Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 12-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #481
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

I heard back from BBTS regarding my damaged BW statue and they confirmed that they don't have any replacements available so I'll be sending mine back to them for a full refund.

It just wasn't meant to be. Congrats to everyone that received a good one.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #482
XMAN
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post

Here is a quick pic of the damage.

Oh man I'm sorry to see that...
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #483
FROBAY
Phoenix

Serious bummer.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #484
FROBAY
Phoenix

I'm still waiting on shipping notice from TFAW, May have to re think future orders with them.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #485
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Don't get me wrong, Gentle Giant did a wonderful job with her likeness, and on certain angles and under certain lighting I consider it one of the best human likenesses for a polystone sculpt, second only to GG's own Artemisia - man, that's Eva Green herself on each and every picture I've seen.

But that's the thing - no matter how good the likeness is, it just lacks that little extra oomph as polystone doesn't lend itself to the kind of realism other materials can provide. Like I said, I can't go back now that I've seen what can be accomplished. It sure saves me money, though.
Ah...OK, I understand now.
Which materials are you specifically thinking of?
What's the Bruce Lee made out of?

It's interesting that Sideshow never followed through with that material they had demoed with the Obi Wan LSF. I would have thought the stuff that Hot Toys uses would have just scaled up. There was definitely a dramatic difference between the earlier OBK and the most recent polystone one.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #486
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Damn Viper, that sucks!
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #487
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Ah...OK, I understand now.
Which materials are you specifically thinking of?
What's the Bruce Lee made out of?
PVC for the head, just like Hot Toys - but in 1:3 scale. The body is polystone. The arms are polystone, too, but coated in translucent PVC (for the Game of Death piece - the whole torso is like that for the upcoming Enter the Dragon statue). The results are wonderful. You can do a great likeness in polystone, such as the aforementioned Artemisia, which nailed Eva Green's stare, but PVC allows for far more detailed texturing. The paint apps are spot-on, too. And the gloss on Bruce's eyes makes everyone go "He seems alive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
It's interesting that Sideshow never followed through with that material they had demoed with the Obi Wan LSF. I would have thought the stuff that Hot Toys uses would have just scaled up. There was definitely a dramatic difference between the earlier OBK and the most recent polystone one.
The effect was very promising indeed and it's a real pity Sideshow gave up on it.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #488
pdenham
Teen Titans

I just checked out the threads for the two Lee Blitzway statues.
I completely see where you're coming from now. The quality and precision there looks insane.

Yeah, i would definitely be up for mixed PVC/Polystone pieces.
I do think, that while the paint apps I'm seeing on mine are clean and accurate, they are also very delicate and light in terms of shading. I think that it's possible that with a slightly more lush and aggressive paint job, plus a strategic application of matte and gloss finishes, someone might be able to squeeze out a more realistic effect on the GG's. I feel the same that the Eva Green looks a little more realistic based on recent pics. But what I see going on there is ever so slightly more robust shading.

1/3 scale would have been sweet as well. Even if they hadn't changed a thing, just scaled it up, I would have kicked in an extra $200 for a 1/3 scale SJ.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #489
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN View Post
Oh man I'm sorry to see that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROBAY View Post
Serious bummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Damn Viper, that sucks!
Thanks guys. You can't win them all I guess.

It's strange though that apparently Gentle Giant didn't produce any replacements for this piece or their Artemisia piece. I haven't read about anyone getting a replacement on either piece.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #490
Graven Gorasd
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
Thanks guys. You can't win them all I guess.

It's strange though that apparently Gentle Giant didn't produce any replacements for this piece or their Artemisia piece. I haven't read about anyone getting a replacement on either piece.
That's the real issue. If i were to order directly from GG and I receive a broken of seriously defective statue the offer the only recourse is to send it back to them for full refund. That is not customer satisfaction and I would expect better. While i am quite tolerant of paint issues to a point i am not to breakage. They should have a few to cover that. Like the broken hair for example. If your going to slap a GG name on a product then stand behind it.
Graven Gorasd is offline   Reply With Quote