Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #501
lucifixion
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Some won't agree, but at this price point, if $50 makes or breaks the piece, you probably don't really want it all that much. That's less than the tax I'll have to pay.
That might be true of someone from Canada, but to someone from the US, that's 10% of the price. It doesn't matter to me because Sideshow has priced me out of buying their statues just for the hell of it.
lucifixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #502
danteipp
Hellboy

Quote:
Some won't agree, but at this price point, if $50 makes or breaks the piece, you probably don't really want it all that much. That's less than the tax I'll have to pay.
Not true at all. I learned from people that waited a month on Captain Marvel and Phoenix that I could probably get a discount code and save $50 on Gamora if I was patient.

I pre-ordered both CM and Phoenix on the first day because I didn't want to take the chance that the EX would sell out, since it was a great EX for both.

For Gamora, I didn't have to have the EX, which is a simple tactical knife, so I opted to save $50 and still got the statue I wanted. Worst case, I would have bought the Reg locally for less or just gone into the after market and maybe gotten it for less.

I was also put off by the intra-week change in price on Gamora. Honest mistake or not, it just didn't feel right to me. If they sold it for $450 on day one, I probably would have ordered it then. They didn't, however, so I didn't.

In the end, I saved $50 on Gamora and $52 on Green Goblin with discount codes and have more money in my pocket for more statues or other items. Win, win in my book. Just because you can pay more, doesn't mean you have to if there is a way to save money.
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #503
OrangeCrush
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifixion View Post
That might be true of someone from Canada, but to someone from the US, that's 10% of the price. It doesn't matter to me because Sideshow has priced me out of buying their statues just for the hell of it.
Just for the hell of it? You honestly believe that?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #504
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Not true at all. I learned from people that waited a month on Captain Marvel and Phoenix that I could probably get a discount code and save $50 on Gamora if I was patient.

I pre-ordered both CM and Phoenix on the first day because I didn't want to take the chance that the EX would sell out, since it was a great EX for both.

For Gamora, I didn't have to have the EX, which is a simple tactical knife, so I opted to save $50 and still got the statue I wanted. Worst case, I would have bought the Reg locally for less or just gone into the after market and maybe gotten it for less.

I was also put off by the intra-week change in price on Gamora. Honest mistake or not, it just didn't feel right to me. If they sold it for $450 on day one, I probably would have ordered it then. They didn't, however, so I didn't.

In the end, I saved $50 on Gamora and $52 on Green Goblin with discount codes and have more money in my pocket for more statues or other items. Win, win in my book. Just because you can pay more, doesn't mean you have to if there is a way to save money.
I was responding to the comment about how SS originally said this was $450 not $500, because I remember people claiming they would pass for that reason. If you can save $50 through coupon codes, or getting a regular locally or whatever, of course you should hold out.

My comment was towards those who would pass entirely for $50. If your decision to buy a statue completely hinges on 10% savings, it's probably not a statue you wanted that badly. That's different than putting off pre-ordering to save some money, which is smart.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #505
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Exactly how I felt about that situation which is why I also held out for a coupon. The final price point wasn't a huge deal to me but I took issue with how that "switcharoo" happened. I didn't want to pay a penny over what they originally advertised.

Quote:
I was responding to the comment about how SS originally said this was $450 not $500, because I remember people claiming they would pass for that reason. If you can save $50 through coupon codes, or getting a regular locally or whatever, of course you should hold out.

My comment was towards those who would pass entirely for $50. If your decision to buy a statue completely hinges on 10% savings, it's probably not a statue you wanted that badly. That's different than putting off pre-ordering to save some money, which is smart.
I guess you mean my comment. Yeah, I recall people saying the same thing about passing over $50.

I wasn't one of them but like danteipp, I was put off by the last minute price switch and decided I could wait it out for reasons he already mentioned.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #506
lucifixion
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Just for the hell of it? You honestly believe that?
Sorry. You're misreading my comment. I meant that, in the past, I'd perhaps buy a statue "just for the hell of it" because it looked interesting and was cheap. Now that they are not so cheap, I can no longer have that attitude and must only purchase things I am either really wowed by or feel I need in my collection. Make more sense?
lucifixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #507
danteipp
Hellboy

Quote:

Thanks for clarifying, I thought you were responding to my initial comment from last night. I am happy to get the EX for Gamora but, at least to me, this is one statue that I was willing to roll the dice on.

I definitely wanted the EX on Phoenix and, even though I wouldn't display the helmeted CM often, that is also probably worth the EX vs. Reg, all things being equal.

I will say, for some people $50 difference might be enough to sway them to purchase a statue or not. For some, they might have budgeted out exactly how much they can spend in "disposable income" for the full year.

If your statue allowance for the year is say $5,000 (not counting any shipping fees or taxes), that could be the difference between another entire statue at the end of the day, if you can save $50 per statue or so.
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #508
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Yeah, I recall she was priced at $450 in her teaser until she went up for PO. Then it was "corrected" to $500.
That's a bummer.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #509
dood
Kindly Asked To Leave

if it works, it works. if not, oh well. better luck next time

Ur welcome

dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #510
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote