Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #21
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Grew up in Cleveland, was not happy to see this at all.
It's time to let it go, Steve
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I heard it wasn't a big turnout for the championship parade. Bunch of merry weather fans out there.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
Mean Green
Fantomah

Mike Miller representing!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Mike Miller representing!

I can't believe they won because of that bum. Unreal.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #25
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I can't believe they won because of that bum. Unreal.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
What's the history?
Just realized nobody answered Bulls...

LeBron James was the hometown hero in Ohio, so it seemed like fate when Cleveland won the first overall pick the year LeBron entered the draft. He went on to resurrect Cleveland basketball and everyone was excited about the team again. Some people (rightfully imo) believed he quit on the team in the Eastern Conf championship the year before he was set to become a free agent.

... then came the debacle known as The Decision, which was an hour-long special on ESPN where he announced that he was going to "take his talents to South Beach" to join Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh, crushing the entire city and possibly state of Ohio (and the silly NY Knicks fans who for some reason thought they had a claim on him). Miami then held an over the top celebration announcing their "Victory in Free Agency" when they hadn't won anything yet... Topping it all off, they lost last year in the NBA Finals where people saw that LeBron did not live up to expectations and all but disappeared in the series.

Either way, this past year, he has admitted that he went about his free agency all wrong. Most importantly, he's stepped up his play when it mattered. At the end of the day, he played out his contract in Cleveland and signed with Miami. He doesn't get into trouble on or off the court (unlike a lot of boneheaded athletes in the news). I truly believe he was immature and listened to some very bad advice but has changed for the better.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I can understand why Cleveland won't forgive him as I probably would hate him if I were from there. Much like how I dislike Cam Newton cause he was an idiot, got in trouble, and had to leave Florida. Then he goes on to win a National Championship with Auburn...
Old 06-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
It's time to let it go, Steve
My bitterness keeps me warm at night.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #28
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Just realized nobody answered Bulls...

LeBron James was the hometown hero in Ohio, so it seemed like fate when Cleveland won the first overall pick the year LeBron entered the draft. He went on to resurrect Cleveland basketball and everyone was excited about the team again. Some people (rightfully imo) believed he quit on the team in the Eastern Conf championship the year before he was set to become a free agent.

... then came the debacle known as The Decision, which was an hour-long special on ESPN where he announced that he was going to "take his talents to South Beach" to join Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh, crushing the entire city and possibly state of Ohio (and the silly NY Knicks fans who for some reason thought they had a claim on him). Miami then held an over the top celebration announcing their "Victory in Free Agency" when they hadn't won anything yet... Topping it all off, they lost last year in the NBA Finals where people saw that LeBron did not live up to expectations and all but disappeared in the series.

Either way, this past year, he has admitted that he went about his free agency all wrong. Most importantly, he's stepped up his play when it mattered. At the end of the day, he played out his contract in Cleveland and signed with Miami. He doesn't get into trouble on or off the court (unlike a lot of boneheaded athletes in the news). I truly believe he was immature and listened to some very bad advice but has changed for the better.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I can understand why Cleveland won't forgive him as I probably would hate him if I were from there. Much like how I dislike Cam Newton cause he was an idiot, got in trouble, and had to leave Florida. Then he goes on to win a National Championship with Auburn...
Very well said. The way he went about leaving Cleveland and Miami's preemptive celebration was handled EXTREMELY poorly. I can't blame Cleveland fans for feeling betrayed after that whole debacle. However, why the rest of the world "hates" Lebron is beyond me.

The man admitted his mistakes and has matured a lot in the past year. A person big enough to admit their mistakes gets a lot of respect from me.

I saw something amusing last night on ESPN. I believe the show is called Sports Nation, but they basically take a poll that the Nation votes on in certain topics before the show airs. When the show airs they discuss the topic briefly, share their own opinion on the matter and then display the results of the poll. The question was "Which is more treacherous, Lebron leaving Cleveland for Miami or Ray Allen leaving Boston for Miami?".

Clearly the more "treacherous" of the two is Allen leaving Boston for Miami.... right? I mean the guy would be leaving his team to join their rival? The same rival that has knocked Boston out of the playoffs for the past two years. A rivalry that has often gotten a little ugly and sometimes physical. Allen is essentially saying "Those guys beat me and they're winning.... I think I'll join them." Lebron saw that he wasn't going to win a championship in Cleveland. He made a personal choice to start a project with Wade to win a championship. Yes the way he did it was stupid, but he didn't join his city's rival team. Which do you think the Nation voted more "treacherous"? They voted Lebron by 86 percent.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote