Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #21
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
Thanks for the clear up Meteorman. That was an awesome series.
No problem...can't wait until May when you can get started on my Imperial Guard Pernatar's!!!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #22
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
No problem...can't wait until May when you can get started on my Imperial Guard Pernatar's!!!

Very cool!
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:55 AM   #23
imthkman
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Has anyone seen the Jack Kirby tribute on one of the Superman TAS episodes. Apparently it's an episode involving Darkseid invading earth with his army. Superman befriends an old war veteran and when Darkseid is defeated and is about to return to Apokolips, he uses his Omega Effect beams and kills the old vet. This vet looked alot like Jack Kirby and at the funeral scene at the end of the episode, it's rumored you see silhouettes of Thor and Captain America. Anyone see this episode?
That's my favorite episode of the entire series. Turpin is a bad-a$$!!!!
imthkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #24
Jesse321
Galactus

Just picked up the final Season of Batman Beyond yesterday at Best Buy!
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Has anyone seen the Jack Kirby tribute on one of the Superman TAS episodes. Apparently it's an episode involving Darkseid invading earth with his army. Superman befriends an old war veteran and when Darkseid is defeated and is about to return to Apokolips, he uses his Omega Effect beams and kills the old vet. This vet looked alot like Jack Kirby and at the funeral scene at the end of the episode, it's rumored you see silhouettes of Thor and Captain America. Anyone see this episode?
What a great story! As Meteor Man said, that was Officer Turpin. Not only was the episode dedicated to Jack Kirby but Bruce Timm drew Turpin in Kirby's image and gave him a cartoon version of Kirby's face. The Jewish funeral with the chanting of the kaddish and Superman's dark, solitary figure standing in shadows over Turpin's grave was just haunting.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #26
ironrope
The Herculoids

There are alot of Marvel references in the DC animated shows. In the Superman episode featuring Volcana, there are some characters patterned after Nick Fury and SHIELD. There is also a Justice League episode that teams Grundy, Dr. Fate, and Aquaman; a pretty obvious Defenders tribute. I wish Timm and company made Marvel cartoons!
ironrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrope View Post
...There is also a Justice League episode that teams Grundy, Dr. Fate, and Aquaman; a pretty obvious Defenders tribute. I wish Timm and company made Marvel cartoons!
I never thought of that episode (also with Hawkgirl, who befriended Grundy, right?) as being a Defenders tribute. But now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #28
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrope View Post
There are alot of Marvel references in the DC animated shows. In the Superman episode featuring Volcana, there are some characters patterned after Nick Fury and SHIELD. There is also a Justice League episode that teams Grundy, Dr. Fate, and Aquaman; a pretty obvious Defenders tribute. I wish Timm and company made Marvel cartoons!
Also in the Defenders tribute episode, wasn't Amazo there at the beginning? I'm pretty sure he was in that episode too.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 AM   #29
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Also in the Defenders tribute episode, wasn't Amazo there at the beginning? I'm pretty sure he was in that episode too.

Yes he was indeed. I read that analogy of the tribute to the Defenders on the Toon Zone boards in that episode as well. Dr. Fate/ Dr. Strange. Solomon Grundy/ The Hulk. Aquaman/ Sub Mariner. Amazo/ Silver Surfer. Hawkgirl/Valkerie. It was another very cool episode!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #30
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Watched this from season one DVD last night with my kids. In addition to being a Fantastic Four tribute with the Terrific Trio, radiation created heroes seeming to be images of Mr. Fantastic, The Thing, and The Torch, there was a scene where Terry McGinnis was trapped under piles of rubble and had to force himself onto one knee to hoist the rubble up over his head behind him. We stop-motioned this scene and it is a direct honoring, to the very image, of the iconic Steve Ditko drawn Spider-Man panels from ASM #33 where Spidey must push the rubble off him, after a battle with Doc Ock, to be able to get life saving serum to Aunt May.

I was really happy to see this and even happier that my 14 year old son also picked it out right away.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Your son read Ditko's Spidey 33 and enjoyed it?
Very cool stuff!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote