Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I agree with you although not sure how aesthetically pleasing these are. But we definitely need to invest heavily in alternative fuel sources like solar, wind, geothermal and wave. Insulation is also an important solution to reducing heating bills.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
Babytoxie
Ghost

Oh come on, just one more...

Who said anything about it being free? I certainly didn't, for I'm not that naive. It's always going to cost. Infrastructure, jobs, and other things all need to be paid for, and if those companies can make a profit, they'll certainly do it. But when the choice was between a company that uses coal-fired plants and a supplier that uses wind power, I went with the wind power. It's actually a bit more expensive, but it's worth it to me.

And I am intimately aware of the fact that there are very wealthy people in certain industries, and government, who like things just the way they are. I deal with them on a regular basis. Solar power, wind power, whatever, threatens their jobs/lifestyle, and they'll do whatever they can to maintain the status quo. That doesn't mean I have to bend over and accept it.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #23
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
What do you do, if you don't mind me asking?
Not at all: environmental science, primarily dealing with toxicology.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #24
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I'd love to hear your take on nuclear power, since the most opinionated people on that subject honestly know nothing about it.

I'm not saying you'd be one of those people, BT. I'm just saying the combination of said people's animosity regarding the subject and their lack of accurate information always makes for amusing (albeit tiring) discussions.

... and just to put this out there: the next power source up from nuclear is already being tested/etc. Not that there's anything wrong with nuclear, but.. yeah... we've moved past it.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #25
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

The recent problems in Japan have not helped the nuclear industry. Germany announced that they were moving away from it as an alternative.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
Babytoxie
Ghost

Actually, you'd have to put me in with the people who know next to nothing about it, but I'm not against it. I have an environmental understanding of radiation, but not an engineer's understanding.

From what I understand, the amount of energy output vs. the amount of original material required is astounding. And I believe that there are certain situations where its really the only type of energy that is practical - subs and ships, things like that? Maybe?

I'm truly not against any method of power generation, unless it involves the Wheel of Pain.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
I see. I don't know if you work in the public or private sector but your field places you at the forefront of alternative energy sources. I'm just saying there's plenty of opportunity for certain people to "play the field" and make out like bandits at the expense of taxpayers, when it comes to "green energy".
It's a shame because just like you and everyone else,I desire to get away from fossil fuels,nuclear and coal. But I don't see it being done practically in my lifetime. I hope for my children's sake it will happen.
Indeed, sir, indeed!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #28
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post

I'm truly not against any method of power generation, unless it involves the Wheel of Pain.
You mean like... a cogwheel with people pushing it in circles, with only the cruel teeth of a whip across their backs for motivation?

Agreed.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #29
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Builds character.
It worked for Conan right?
By Crom's beard, it did.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #30
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
You mean like... a cogwheel with people pushing it in circles, with only the cruel teeth of a whip across their backs for motivation?

Agreed.
Cue fantastic/bombastic Basil Poledouris score...