Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #1521
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
all of them have strong and weak points, its hard to say which i like best without seeing any in person but i give the slight edge to ss. the other two just have more things that irk me a little but you cant go wrong with any of them
I don't know who you think you are coming in here and being all reasonable and measured with your viewpoints. That's not how this place works.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #1522
adee
Green Arrow

I find it interesting how split we seem to be on this. Usually there seems to be a fairly unified stance one way or another. I think that's a credit to all three statues.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #1523
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I don't know who you think you are coming in here and being all reasonable and measured with your viewpoints. That's not how this place works.
I probably should just turn in my member card if i cant realign my attitude properly...

you still going all out on venom? comiq, pf, p1 would make for one impressive display
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #1524
Comicbookguy
Hercules

I would say for me the cons on the ss is:

The pose covering up most of his body

The weird feet and toe looks funny

The texture is not my thing

The McFarlane head doesn't look like McFarlane at all or was it meant to be a McFarlane head?

Both coh heads looks way too similar

No crazy cool teeth, long tongue like the other two companies

Another smoke base? It's done way too many times. Many People didn't like the first smoke base so we get 4 more versions.

Because of these I went for the other two. But if SS was the only one made. Heck I would be happy to own it.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #1525
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
I probably should just turn in my member card if i cant realign my attitude...

you still going all out on venom? comiq, pf, p1 would make for one impressive display
Still haven't pulled the trigger on this PF, but I think I will at some point.

It's crazy. We've had one licensed 1/4 Venom option for 6 years, now we're drowning in them. But you hit the nail on the head, they each have strengths and weaknesses, which is interesting. There's no clear winner.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #1526
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

The only advantage Prime1's Venom has over this masterpiece from Sideshow is the height. Prime1's is more imposing and is huge.

But i simply dont feel it. Its TOOO clean with simplistic paints....Also its TOOOOO busy for my tastes. It oozes a cartoon vibe to me, there is a lot going on and there is one rule in this hobby.

Too much going on with statues that have a "comic" origin = "toy" vibe

There is a balance between comic-cartoony sculpts and realism. In the past, Sideshow was the best in balancing between producing realistic statues (in order to be able for a collector to put them in their houses @ their forties ) and being 60-70% faithful to comic material...

I get that Prime1's Venom is a monster and is huge, but i cant see anything that tells me that its better than Sideshow's Venom (i dont even speak about XM's one, its toooo cartoony for me)...

I also know that the majority of collectors want big statues to justify forking out 650 dollars so MOST of you will choose Prime1's Venom over Sideshow, but this is a lesson for Sideshow again.

Dont put out PUNY statues of villains. People want big pieces to justify the new crazy prices...

If this Venom had 2-3 inches more height from his base, then Prime1's would just be a toy next to this sculpting masterpiece...

The pose, the intimidating factor, the texture (it gives it a realistic touch, whereas Prime1's and XM's are tooooooooooo clean and cartoonyyyy), the "capture of a moment" are all excellent

2-3 inches taller and case closed. My 0.02 cents
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #1527
ENDO
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forps View Post
The only advantage Prime1's Venom has over this masterpiece from Sideshow is the height. Prime1's is more imposing and is huge.

But i simply dont feel it. Its TOOO clean with simplistic paints....Also its TOOOOO busy for my tastes. It oozes a cartoon vibe to me, there is a lot going on and there is one rule in this hobby.

Too much going on with statues that have a "comic" origin = "toy" vibe

There is a balance between comic-cartoony sculpts and realism. In the past, Sideshow was the best in balancing between producing realistic statues (in order to be able for a collector to put them in their houses @ their forties ) and being 60-70% faithful to comic material...

I get that Prime1's Venom is a monster and is huge, but i cant see anything that tells me that its better than Sideshow's Venom (i dont even speak about XM's one, its toooo cartoony for me)...

I also know that the majority of collectors want big statues to justify forking out 650 dollars so MOST of you will choose Prime1's Venom over Sideshow, but this is a lesson for Sideshow again.

Dont put out PUNY statues of villains. People want big pieces to justify the new crazy prices...

If this Venom had 2-3 inches more height from his base, then Prime1's would just be a toy next to this sculpting masterpiece...

The pose, the intimidating factor, the texture (it gives it a realistic touch, whereas Prime1's and XM's are tooooooooooo clean and cartoonyyyy), the "capture of a moment" are all excellent

2-3 inches taller and case closed. My 0.02 cents
Cartoon statues looking too cartoony. Who would have thought that?
ENDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #1528
ENDO
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I noticed the seam, but it's the prototype and it's on his freaking back. Give me a break.

If you want giant statues with 600 switch-outs, there are gonna be seams. Blame physics.
The seam can be seen from the front too. The seam from the front is what I noticed first. It just look more nasty from the back but its definitely visible from the front. There is no switch out upper body so why would they make it in two pieces?
ENDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #1529
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Any one who has to tare down other amazing pieces to make it seem like SSCs Venom is the most amazing of the three is being disingenuous. All three are amazing pieces of art, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't care if you think XM is overhyped if you are really honest it is an amazing piece. Prime One is huge but it is a perfect multi artist inspired rendition. SSCs has a great dynamic feel, but maybe to much texturing. Honestly, there is a reason why this is so divided a group. All three are fantastic no need to tare any of them down.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #1530
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Just went back and looked this piece over again and I have to admit I do like it more now than I did when it was first revealed. Still don't like the regular head, but the originality behind the pose is probably the best of the 3 1/4 venoms on the way.

XM is still my favourite though.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote