Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 05-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #201
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Shreck View Post
It is absolutely unforgivable that one has halftone pattern from the printing on those dots on the predator’s head on a 15 hundred dollars statue.
The Fugitive 1/4 has halftone patterns on the dots? I was thinking they used a stencil and painted over it solid. Yikes.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #202
Max Shreck
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
The Fugitive 1/4 has halftone patterns on the dots? I was thinking they used a stencil and painted over it solid. Yikes.
Yes indeed. I just tried to dig up the image and here it is. It isn’t stencilled it’s a kinda decal that bonds with the surface material. Looks absolutely horrendous and it’s unacceptable at this price point in my opinion. I’d be shocked if this was how it looked coming out of the box. It’s cheap and lifeless. This is great for P1 because they don’t have to teach a team of painters to create a paint job on the statue, just have a machine or a few pople do this process. Takes less time too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32D0FE81-38D4-4E6C-988F-7D2AD8A00292.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	139737  
Max Shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #203
Max Shreck

Here’s a better one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0EE2A53B-B5BE-407A-B753-BD8CD84E225B.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	139738  
Old 05-25-2021, 03:17 PM   #204
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
. . . it’s a kinda decal that bonds with the surface material. Looks absolutely horrendous and it’s unacceptable at this price point in my opinion . . .

Geez those are awful. Thanks for sharing.

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #205
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
Yes indeed. I just tried to dig up the image and here it is. It isn’t stencilled it’s a kinda decal that bonds with the surface material. Looks absolutely horrendous and it’s unacceptable at this price point in my opinion. I’d be shocked if this was how it looked coming out of the box. It’s cheap and lifeless. This is great for P1 because they don’t have to teach a team of painters to create a paint job on the statue, just have a machine or a few pople do this process. Takes less time too.
Quote:
Here’s a better one.
Ah. Very interesting. Looks like the black ones are fine, though. The halftone pattern must only be show up the brown ones because they needed achieve that fade effect as they reached the brow. Why didn't they use a solid decal for the brown dots (as they did for the black) and then airbrush the skin color over them as they neared the brow?

That said, I still prefer this to how the JH turned out. The halftone is a bit disappointing, but only seems visible on super close inspection (or in large close-up shots). In real life, that head would be much smaller and the pattern harder to detect unless you put your nose up to it. I'd personally rather they do that than free-hand splatter dots that look like a muddy mess even from across the room.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #206
Max Shreck

Quote:
Ah. Very interesting. Looks like the black ones are fine, though. The halftone pattern must only be show up the brown ones because they needed achieve that fade effect as they reached the brow. Why didn't they use a solid decal for the brown dots (as they did for the black) and then airbrush the skin color over them as they neared the brow?

That said, I still prefer this to how the JH turned out. The halftone is a bit disappointing, but only seems visible on super close inspection (or in large close-up shots). In real life, that head would be much smaller and the pattern harder to detect unless you put your nose up to it. I'd personally rather they do that than free-hand splatter dots that look like a muddy mess even from across the room.
All I can say that I’d absolutely hate it. Even the black dots. They look awful sharp and artificial. Not worth the cash. But that is just my opinion.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #207
SDguy

Quote:

I totally agree with this. I have not seen the ones pictured above in person, but I do know eye decals look like that when you zoom in hard with a camera. To the naked eye it's a non issue though, IME.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	148442498_244890333874043_7642441304127745121_o.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	139740  
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:19 PM   #208
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
All I can say that I’d absolutely hate it. Even the black dots. They look awful sharp and artificial. Not worth the cash. But that is just my opinion.
I see what you mean. The black dots on the JH are also sharp, they're just sloppier. That makes them worse for me, but I agree that a soft edge is best.

Ideally every dot on the statue should be painted with an airbrush the way they did the hands (and the way the Cinemaquette was done). I hope that's what we get on the 1/3. Surely that's a large enough canvas that they can justify it.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #209
VILE GUILE
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Not only do they need to airbrush the dot pattern on his dome, but they need to add that wet glossy sheen afterwards to his flesh! You know, like he's in a hot steamy jungle...

If you watch the video teaser deal, he's super glossy looking & looks like he's actually alive & breathing. It really creates that realism needed.

They always lure you in with that___ and then leave it off on the actual statue! Somebody tell them on Facebook to get it right. It's not like we're asking for a change from the proto. I'm tired of their false advertising bs...
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #210
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILE GUILE View Post
Not only do they need to airbrush the dot pattern on his dome, but they need to add that wet glossy sheen afterwards to his flesh! You know, like he's in a hot steamy jungle...

If you watch the video teaser deal, he's super glossy looking & looks like he's actually alive & breathing. It really creates that realism needed.

They always lure you in with that___ and then leave it off on the actual statue! Somebody tell them on Facebook to get it right. It's not like we're asking for a change from the proto. I'm tired of their false advertising bs...
So true.

Honestly there is no excuse for the plethora of bull---- we have to endure with predator collectibles anymore. Prices increase, QC never changes. Same garbage mistakes over and over. We know they can be done correctly because the prototypes are (for the most part) as well as customs, and these pieces are now reaching custom prices. I'm so over this nonsense.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote