Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
kaza5555
New Republic

If my memory serves right, there wasn't much stories published. There were probably just two full comics published after Rocketeer was released only as a back up in Starslayer and Pacific Comics Present.
kaza5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I got the standard edition. It says "The Complete Adventures" on the cover. There are two stories inside - the first one that the film was based on, and Cliffs New York Adventure.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

does the deluxe feature the movie adaptation and the 3d comic?

Mine should be in the mail and I've had brush with passion for quite a while now.

With the rocketeer bust, statue and PF coming soon, it's a good year to be a finhead!
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #14
protector2814
Phoenix

Here's the Dave Stevens' Rocketeer I have -
I'll check for more.

Pacific Presents Rocketeer #'s 1 & 2

Rocketeer Special Edition #1

Rocketeer Adventure Magazine #1, 2 & 3

So, a total of 6 comics plus the Starslayer back-ups.

I also remember picking up one or a few issues of a Rocketeer book not drawn by Stevens.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
Royd
Producer
Producer

True, however, in this case, the collection includes all the Dave Stevens illustrated Rocketeer stories (not the movie adaptation illustrated by Russ Heath).

I checked the credits page of my copy of the "Complete Adventures" contents and it lists the following:

Starslayer #s1-3
Pacific Presents #s1-2
Rocketeer Adventure Magazine #s1-3

The deluxe edition includes an amazing amount of additional material. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Unfortunately, "definitive" doesn't always mean "complete." It just could be "the most representative" or a "best of" type of collection. I agree with Protector that the Deluxe Edition did feel a little thin to me, but that was just a gut take rather than a closer inspection. I left it on the shelf as a result but may have to give it a second look when I go back this week.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
Royd
Producer
Producer

I'm guessing that the Rocketeer book not drawn by Dave Stevens was the movie adaptation by Peter David and Russ Heath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Here's the Dave Stevens' Rocketeer I have -
I'll check for more.

Pacific Presents Rocketeer #'s 1 & 2

Rocketeer Adventure Magazine #1, 2 & 3

So, a total of 6 comics plus the Starslayer back-ups.

I also remember picking up one or a few issues of a Rocketeer book not drawn by Stevens.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:32 AM   #17
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

neal adams did the artwork for the 3d comic
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:43 AM   #18
Royd
Producer
Producer

I've never seen that book. Since it's Neal Adams, I'm curious now to see what it's like

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
neal adams did the artwork for the 3d comic
Old 12-31-2009, 03:48 AM   #19
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Rocketeer volume 1 (i.e. the first storyline) consisted of five chapters, this was released by Eclipse Comics as a complete volume after the storyline was finally finished. Originally it was spread over issues of Mike Grell's Starslayer, then Pacific Presents, and finally in a Rocketeer one shot, all at different publishers.

Volume 2/the second storyline was released in The Rocketeer Adventure Magazine, the first two issues came from Comico, while issue three, which finally concluded the story, was released six years later by Dark Horse, who also released a collected edition.

And sadly that was it as far as Dave Stevens Rocketeer stories went, this new collected edition does indeed have everything he completed, as far as I'm aware, and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

As mentioned above, there was also The Rocketeer: The Official Movie Adaptation, which was written/adapted by Peter David, and illustrated by Russ Heath. As far as movie adaptations go, it was actually pretty well done, with Heath's artwork especially good.

I've never heard of the 3d Rocketeer comic before though, so that's a new one on me, and I thought I had everything...

Part of me always wanted someone to pick up the reigns and give us more Rocketeer adventures, because it's a great character with a lot of potential as far as continuing adventures go, and so I'd kind of like to see it live on as a tribute to what Stevens created, but another part of me is wary that any revival would likely be a pale immitation, and I'd hate to see anyone taint Stevens Rocketeer name and legacy with something that wasn't worthy.
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 AM   #20
Royd
Producer
Producer

Sledge - a fellow Aussie Stevens/Rocketeer fan!

Yeah, I picked up all the individual issues (including the movie adaptation) at the time of their release so I didn't bother with the early collections but this one with every Dave Stevens book plus the 100+ pages of additional material and was too good to pass up.

As mentioned earlier, I also picked up a copy of the exclusive version of "Brush with Passion: The Art and Life of Dave Stevens" from Minotaur Books last week and it's an amazing compilation of Dave's work including background to the making of the Rocketeer movie - fascinating stuff! Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer! View Post
Rocketeer volume 1 (i.e. the first storyline) consisted of five chapters, this was released by Eclipse Comics as a complete volume after the storyline was finally finished. Originally it was spread over issues of Mike Grell's Starslayer, then Pacific Presents, and finally in a Rocketeer one shot, all at different publishers.

Volume 2/the second storyline was released in The Rocketeer Adventure Magazine, the first two issues came from Comico, while issue three, which finally concluded the story, was released six years later by Dark Horse, who also released a collected edition.

And sadly that was it as far as Dave Stevens Rocketeer stories went, this new collected edition does indeed have everything he completed, as far as I'm aware, and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

As mentioned above, there was also The Rocketeer: The Official Movie Adaptation, which was written/adapted by Peter David, and illustrated by Russ Heath. As far as movie adaptations go, it was actually pretty well done, with Heath's artwork especially good.

I've never heard of the 3d Rocketeer comic before though, so that's a new one on me, and I thought I had everything...

Part of me always wanted someone to pick up the reigns and give us more Rocketeer adventures, because it's a great character with a lot of potential as far as continuing adventures go, and so I'd kind of like to see it live on as a tribute to what Stevens created, but another part of me is wary that any revival would likely be a pale immitation, and I'd hate to see anyone taint Stevens Rocketeer name and legacy with something that wasn't worthy.