Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #31
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
so it begins...

im gonna print this out and take it with me to the bank tomorrow. i hope they will somehow be able to catch the person doing this!
make sure you go to or contact the bank the check was written from, not your bank. I've "played" around with some of these guys before (just to waste their time too). Tell them you have a friend in the city where the "Agent" is and your friend will deliver the money in person (to avoid any money gram/western union fees). They will quit communicating with you right away.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #32
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

I would tell them Jimmy Badaboots and Joey bagodonuts is gonna handle the transaction for now on, cause the boss said so.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #33
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Not exactly. Banks generally won't cash checks for you without having an account with them. Or if they or a business will cash them they require photo ID and information. Once it bounces HE would be liable to pay back the money and 2K is too much to walk away from. He could be prosecuted as if he had written the bad check himself.

If all anybody had to do to leave banks holding the bag was make bogus checks and then cash them and then tell the bank to get bent then nobody would do anything else.
When I have received checks from someone, I would go to the bank the check was from, the bank would check the account and if there were enough funds to cash it, THEN they would give me the cash (SOME banks would even call the person or check their signature card on file!)! I have done this for over 20 years because I NEVER like to deposit checks into my account ONLY to find out a month later, the check was no good. NEVER had a problem and thought once the bank gave me the cash, I was off the hook!
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #34
johnclone
The Enchantress

There has been a change of plans, I will also be sending out immediately, my pet horse Lucille, my distillery which will be crated up and sent via the Concorde, my xylophone collection, and my pet frog Barfy. When you receive these items please contact the San Diego Zoo, and inform them that I am ready to come to work for them, also please send them 39 plain jelly donuts from Dunkin Donuts. I shall be airmailed to the house in a large plain brown envelope on the 12th of July, thankyou.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #35
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmic View Post
When I have received checks from someone, I would go to the bank the check was from, the bank would check the account and if there were enough funds to cash it, THEN they would give me the cash (SOME banks would even call the person or check their signature card on file!)! I have done this for over 20 years because I NEVER like to deposit checks into my account ONLY to find out a month later, the check was no good. NEVER had a problem and thought once the bank gave me the cash, I was off the hook!
Yeah, but obviously in this case there are no funds, but yes you are correct you can either go to the bank where you have your account OR the bank from which the check is drawn and in the latter case if there are funds in the bank and they give them to you then you wouldn't be responsible for the bad check.

There is zero chance that Zombie will get $2K on this deal and not be liable for it.

If you think otherwise I'm sure Zombie can give you the guys contact info and you can tell him that Zombie isn't interested but you are and I'm sure he'll give you the same sweet deal.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #36
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

The thing is this wont just be a "bounced check" like happens from time to time. The check is counterfeit. Banks go nuclear when you are involved in trying to pass a counterfeit check. Your own account will be frozen and you will be blacklisted with other banks. It is a royal pain to get off the blacklist. Plus you will have the authorities up your wazoo. This is not something you ever want to test the waters with.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #37
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra VonDoom View Post
The thing is this wont just be a "bounced check" like happens from time to time. The check is counterfeit. Banks go nuclear when you are involved in trying to pass a counterfeit check. Your own account will be frozen and you will be blacklisted with other banks. It is a royal pain to get off the blacklist. Plus you will have the authorities up your wazoo. This is not something you ever want to test the waters with.
As I mentioned. Call the bank the check is drawn on. Just say you want to check on the validity. Give them the routing number and account number on the check. The will easily be able to tell you if the check is legit. Most likely it won't be.

Going to your own bank won't work as they can't tell you if it's legit or not. All they will be able to do is deposit to your account and once it goes through their process, it will get rejected and the funds will then be withdrawn from your account. Here is where your problems might arise as your bank will want to know where the check came from. Whatever you do, DO NOT, deposit it to your account (unless the check is drawn on your same bank). If it is your bank (most likely not) they will be able to tell you if it's legit and if it is legit if there is any money in the account. If there is, cash it.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #38
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

call the bank and the police and meet with them both at the same time.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #39
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Why bother with anything? The check's bogus, you KNOW it's bogus. Drop the check off at the police along with any emails you have and be done with it. Why even get in touch with a bank if there is the SLIGHTEST chance that you're going to be associated with these idiots.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #40
Jesse321
Galactus

Nothing kills a thread more than clear, succinct, rational logic ... way to kill a thread Drew!
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote