Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #221
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I received my 2nd 1/4 scale DCD piece the other day (Thanks Jon. ) and figured I'd share a few pics and some thoughts.

BATMAN

Side by side with Green Lantern

Let me start off by saying I am the proud owner of 29 Sideshow 1/4 scale Premium Format Figures. For me the 1/4 scale DCD Batman and GL (albeit mine is customized) are every bit as nice as my costumed superhero PFs from Sideshow. Which IMO is the only way you can compare these pieces. Film characters with realistic clothing will always look superior in a mixed media format when compared to comic characters in spandex.

Something that I think needs to be kept in perspective when comparing these pieces to their Marvel counterparts from Sideshow is both Batman and GL have a fairly basic costume design. Heroes like Captain America and Thor have a lot more going on with their outfits. Hence the opportunity to incorporate finer details. I honestly don't think these characters would look any different if Sideshow were producing them. I think the real question for collectors is do these costumes work in this format? Its something I found myself asking with Sideshow's Wolverine and Sabretooth PFs and I think it applies with these characters too. The format works for some of us and others not so much. I think its less a question of quality and more a question of personal taste because to me these 2 DCD pieces are totally on par quality wise with what I've seen from Sideshow.

In regards to Batman specifically I was on the fence for a long time with this piece. I'm now convinced my apprehension was due to collectors, for the most part, not properly photographing this piece or taking the time to manipulate and pose Batman's cape. Speaking of the cape the wires throughout allow you to completely tailor the look to your tastes which is VERY cool. The leather outside contrasts nicely with the softer shinier fabric used in the inside. Sculpt wise he looks great. Muscle definition looks realistic, his gauntlets, pose, cowl and expression are all spot-on IMO. If I were to take fault with anything it would be the color of the base (should have been grey,) the lack of detail and choice of color in the utility belt and the style of Batarang used. The latter is more of a personal taste thing for me though as I prefer the slimmer style Batarang. Detail wise the Batarang looks great though. Its shiny and heavy with a very solid feel to it.

Overall I'm very happy with this piece. It looks even better in person than I thought it would and I like it every bit as much as GL. After receiving this I'm even more excited for the upcoming Joker and Harley Quinn pieces.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:52 PM   #222
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Congrats on the new acquisition. Great review as well. I am glad that you are happy with it. If you don't mind dropping DCD a note so that I can collect my commission cheque that would be great

You should consider WW. A great piece as well. My sole complaint with hers is that the corset could have been a little more form fitting but a fantastic sculpt from Andy Bergholtz nontheless.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 PM   #223
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

looks good
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #224
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Something that I think needs to be kept in perspective when comparing these pieces to their Marvel counterparts from Sideshow is both Batman and GL have a fairly basic costume design. Heroes like Captain America and Thor have a lot more going on with their outfits. Hence the opportunity to incorporate finer details. I honestly don't think these characters would look any different if Sideshow were producing them. I think the real question for collectors is do these costumes work in this format? Its something I found myself asking with Sideshow's Wolverine and Sabretooth PFs and I think it applies with these characters too. The format works for some of us and others not so much. I think its less a question of quality and more a question of personal taste because to me these 2 DCD pieces are totally on par quality wise with what I've seen from Sideshow.
Very well said. I totally agree. I think some replace "quality" with "personal preference". Personally, I'd take any DCD 1/4 scale (except Superman, of course) over Sabretooth. On the other hand, I find the Captain America/Thor more appealing than any of the current DCD pieces, but, kinda like you said, there's just more going on there to "ooh" and "aah" at.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #225
Sanitarium84
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

still looking for that batman!
Sanitarium84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #226
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Congrats on the new acquisition. Great review as well. I am glad that you are happy with it. If you don't mind dropping DCD a note so that I can collect my commission cheque that would be great
Thanks MM. I'll contact DCD today regarding that referral bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone
You should consider WW. A great piece as well. My sole complaint with hers is that the corset could have been a little more form fitting but a fantastic sculpt from Andy Bergholtz nontheless.
After receiving Batman I actually am considering it now.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #227
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Congrats HB. I am hoping they revist him not fond of this one or Wonder Woman (although the raw sculpt looked amazing). The Green Lantern looks amazing however.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #228
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

I'm really digging that Batman....I may have to bite the bullet and pick it up.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #229
Kaijuboy
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Do we have any idea when/if the 1/4 Harley is going up for pre-order?
Kaijuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #230
StatueHunter75
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I received my 2nd 1/4 scale DCD piece the other day (Thanks Jon. ) and figured I'd share a few pics and some thoughts.

BATMAN :batman:

Side by side with Green Lantern

Let me start off by saying I am the proud owner of 29 Sideshow 1/4 scale Premium Format Figures. For me the 1/4 scale DCD Batman and GL (albeit mine is customized) are every bit as nice as my costumed superhero PFs from Sideshow. Which IMO is the only way you can compare these pieces. Film characters with realistic clothing will always look superior in a mixed media format when compared to comic characters in spandex.

In regards to Batman specifically I was on the fence for a long time with this piece. I'm now convinced my apprehension was due to collectors, for the most part, not properly photographing this piece or taking the time to manipulate and pose Batman's cape. Speaking of the cape the wires throughout allow you to completely tailor the look to your tastes which is VERY cool. The leather outside contrasts nicely with the softer shinier fabric used in the inside. Sculpt wise he looks great. Muscle definition looks realistic, his gauntlets, pose, cowl and expression are all spot-on IMO. If I were to take fault with anything it would be the color of the base (should have been grey,) the lack of detail and choice of color in the utility belt and the style of Batarang used. The latter is more of a personal taste thing for me though as I prefer the slimmer style Batarang. Detail wise the Batarang looks great though. Its shiny and heavy with a very solid feel to it.

Overall I'm very happy with this piece. It looks even better in person than I thought it would and I like it every bit as much as GL. After receiving this I'm even more excited for the upcoming Joker and Harley Quinn pieces.
I couldn't have said it better myself and I can't wait for the Harley Quinn one!
StatueHunter75 is offline   Reply With Quote