Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
yelbegen
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

denatured alcohol??

hi all,

I saw in tutorials, sculptors use denatured alcohol..but i couldnt find it..I asked for it to pharmacys and harwares..pharmacists give me %70 pure alcohol, it contains glycerin..glycerin is not volatile..might be a stupid question,is it ok to use on super sculpey.
yelbegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Denatured alcohol should be available at hardware stores, in the paint department - by the other solvents such as lacquer thinner and mineral spirits. I buy mine at Home Depot and they always have it. I buy a gallon, but they may have a smaller size.

I'm not sure what rubbing alcohol (what the pharmacist gave you) will do to Super Sculpy. I use the denatured to clean parts and thin some paints. I would not substitute 70% rubbing alcohol because it won't work the same way - it's chemically different and the other 30% is water.
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
JetFire76
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Hey Yelbegen,

I use denatured alcohol for my alcohol torch...which I use to work with wax and heating my tools.

I don't know how it works with polymer clay such as sculpey... but I believe alcohol is primarily used to clean and smooth clay surfaces as well as making providing a nice blend between the clay. If you can find 91% rubbing alcohol which should be carried by most drug stores, that should work perfectly fine on clays...that's the one I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelbegen View Post
hi all,

I saw in tutorials, sculptors use denatured alcohol..but i couldnt find it..I asked for it to pharmacys and harwares..pharmacists give me %70 pure alcohol, it contains glycerin..glycerin is not volatile..might be a stupid question,is it ok to use on super sculpey.
JetFire76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
yelbegen
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

thank you astounding and jetfire76,

i will use it to smooth clay surface.
as a result, 70% rubbing alcohol is not suitable.
i just remembered one of my friend is a chemist.i asked to her,hope she will find it for me.
yelbegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
C. Bormann
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

It's available at all paint and hardware stores. Use in a well ventilated area. We were using denatured alcohol to desolve the old varnish from oak moldings when my father touched an outlet with the steel wool and it arched. You could actually see the flames jumping through the air from one side of the room to the other over the vapor trail from the DA.
C. Bormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Alaneye
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

70% isopropanol, I believe, is also known as rubbing alcohol. I use 99% and 70% pure isopropanol with super sculpey. 99% is good for knocking back very rough areas, and 70% is good for smoothing areas that have detail, like skin texture, as it's not as harsh.

Al
Alaneye is offline   Reply With Quote