Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Snadinator
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Help with a fix

Hello, I am buying a Thor (comic) PF from a member for a very low price. The only caveat is that it has a small break on the wrist. (See pic below).

I think I can fix that. I used to collect, paint and customize Games Workshop Warhammer 40k stuff. When I did a little bit of customizing I'd use their proprietary epoxy putty (called green stuff).

I am wondering what the experienced guys on this forum would use to fix this? Is there a particular product or brand you recommend? Do you recommend trying to simply fix the broken area or is a slim coat over the entire band required to even it out?

Finally what would you do to ensure a smooth finish to the fix?

Thanks for any input.

Snadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Alaneye
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I'd use an epoxy putty... Milliput or Aves... smoothes with water and a little light sanding when hardened. I'd probably cover the hand peg with some cling fiilm, insert it and push in a wad of putty, shape and smooth it so it stands slightly proud of the rest if possible, then when cured, lightly sand back to the original part. Looks like you could repaint the whole wrist band if you can't colour match. Should look good as new.
Alaneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Snadinator
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaneye View Post
I'd use an epoxy putty... Milliput or Aves... smoothes with water and a little light sanding when hardened. I'd probably cover the hand peg with some cling fiilm, insert it and push in a wad of putty, shape and smooth it so it stands slightly proud of the rest if possible, then when cured, lightly sand back to the original part. Looks like you could repaint the whole wrist band if you can't colour match. Should look good as new.
Thanks a bunch. I doubt I'll be able to 100% color match but I should get close enough that if I repaint the whole wrist band, it shouldn't show.

For sanding, I imagine a fine grain sandpaper is what should be used?
Snadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Alaneye
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Thanks a bunch. I doubt I'll be able to 100% color match but I should get close enough that if I repaint the whole wrist band, it shouldn't show.

For sanding, I imagine a fine grain sandpaper is what should be used?
Yeah, I'd use 350 grit, something like that and take it slow and easy,
Alaneye is offline   Reply With Quote