan:thumbs2:

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 07:07 PM

classic argument of who is better, the established legend and the younf buck ... McEnroe/Borg was a similar example.

RF is tops in my book but I cannot wait to see what Rafa does to challenge that argument ... good time to be a tennis fan:thumbs2:

The thing that alway intrigues me is that on a normal day...

Murray beats Fed (Murray has beaten him 6 out of 8 times so far)
Fed beats Nadal
Nadal beats Murray

Those top three are so near in ability...I think the two young guys just need a few more years. :thumbs2:

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 07:16 PM
yep, like I said ... great time to be a tennis fan

two questions:

how many GS titles will Fed win before he hangs up the racket?

Will he break Pete's Wimby title record?

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 07:18 PM

two questions:

Tough to say, I think he has at LEAST two more GS titles in him, but hard to say on Wimbledon, I think Rafa or Murray has it next year...or maybe Roddick if he can keep playing like he did!

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Safin had serious potential to give Fed a run for his money but for whatever reason it just didn't happen.

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Anyone totally bored with Women's tennis? Williams sisters should have their own division IMO...they're in between the classes.

And Sarafina being number 1 is a joke, she was patheitc against Venus, who was carrying an injury!

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I think Fed has a couple at least in him over the next three years. I can see him retiring at 30. I can see him win another US title and another Wimbledon.

JadeGiant
07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Tough to say, I think he has at LEAST two more GS titles in him, but hard to say on Wimbledon, I think Rafa or Murray has it next year...or maybe Roddick if he can keep playing like he did!

it will be a tough road for sure ... but I really think it is what drives him at this point, especially now that he has won all the major GS titles

RichBamf
07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
it will be a tough road for sure ... but I really think it is what drives him at this point, especially now that he has won all the major GS titles

Everyone wants to win wimbledon, it's the special one...

Bullseye
07-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Womens tennis is a joke. There is no grit or desire to play beyond 2 sets. And to think they are on the same money is a complete joke.

risingstar
07-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Womens tennis is a joke. There is no grit or desire to play beyond 2 sets. And to think they are on the same money is a complete joke.

I remember John McEnroe saying that women shouldn't be making as much as the men because the TV ratings for women's tennis was a fraction of that of men's tennis, especially in the early rounds. He also said that since men's tennis goes on for longer, there are far more advertizing dollars coming in so men should be compensated and rewarded for that.

Anyway, all this to say that that all sorts of advocacy groups came out of the woodwork and pretty much put the kibosh on any further talk of paying women less. This won't change ever.

bat_collector
07-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Anyone totally bored with Women's tennis? Williams sisters should have their own division IMO...they're in between the classes.

And Sarafina being number 1 is a joke, she was patheitc against Venus, who was carrying an injury!

I think ever since Justin Henin won there really weren't any obstacles for the williams sisters

Love federer.

ALPH4T34M
07-07-2009, 06:25 AM

you had me till the end ... Nadal is definitely in the conversation

Nadal does not have the "talent" of Federer. Nadal has skills and power and so on but not the natural gift that Federer has.

ALPH4T34M
07-07-2009, 06:26 AM
I don't think we can judge yet, Nadal and Murray are younger...although I think Fed won't be beaten in terms of Slams for a good few years to say that Nadal is not close to Fed is wrong IMO...Nadal's better on clay, Fed's better on grass and it's a toss-up between them on composite courts IMO :thumbs2:

Nadal is close to Federer in terms of keeping up with him and beating him, for sure.

However when it comes to talent and the way they each play the game, Federer is in a class of his own.

ALPH4T34M
07-07-2009, 06:30 AM

I tell you no matter how many more grand slams Rafa wins he is most definitely very near to his peak. The exertion on his body due to his playing style is enormous, I don't think he can ask another level from his joints to take his game to another gear.

ALPH4T34M
07-07-2009, 06:31 AM
The thing that alway intrigues me is that on a normal day...

Murray beats Fed (Murray has beaten him 6 out of 8 times so far)
Fed beats Nadal
Nadal beats Murray

Those top three are so near in ability...I think the two young guys just need a few more years. :thumbs2:

Murray has no where near the ability of the other two IMO, great serve but way too passive on his groundstrokes at the moment.

ALPH4T34M
07-07-2009, 06:32 AM

two questions:

Very hard to tell. If any one is gonna break Pete's record it will be Roger. I see him winning another US open and perhaps an Australian also.

ALPH4T34M
07-07-2009, 06:33 AM

I haven't been interested in Women's tennins for the past 7 years.

ALPH4T34M
07-07-2009, 06:35 AM
I think ever since Justin Henin won there really weren't any obstacles for the williams sisters

Love federer.

Henin was an awesome player, shame she had to retire.

RichBamf
07-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Murray has no where near the ability of the other two IMO, great serve but way too passive on his groundstrokes at the moment.

I agree, but then I wonder how do you attribute his constant beating of Federer?

75% win against RF is no mean feat, and Federer has said the one man he hates playing is Murray.

IronLungs31
07-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Simply the best male tennis player to ever pick up a racket.

ALPH4T34M
07-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I agree, but then I wonder how do you attribute his constant beating of Federer?

75% win against RF is no mean feat, and Federer has said the one man he hates playing is Murray.

Every player has someone they just don't like playing. It could be their style of play, their tactics, the spin or flatness of their groundstrokes, every player has someone they would just not rather play against.

I remember when I was playing tennis on a regular basis at my local club, I would beat players who were far better than me and much more talented but I played a good percentage play game and heavy slice on my backhand, getting the ball over the net more than the other player, holding back on big shots e.t.c.

bat_collector
07-07-2009, 10:28 AM

I don't think Murray has ever beaten in a grand slam though.

NOt sure they have even played each other.

LoD
07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't think Murray has ever beaten in a grand slam though.

NOt sure they have even played each other.

Only time they met in a slam was at the 2008 US Open....Fed beat Murray in the finals.

IMO altho Fed may not be as muscular, athletic or quick as Nadal, Roddick etc...he is the most well rounded player on the tour on any surface and shows it by winning slams.

Bullseye
07-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Fed has beaten Murray when it's mattered.

samhain81
07-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Nadal does not have the "talent" of Federer. Nadal has skills and power and so on but not the natural gift that Federer has.

Federer may have won alot in his time, but that doesn't make him any more 'natural' than the rest.

Nadal is just as natural, with the exception of his unorthodox western grip. The reason his knees are dodgy, is not because of his playing style, but because he tries to return almost every bloomin ball that comes his way. :D

I must say, Roddicks inside-out forehands were almost the same as Federers in the final. Roddick has definitely stepped up his game to a whole new level, particularly with his serve/volley. Definately my favorite Tennis player.

Ginchy
07-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Nadal is just as natural, with the exception of his unorthodox western grip. The reason his knees are dodgy, is not because of his playing style, but because he tries to return almost every bloomin ball that comes his way. :D

Isn't that considered part of his playing style though? Rafa might be quicker around the court than Fed but I think Roger moves better and more efficiently. His lack of injuries and sustained high level play is proof of that. Rafa is going to need to make some alterations to his schedule so that he's at his best come Grand Slam time.