Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-02-2023, 06:45 PM   #81
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Is there anyone who thinks this is priced right also buying it?

I saw this at SDCC and not worth $1K.

So, the character on a bike as the base (The Batman) vs the sentinel hand (Nightcrawler) justifies $380 difference? Maybe add $100 for the detail but doesn't fly to me. Maybe if it could actually fly.

$995

$615
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:56 PM   #82
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Vehicle, thrones and other mounts have nearly always been priced at a premium. As they’ve rarely been considered just your normal base, but something akin to another character.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:12 PM   #83
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
So, the character on a bike as the base (The Batman) vs the sentinel hand (Nightcrawler) justifies $380 difference? Maybe add $100 for the detail but doesn't fly to me. Maybe if it could actually fly.
You make a fair point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Vehicle, thrones and other mounts have nearly always been priced at a premium. As they?ve rarely been considered just your normal base, but something akin to another character.
That seems like a rather artificial distinction rather than one rooted in the cost of production. In the example that Indomitus made above, those two bases seem roughly similar in the amount of polystone and sculpting involved...sure the bike has more fine detail, but $380 more worth of fine detail? Maybe licensing (Batman live action vs Nightcrawler comic) costs account for the difference.
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:21 PM   #84
darthwhitey
The Herculoids

Oops…redundant post!
darthwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:55 PM   #85
prototypy
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

$1K is pretty fair with such detailed motorcycle.Sideshow never did such detailed stuff before.
prototypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:41 PM   #86
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
You make a fair point

That seems like a rather artificial distinction rather than one rooted in the cost of production. In the example that Indomitus made above, those two bases seem roughly similar in the amount of polystone and sculpting involved...sure the bike has more fine detail, but $380 more worth of fine detail? Maybe licensing (Batman live action vs Nightcrawler comic) costs account for the difference.
It may be an artificial distinction, but it’s been one that has been used by manufacturers for years now. So unless you’ve been living in a cave, it shouldn’t have come as a total surprise.

And since when have we ever been able to apply normal logic to the pricing of these things. If they can find a half way decent reason of how to charge more, they will, and have.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:01 PM   #87
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
People are complaining online about the price, I don't know what they're smoking
Most likely the Hot Toys crowd.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:34 PM   #88
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Most likely the Hot Toys crowd.
Anything above $270 gets that crowd going nowadays.

I just don’t care anymore since I also collect statues, as well as those silicone busts, which do get pricey. It’s almost become something akin to lunch money nowadays (in comparison) when I decide to preorder I Hot Toy figure …. j/k.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:44 PM   #89
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
It may be an artificial distinction, but it's been one that has been used by manufacturers for years now. So unless you've been living in a cave, it shouldn't have come as a total surprise.

And since when have we ever been able to apply normal logic to the pricing of these things. If they can find a half way decent reason of how to charge more, they will, and have.
Oh I'm not surprised, and given the current overall market, I do agree it's a reasonable price. But as you point out, normal logic often doesn't apply to these products, and that's why I have no problem if people have issues with the price and want to call out the companies that make them. I'm personally very curious about the differing costs regarding licensing...we'll never get those answers, but I still would like to know
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:45 PM   #90
Iko Iko
Fantomah

Overall, I like the look of this one. And I actually thought SSC would price it around $1200 so the $1000 seems reasonable. Still, I think I want a 1/3 Pattinson (either Prime 1 or JND) so this one is probably out for me.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote