Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #20741
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Terminator Genisys: 7/10

I finally got the blu ray and gave this a watch today. I was pleasantly surprised actually given the poor feedback it has received. It is far from perfect, but it was an enjoyable watch, easily the third best of the franchise. Arnie may be old, but he still convinces in the role and played the balance between cold machine and almost being emotionally attached to Conner well. It was only let down by some questionable CGI and physics etc that seem to break all laws of science to fit their particular scene, but that is Hollywood I guess and not unique to this movie at all. I would have liked to see more of the machine war if anything.

I am however still totally annoyed by the marketing of this movie which is the worst I have ever seen, they gave so much away it is unreal. I watched the movie thinking, I know what's about to happen and it left little else to surprise, it removed a heck of a lot of the enjoyment and any suspense. Mind boggling really...
I find that too much of all the high profile movies are leaked or put into all the different teaser trailers these days. I have actively avoided all previews of anything I want to see in the theaters for this reason. If I see a preview in the theater before a movie, so be it, but otherwise I avoid them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Movie weekend!

Mad Max Fury Road - 7.5/10
Train Wreck - 7/10
The Man from Uncle - 8/10
I was pleasantly surprised with The Man from UNCLE. I just rented it off redbox and noticed it was Guy Ritchie directing. I knew it wouldn't be a total waste when I saw that but it was even better than I expected. This was one of those movies I feel suffered from the way they marketed it.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #20742
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

ex machina 9/10

great film with some very good performances, Alicia vikander reminded me a lot of Sean Young in bladerunner
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #20743
Python
Omega Red

The Avengers: Age of Ultron 6/10

This is a weird one to score, I didn't think all that much to it but at the same time it was pretty much exactly what I expected, so in that sense it delivered. This is the first one on steroids really. No brains needed to watch this at all which is fine. It is however let down by some iffy effects and poor dialogue at times. It is also just too silly, too over the top and forced for its own good at times. I preferred the first personally, but even that was far from my favorite marvel movie.

Strange then, I got three new blu rays this week, Mad Max, Age of Ultron and Terminator Genisys. The two I really expected to enjoy were a little bit meh, and Terminator which I had little hope for was the most enjoyable of the lot for me.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:58 PM   #20744
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

The Hateful Eight 7/10

Kind of a Tarantino meets Agatha Christie kind of thing, could have cut about 40 minutes from it but not too bad.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #20745
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Star Wars Episode VII:The Force Awakens, a solid 6/10 maybe a 7/10 being generous.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #20746
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
Star Wars: A New Hope (2015) - 7/10
Nice and subtle.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:40 PM   #20747
risingstar
Jedi Order

The Salvation - 7/10
- Good western
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #20748
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

American Ultra 6/10
Mission Impossible (whatever the latest one is) 9/10
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #20749
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Train Wreck 3/10

What an overrated crapfest
Oh man you aren't kidding. 3/10 is right, and I actually like Amy Schumer's stand-up. I'm a huge fan of Freaks & Geeks, but I have grown to hate Judd Apatow.

The only thing that made it remotely bearable was Lebron James. He was hilarious.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #20750
protector2814
Phoenix

Mission Impossible 5 Rogue Nation - 5/10 - Didn't really care for this one. It seemed stripped of the usual movies in the series plot-twists & turns, especially when one realizes that w/ this movie there was a weird, every-10-minute explanation by one of the characters as to what exactly was going on at that point. My wife pointed this out to me, & we spent the final 2/3rds of the movie laughing as it became more and more noticeable. She said that they finally made a MI movie for watchers like her who were constantly lost w/ the plot. W/ MI5, the writers took lil' breathers to catch the "slower" watchers up on exactly what was happening. It felt like a dumbed-down Mission Impossible movie.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote