Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 09-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
spenca7
Loki

Paint Flaking

I have a Life Size yoda statue ROTS version from pepsi. I went to move him today and noticed the paint is flaking on his arm. One paint chip came off and the rest has cracks around it. Is there a way to make sure the rest doesnt start to peel off? Should I throw some paint sealer on the area?
spenca7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

The sealer *might* help, but probably not for long. The problem is likely underneath the paint that's cracking. Still, it's worth a shot!

Matte medium might also work for you, but you're going to have to be careful applying it. It will dry clear and is a little thicker than aerosol sealer or anything you would apply w/ an airbrush. Gently, and I mean GENTLY brush it on so that it covers the area. It should help bind what's there. I would definitely test it on some out of the way spot on him first though.

Thin super glue might help, but it also might not dry totally clear and makes things worse.

Good luck!
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

OUCH! Many time, this is an issue from using products that have not completely cured below the surface of the paint, creating a reaction like you see now where the paint is not binding to the surface prep layer below.

Rick offered some great stuff. I would also recommend buying a product called "Peel Stop" or "Peel Bond". These are actually clear primers made to paint onto a house that will adhere old/faulting paint back to the surface Peelstop is water thin where Peelbond is thick like pudding. Here is what I would do..leave the cracking for a few days to let the chemicals below hit air and cure (it may be dry...but not cured). Take a small brush and carefully brush your Peelstop around the faulting area (allowing the Peelstop to get back behind the paint and glue back down for a secure tight seal) Give it about about 30 min to an hour to dry and you should be fine.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote