I like Marvelboi a little more since this all started 4 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #571
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew View Post
Hard to treat a place like a home when you are called a guest by those that run the site.
I used to own a comic shop which is now owed by one of my best friends. I still have a key to the place, know the passwords to the security system, have a key to the safe. I get everything at wholesale cost. If I sell something for him to a friend, I can walk in, grab something, walk out, come back with the cash a week later, ring it into the register and he doesn't ask me question one about it. It IS home to me, I am 100% comfortable doing whatever I want there.

Do I agree with everything he does running his business? No. Do I tell him? Yes. But you know what? It's his place, he runs it, it's his rules and his decision on how things are handled. I have the freedom to do what I do because HE allows it and for no other reason. It doesn't mean the place isn't a home for me, but I'm still his guest in the final tally.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #572
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I think most people will disagree with you. The majority of the people here don't have any issues with the people that run this site. There are just a few people here that go looking for trouble.
Thanks.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #573
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew View Post
Hard to treat a place like a home when you are called a guest by those that run the site.
I see why you'd think that, but not knowing why everyone makes the statements that they make in any given discussion puts you, or anyone in said discussion, at a disadvantage.

Galactus/Drew doesn't need anyone to stick up for him, but the man's neither "unfair" to members of this forum, nor an @sshole to them.. unless they deserve such treatment... and some DO deserve it. Thankfully, usually other members pick up the pitchforks so Drew doesn't ultimately have to.

You're simply speaking your mind, so you're exempt.. but some people cross the line fairly often on here, and the "powers that be" look the other way... but that lenience only has so much rope to it.

I just went to bat against someone who's been kicked off this forum and another one which I don't visit all that often... and he had nothing but thinly-veiled (if veiled at all) negativity to say about forum members.. but NOBODY came to his defense during our discussion. Why be on a damned forum if you can't stand most of the people that are on it? I'm not directing that at you, Kirthew.. I just can't.. understand.. why he'd come back after being banned when all he does is make waves.

We're all here to have a good time and talk about these stupid hobbies of ours, but nobody wants either a crybaby or a "look at me" mucking things up for the rest of us.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #574
Royd
Producer
Producer

So many side-topics being discussed here in what has turned into a fascinating thread! As regards "Moderator" duties, most here know that I've been moderating the Adam Hughes Yahoo group (7,800+ members) for over 10 years. I've lasted that long because I enjoy the contact with like-minded fans/collectors and it has been fun for the most part.

I run things in a different way to SF because I tend not to involve myself (on one side or the other) in the rare disagreement or "flame war" preferring to try and maintain a level of courtesy in the discussion. It's only if name-calling starts that I step in and warn the parties involved that it's time to cease and desist because both points of view have been put and no further benefit can be achieved in prolonging the topic.

Sure I would have handled things differently if I were a Mod here but then it's not my board so when in Rome......
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #575
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

If greenjeans and kirthew are looking for a forum that is based on a hobby that has zero drama, they ain't never going to find it. If you let someone else's personalities and traits get to you so badly, it's time to move on.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #576
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

Wow, I think the new thread title should be "if you have a problem, say your Bazinga!Bazinga!Bazinga!Bazinga!Bazinga! here"
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #577
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
If greenjeans and kirthew are looking for a forum that is based on a hobby that has zero drama, they ain't never going to find it. If you let someone else's personalities and traits get to you so badly, it's time to move on.
Ain't that the truth!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #578
Underdog07
Hercules

Grennjeans - I don't know you but man you are coming off as a man with a full-on vedetta against The Batfan. Your latest post is full of points where you lay down the law based on your opinon and you basically say Lee, or anyone else, is not permitted to another opinion. That's just not the way it works here and its a better place because we have people with all sorts of different opinions and act in all sorts of different ways. Lee tends to be blunt and over the top in how he handles things, but that who he is. So I am going to tackle some iof your comments and irrations as to the Batfan

[QUOTE=greenjeans1978;3974796]I'd like to state for the record that I didn't have a beef with the Batfan until he went off on how inking over pencils "destroys" the art no matter how loyal the inks are to the linework, and wouldn't listen to anyone who felt otherwise.
[QUOTE]

Damn him for having his own opinion and sticking to it. What an asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans1978 View Post
Then came his attempts to silence criticism of Rob Granito by claiming none of his critics or accusers knew what they were talking about, and that only he had the right to be angry because Granito owed him a refund. (So I guess that makes Cat Staggs, Anastasia Heonis, David Yardin, Cully Hamner, and others liars?) .
I think what he said was Granito and he used to be friends and he wished people (ie me) would stop bringing his name up with respect to Rob. He then said he saw Rob paint some paintings -- I would say Lee did not necessarily know that the underlying image was a copy. And Lee never said Granito owed him a refund, but that he lent him upwards of $20,000 and was not being paid back.

Quote:
Then came the abysmal attitude he copped over the He-Man commission I got from Brianna Garcia, where he not only spat on on her commission policy because it didn't suit him, but he made it clear he thinks artists should serve him whenever he wants, however he wants, personal lives and other commitments be damned.
I missed these posts, but it sounds like again his opinion. I don't think artists should serve him, but why does he have to have your view? And why would he spit on his computer screen?

Quote:
But being a collector does NOT entitle one to demand more of an artist than is reasonable, to disrespect their commission policies, to expect them to shut down their lives just to cater to you,
You are entitled to demand whatever you want and expect whatever you want. You are not entitled though to have what you demanded or expected. And how does one "disrespect a policy"?

Quote:
This latest incident was a bridge too far, because not only do I feel Mr. Fischer deserved none of this, but because the Batfan would have done this to ANY artist who didn't dot every I and cross every T he wanted, no matter how valid their reasons were.
Its nice that YOU feel this way and, gosh darn it, you are entitled to. But remember you had no $$$ in the game. I think he jumped the gun here, but again, it wasn't my money.

Quote:
It's the arrogance he projects and the toxic disrespect he shows to artists that angers me, to say nothing of his holier-than-thou attitude toward other collectors.
Lets just ignore that he also commissions multiple pieces from artists that no one has ever heard of thereby giving them work and exposure. Does he annoy some artists, probably. But even if that number is 20-30%, he is still not annoying a fair amount of the artists he deals with. Heck, I likely wouldn't spend my money on many of these artists and, in fact, I am certain many here also would not.

Quote:
be unwilling to compromise when a commission deal doesn't work out to either party's satisfaction,
again, thats his perrogative. Why MUST he (or anyone else) compromise. If he wants to stick to his guns, by golly he can. And you can think he is doing the wrong thing.

Quote:
If you're going to be a collector, isn't showing the artists respect and honoring their policies part of the deal? Expecting an artist who does one commission per customer as standard operating procedure to do 5-30 commissions just for you in one go is completely inconsiderate.
Well, sure its common courtesy and we can all say he's an ass for doing so,but he is allowed to. I am not sure how it is disrespect to say "I will buy 30 pieces from you if and only if you drop everything you are doing and do them now." The artist can tell him to take a hike. Or the artist can say, heck, 30 pieces sounds good to me. Again, its not for you to decide how people ask, but you are free to disagree with them.

Quote:
Threatening an artist's career over an attempted compromise is just baffling.
That's probably a bit strong because only Lee, and perhaps you, feel he has that much power.

Quote:
There's no way I could ever do any of this, much less do so with a clear conscience. To me, this kind of thing is just plain wrong.
Exactly. You get to act how you act and Lee gets to act how he acts. You are the Felix to his Oscar.

Quote:
And as a collector, who am I to complain about other people's collections? What other people like or don't like is their business. It's not my place to criticize their wares, nor should it be. If someone wants to collect a million pieces of art or just a handful, that's their call. But shouldn't common courtesy be the rule of the day?
Again to each their own - I don't tend to critize peoples collections I just note that the Hulk and Spider-woman suck.

Quote:
One of the reasons I got into art collecting in the first place was to avoid drama like this. The arrogant, entitled, my-way-or-the-highway mentality that so permeates geekdom has turned me away from countless forums because I was made to feel I wasn't welcome. I honestly do not need to see that mentality poison the one hobby where I actually can get exactly what I like the way I like it. And I don't appreciate it when somebody does try to pull that nonsense.
But see, you have taken the exact opposite my-way-or-the-highway approach and have become the exact opposite of which you complain.

Now please, pick apart my comments and explain to me why my opinion--that everyone is entitled to act how they please or have opinions that differ--is incorrect.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #579
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Grennjeans - I don't know you but man you are coming off as a man with a full-on vedetta against The Batfan.
This is exactly why I have chosen to pretty much ignore his posts
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #580
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
This is exactly why I have chosen to pretty much ignore his posts
I tried, but there was just too much here telling me how I had to act for me to ignore. Plus, with Lee gone (at least for teh time being) the piling on can stop.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote