Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Fannymac
I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

Anyone Else Notice How Lax Marvel's Getting With Their Release Schedule?

More and more, if a book is running late, Marvel just seems to be skipping a month here or there. Some prime examples:

ASTONISHING X-MEN - The first run was such a disaster that they had to put the book on hiatus, then come back as a bi-monthly.

FANTASTIC FOUR - Two of the last six months have had nothing from the main title.

NEXTWAVE - Nothing scheduled for August.

SHE-HULK - #11 was just solicited for September, which means between now and then, a month gets skipped.

I know DC has it's problems with terminally tardy books (Teen Titans) or missing months (Supergirl, the All-Star books), but I think DC is just overextended right now, what with 52 and all. Marvel just doesn't seem to care.
I certainly don't think we're getting better stories now than we were 30, 20 or even 10 years ago, when this never seemed to be a problem. No, I attribute it to two things......writers and artists today just aren't held accountable any more....it's sort of a "WHATEVER!" attitude. There's no.....hunger. Plus, I think everyone's spread WAAAAY too thin......between their next graphic novel, screen play, TV show or what not, when do they have time to do their comics work?!?!?
OK, I'm feeling better.......stepping off the soapbox now!
Fannymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

What about Ultimates?
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Fannymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf
What about Ultimates?
I'm a purist.....never even bothered starting with them.....and it's probably a good thing!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
DDura711
Kindly Asked To Leave

Isn't Nextwave GONE?
DDura711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Fannymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDura711
Isn't Nextwave GONE?
Nope, they're just skipping a month (August).....issue #8 was just solicited for September!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

I think you can blame tardiness in any and all books on Image... They were habitually late and were still some of the top selling books ever. Marvel and DC sees that they don't lose readership and the change their policies..

Does Spidey/ Black Cat by Kevin Smith ring any bells
Old 06-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
JR2
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac
More and more, if a book is running late, Marvel just seems to be skipping a month here or there. Some prime examples:

ASTONISHING X-MEN - The first run was such a disaster that they had to put the book on hiatus, then come back as a bi-monthly.
Goes back to monthly in August with issue #16. #17 is solicited in the next Previews.

Quote:
FANTASTIC FOUR - Two of the last six months have had nothing from the main title.
True. Honestly, I'm not a big FF fan, I'm not too upset about this one, other than on principle, of course.

Quote:
NEXTWAVE - Nothing scheduled for August.
Already answered. A month was skipped.

Quote:
SHE-HULK - #11 was just solicited for September, which means between now and then, a month gets skipped.
I'd rather Marvel do this than solicit a book they know will be late. Daredevil: Father anyone? The master of this is Todd MacFarlane with Spawn. I dropped that book long ago, but he was soliciting monthly even though the book was shipping 6-9 months late. At least the book usually went returnable.

Quote:
I know DC has it's problems with terminally tardy books (Teen Titans) or missing months (Supergirl, the All-Star books), but I think DC is just overextended right now, what with 52 and all. Marvel just doesn't seem to care.
Yep, it does. Getting worse, too. See the recent resolicits for Teen Titans, Supergirl, and the All-Star books. By the way, Tony Daniel (the artist on Teen Titans) has rarely been able to keep a monthly schedule so we really shouldn't be surprised on this one. How many people care about the All-Star books anymore?

Quote:
I certainly don't think we're getting better stories now than we were 30, 20 or even 10 years ago, when this never seemed to be a problem. No, I attribute it to two things......writers and artists today just aren't held accountable any more....it's sort of a "WHATEVER!" attitude. There's no.....hunger. Plus, I think everyone's spread WAAAAY too thin......between their next graphic novel, screen play, TV show or what not, when do they have time to do their comics work?!?!?
OK, I'm feeling better.......stepping off the soapbox now!
I think the better stories part depends. The writers and artists aren't held accountable as they were in the past. Then again, in the past many of these guys worked in the "bullpen." Yes, too many of the writers are using comics as a side gig or just dabbling while the next big Hollywood project comes to pass. Few of the artists that ever worked for Image can put anything out on time.

But, the biggest problem is us. For the most part, we still buy this stuff when it's horribly late (and by we, I mean comic collectors in general).

We stop buying late stuff and it will eventually stop being late (or possibly stop being at all).

I think I just broke my soapbox....

JR2 is offline   Reply With Quote