Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 11-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #541
supermetroid
Teen Titans

^Yes, I forgot quite a few as well, I agree that SS one upped them the ones you mentioned although I think XM's Spider-man is up there too. While XM's first Hulk was a letdown they went all out on the Hulk Transformation and I'd say both companies Caps are on par. I'd say both Gambit's are great, XM's Cyclops and Storm are better. There's many I'm forgetting but bottom line is I think the competition helped SS improve and it seems like XM is upping their game as well. On topic, I think Doc looks great and I think he's a hard character to get right compared to most of the other rogues. We'll see if SS even tackles him...
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:41 AM   #542
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
Its refreshing to see an unbiased objective perspective. Were in agreement on the characters you listed however i have SS up by a few, namely.
-Yellow wolverine
-Punisher
-Spiderman
-Thor
-DD
-Elektra
Having a brain fog, feels like i’m missing a few.
Anyway I’ll let folk get back to their Ock, don’t wanna further derail this thread.
Anyone's opinion on any piece of art is going to be biased. Art is completely subjective.

All of this comes down to personal preference. It's like going into the Sideshow Venom thread and finding people calling it better than XM's right?

People who are personally invested financially, emotionally, spiritually(lol) into a piece will always be biased one way or another.

There's no right or wrong answer to "which piece is better" and I don't know why collectors get caught up in that.

What you can evaluate objectively are the technical merits of a piece; build quality, paint applications, assembly, keying, packaging etc. For me, the answer to that question is fairly simple.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #543
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
Anyone's opinion on any piece of art is going to be biased. Art is completely subjective.

All of this comes down to personal preference. It's like going into the Sideshow Venom thread and finding people calling it better than XM's right?

People who are personally invested financially, emotionally, spiritually(lol) into a piece will always be biased one way or another.

There's no right or wrong answer to "which piece is better" and I don't know why collectors get caught up in that.

What you can evaluate objectively are the technical merits of a piece; build quality, paint applications, assembly, keying, packaging etc. For me, the answer to that question is fairly simple.
I'd agree that it's still subjective, but I definitely don't judge a statue solely based on the company who makes it.

I actually like discussing the brands and peoples opinions as long as it's not childish like the P1 Venom thread where it's "XM's sucks, no P1's sucks"...

And I have some of both companies statues and think it's fair to compare art direction and sculpt as well. For example the original XM Hulk is no doubt well painted, detailed and huge but to most collectors the sculpt and AD just aren't up to par. And while I think XM have improved greatly in portraits I still think there's some that have a dead look with no emotion or like they're bored which brings down an otherwise great piece. Same with SS, googly eyes and subpar paint can ruin a great sculpt. I'd like to see XM work on giving female portraits more character and SS nail the production paints to look as great as their prototypes do.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #544
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
I'd agree that it's still subjective, but I definitely don't judge a statue solely based on the company who makes it.

I actually like discussing the brands and peoples opinions as long as it's not childish like the P1 Venom thread where it's "XM's sucks, no P1's sucks"...

And I have some of both companies statues and think it's fair to compare art direction and sculpt as well. For example the original XM Hulk is no doubt well painted, detailed and huge but to most collectors the sculpt and AD just aren't up to par. And while I think XM have improved greatly in portraits I still think there's some that have a dead look with no emotion or like they're bored which brings down an otherwise great piece. Same with SS, googly eyes and subpar paint can ruin a great sculpt. I'd like to see XM work on giving female portraits more character and SS nail the production paints to look as great as their prototypes do.
I agree with all of this.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #545
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post

Not necessarily, take comic art for example; there is an objective (seeable) difference in quality between an amateur and a professional. Simply put, the professionals will look (be) better than the amateur in spite of any of our opinions.

For a statue example - Theme: Blond warrior women:An Arh Hussy vs a Godbottle Goddess

To say that there is no right or wrong answer to which is better is a total disregard for artistry and the years of study, thinking and creativity that go into developing the level of skill that is on display here. I’m not saying that because one is better everyone should like the better one, but i assume that people can recognize the differences and 'see' which one is better sculpted regardless of which one they like more.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #546
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Seriously ?
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #547
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
Seriously ?
Old 11-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #548
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

It's all about what appeals to an individual. I don't like the Mona Lisa. The talent level and experience may be objective but that truth is moot if someone still likes the ARH statue more then the Harbottle. Art is subjective.
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #549
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf-brother View Post
It's all about what appeals to an individual. I don't like the Mona Lisa. The talent level and experience may be objective but that truth is moot if someone still likes the ARH statue more then the Harbottle. Art is subjective.
But it doesn’t negate the fact of one being objectively better than the other, irregardless of which appeals to an individual... Guess that part went over your head.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #550
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

No it didn't. I never said it negated it. I actually agree with that part. Just saying it doesn't matter when it comes to what someone prefers.
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote