Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
demonhunter
Kingpin

Why Hot Toys Doesn't Make Statues:Answer?

Why Doesn't Hot Toys Make Statues like SideShow or Bowen?

Many people have asked this question.

I think this question can be answered from a marketing perspective.

In the book called In Search of The Obvious by Jack Trout; Marketing Guru, it is said that a brand should mean only one thing. A brand cannot mean many things in the mind of the consumer. Ideally it should occupy one supreme spot in the mind of the consumer.

Example: Volkswagen was well known for small cars, the Beetle in the mind of the consumers. It was a position that VW dominated. The minute VW started to think that they should move away from that and make bigger cars to compete with other big car companies, they lost out.

There were many other examples of given in the book about other brands that were very good in one thing, well known in one thing, but when they tried to do something else, they failed.

I think Hot Toys is very well known for one thing right now: 12" man-dolls of soldiers and movie characters.

If it tries to become something else, Hot Toys as a brand for 1/6,1/4 scale high end resin statues and busts, perhaps that might not be a good thing as this turf is dominated by stronger players.

Taking car brands for example:

Toyota is now known for reliability.
Volvo is known for safety.
Rolls Royce super premium luxury car.
It wouldn't work if Toyota tried to position its brand as something else than what it is strongly known for as now.

Quote:
By launching more and more new products, companies are finding it difficult to differentiate their products. "Line extensions, or a number of different products with the same name, tend to make it difficult or impossible to clearly talk about a point of difference. Marlboro, which stands for cowboys and full-flavoured cigarettes, cannot sell menthol or ultra lights. Real cowboys don't smoke these types of cigarettes," says Trout.
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1197110
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
ilicitano4ever
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Hi demonhunter! interesting question and good article. In my opinion it is only a matter of time that hot toys decide to make statues. Right now, they´re the strongest player sculpting characters in the market.

I think Hot toys can compete without loosing their (hot toys) essence. There´s a huge market out there, people is asking for high end statues, busts... and is willing to pay whatever to have their favourite characters "brought to life" in their houses.

What it is obvious is that they better expand their movie colectibles line, because each time their figures are expensive and makes me think if its worth to pay 160$ for a plastic figure.
ilicitano4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
demonhunter
Kingpin

Yes, ilicitano4ever, it is very interesting, I mean what Jack Trout said in his book.

It is also said that if a company which is strong in one category wants to move into another category, creating another brand for that category would be ideal, instead of using the same brand.

Like Procter and Gamble, they are in many many categories of products and levels, but they have many many different brands. Brands for standard products, and brands for premium products.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Sanitarium84
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

i hope they try making statues though, i own quite a few of hot toys figures and man.. their sculpting = awesome

they made busts though, for the dark knight.. didnt interest me though :P
Sanitarium84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

...Alien and predator busts too
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post
Why Doesn't Hot Toys Make Statues like SideShow or Bowen?

Many people have asked this question.

I think this question can be answered from a marketing perspective.

In the book called In Search of The Obvious by Jack Trout; Marketing Guru, it is said that a brand should mean only one thing. A brand cannot mean many things in the mind of the consumer. Ideally it should occupy one supreme spot in the mind of the consumer.

Example: Volkswagen was well known for small cars, the Beetle in the mind of the consumers. It was a position that VW dominated. The minute VW started to think that they should move away from that and make bigger cars to compete with other big car companies, they lost out.

There were many other examples of given in the book about other brands that were very good in one thing, well known in one thing, but when they tried to do something else, they failed.

I think Hot Toys is very well known for one thing right now: 12" man-dolls of soldiers and movie characters.

If it tries to become something else, Hot Toys as a brand for 1/6,1/4 scale high end resin statues and busts, perhaps that might not be a good thing as this turf is dominated by stronger players.

Taking car brands for example:

Toyota is now known for reliability.
Volvo is known for safety.
Rolls Royce super premium luxury car.
It wouldn't work if Toyota tried to position its brand as something else than what it is strongly known for as now.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1197110

The above is true.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
CharlesSong
Sculptor
Sculptor

Apple was well known for computers. The minute they moved to MP3 players, they lost out.

No.

A brand can evolve if it's done the right way.

Hot Toys could easily make some stunning statues, whether they want to is something else.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Vracula
Jedi Order

if hot toys start making pf's and statues sideshow and cinemaquette have will have a major problem on their hands.hot toys portraits are flawless.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
DeKind
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesSong View Post
Apple was well known for computers. The minute they moved to MP3 players, they lost out.

No.

A brand can evolve if it's done the right way.

Hot Toys could easily make some stunning statues, whether they want to is something else.
I dont think the Ipod is a good example. Before them MP3 players were certainly around but Apple took the product, streamlined their own version, launched a massive marketing campaign and created the idea that it was every bit as indispensable as a cell phone. They reached out to the average Joe, which no other MP3 company had done to that point, which in effect created a fad.

If Apple had only stuck with computers it could be argued that they would not be nearly as successful as today since they created a massive amount of brand recognition.

In Hot Toys case, they're probably at their peak. 12 inch figures are incredibly popular and they easily create the best. They cant gain much by branching out into a far more niche and expensive statue market. If they fail, as already stated, they'd only hurt their company as a whole. If apple failed with the Ipod, would anyone of cared? No. They already catered to a niche group of people and they would of went right along purchasing their computer products.
DeKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
CharlesSong
Sculptor
Sculptor

Who is to say what is niche and what isn't?

Why are statues 'niche' and 12-inch (especially $150+ ones) not?

Like I said, it's about doing it right. If the product and price are right, there will be a market.