Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 06-10-2022, 02:27 PM   #41
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
A bust, you say?
Probably the Penguin one then, since you can see through the mouth area on Catwoman's mask.
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:33 PM   #42
Iko Iko
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by gra007 View Post
Probably the Penguin one then, since you can see through the mouth area on Catwoman's mask.
I would think so as well.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:53 PM   #43
Speakeasy
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faken View Post
Thank you so much, we are super happy with this piece and it looks and feels amazing when it's in your hands!

We would love to produce some statues but right now we only have the license for our art mask format, which is basically for masks/helmets although we have a very special bust lined up in the Batman series, which is one of the silhouettes you see in the promo materials. The Batman license is very tricky because there are so many licenses and parties involved for different aspects. So as an example, I saw some people asking why we didn't just have Michael Keaton's face so it was a full bust. That's because the cowl is one license, and MK's likeness and name is totally separate and requires dealing with another license from a totally different company, which we don't have. We're technically not even allowed to use his name in the product description.

We'll keep working with Warner and hopefully we can step in to the statue market as well. We love 1/4 scale pieces so I think we could do a pretty insane Batman piece.

Take care
Dan
Thanks for breaking the licensing down. I have often wondered how it works. With that being said, if this bust you speak of is the Penguin then please make it the next one up. I have waiting a long time for someone to make this.
Speakeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #44
Faken
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Thanks Dan, it's great to have a company rep discuss products here, especially behind-the-scenes financial details, it helps gives proper perspective. I've also seen your posts & comments on the PureArts Facebook page, cheers.
It's my pleasure, I absolutely love this hobby and I was a collector before I ever worked in the collectibles industry so I know the pain points lol! I'm always ready and willing to talk shop
Faken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:30 PM   #45
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gra007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
I would think so as well.
Has to be. He's the only one pictured that doesn't wear a mask.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #46
Faken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
Holy crap, Faken still posts on the forums!

Greatly appreciate the breakdown you provided on manufacturing costs, it's sobering to say the least.

I've heard that polystone is cheaper than pure resin, is that the case? And is your hybrid poly material different from either of those?

I'm genuinely curious about the materials used for this stuff, not a pointed question by any means. Glad to see you back!
Hi Blade!! Haha I am indeed still lurking about! I actually started a new YouTube channel a few years go but now it's fishing lol! Fishing and collecting statues were two of my passions forever but the fishing thing really blew up for me in the last 6 years or so and having fun doing that I can confirm it's just as expensive as statues lol!

So yes, pure resin is definitely more expensive than polystone, which is basically stone dust mixed with resin and the more stone dust you mix in, the more brittle it gets. Polystone is amazing for details, easy to work with, has good heft to it etc, but it's VERY rigid and brittle and breaks easily. That's why we use Polyresin for most of our statues... it gets the details you want but has a bit more flex to it so it doesn't break as easy. It's also more expensive than polystone.

A great example of this flexibility in action is on our Animus Bayek statue. We had a number of people that received their statue and the keyed foot pegs no longer lined up with the holes in the base. Likely due to the curing process still in progress ever so slightly so the legs shifted enough to knock it out of alignment. To fix it, all you had to do was lock in the back foot, and then pull on the front leg with decent force until it bent and locked in to the front hole. Once that was in, you could leave it for a few weeks and the shape would be corrected and you could pull the body off the statue and put it back no problem.

If you tried that with Polystone, you would end up with either the back or front leg shattering off the body.

So all these different resins and compounds are numbered by whatever company makes it. They don't really have names, they are just things like Compound 52227 or something like that, and which compounds are used by a company and how they mold and cast with it are usually closely guarded secrets as some can be very costly or difficult to do.

The compound we are using for the cowl itself is really different and honestly, amazing! It's actually derived from the poly material used for vinyl, but it's unlike any vinyl you've touched. The best way I can describe it is it feels like a car tire. Both in terms of the dry rubber feel and the rigidity, yet it's not in any way made of rubber, which of course like latex breaks down over the years. It's also got some good weight to it, it definitely doesn't feel flimsy in your hands, that's for sure.

Hope that helps describe it a little better and it's great to see you on here again
Old 06-10-2022, 03:43 PM   #47
Faken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakeasy View Post
Thanks for breaking the licensing down. I have often wondered how it works. With that being said, if this bust you speak of is the Penguin then please make it the next one up. I have waiting a long time for someone to make this.
You're very welcome. The other VERY touchy thing with the licenses is music... oh boy is this a tough one. We've had some really cool releases where of course the original music would make sense for the video trailer we always do. You guessed it, a whole other license with a totally different company and MAD expensive so we just don't bother. I've seen some statue concepts have up to 4 required licenses from 4 different companies needed. (1 for the IP, 1 for the likeness, 1 for the brand name/logo in the sculpt and 1 for the music lol!)

So yeah, licensing is an art all by itself haha!

Now, I can confirm that next up will be Catwoman and then we will be launching the "mystery" bust that a few crafty members "may" have correctly guessed. That bust will be probably the most advanced bust we've ever done, we're really looking to step up a level or two on that one.

Take care!
Dan
Old 06-11-2022, 05:43 PM   #48
Wurstos
Frackin!

Sad times we're living in when really nobody wants to raise prices but you know... we don't have a choice! Seems like not everybody is impacted the same way thought. I may be exaggerating but personally I don't care anymore about all these excuses, it's too easy: if you try to sell me a more than 1k$ (all included) cowl, I still won't buy it and be angry at you.
Wurstos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #49
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faken View Post
Hope that helps describe it a little better and it's great to see you on here again
They ought to add Likes to this board because that breakdown was fantastic. Thanks for taking the time!

Sounds like you guys have a great material for this cowl. I've long wished for companies to ditch the polystone and go for lighter (or at least more durable) compounds, but with the rising costs you've described, it probably won't happen very often.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #50
Blade3327
Nightwing

Duplicate, please ignore
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote