Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 05-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I used to be an avid collector but not anymore. I buy packs every once in a while - opening packs is the best part of collecting IMO ... flipping through the cards is still exciting. I will also snag a few of my favorite players when they come out as rookies (LeBron, Big Ben, etc.)

I have stacks of monster boxes that I will need to do something with someday ... too daunting of a task to tackle right now
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #12
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

picked up a couple packs of football cards and pulled a signed chad greenway card - not too bad
Old 05-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
rychehitman
Galactus

Galactus, you have a great point about the 90's killing the hobby, and Daywalker I totally agree about the vintage stuff.

JG, that was a good pull!

I got so frustrated with sports cards in general that I stopped in the mid 90's. Too many things going on at once...TOO many corrupt dealers, and the odds kept getting lower and lower of pulling good cards, or inserts.

It is sad that this particular hobby is REALLY not for kids anymore. Nothin was better than spending a quarter at 7-11 and getting 5 cards and a hard-ass stick of gum!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #14
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman
Galactus, you have a great point about the 90's killing the hobby, and Daywalker I totally agree about the vintage stuff.

JG, that was a good pull!

I got so frustrated with sports cards in general that I stopped in the mid 90's. Too many things going on at once...TOO many corrupt dealers, and the odds kept getting lower and lower of pulling good cards, or inserts.

It is sad that this particular hobby is REALLY not for kids anymore. Nothin was better than spending a quarter at 7-11 and getting 5 cards and a hard-ass stick of gum!
ditto here ... I just pick up packs every once in a while these days for the thrill of flipping through to see who I can get ... they usually just end up in a stack somewhere in the basement
Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #15
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

it really is too bad that the market and hobby have become a place that kids cant enjoy the hobby - most of the good packs have an msrp of $5+ plus the packs u can buy for less have garbage in them - some of the retro sets are fun to collect b/c they have the modern players on vintage themed cards - but as far as a kid getting into the hobby its just horrid

i rememebr geting cards when i was little and pulling my fav players etc - also up until the mid 90s there was only 1-2 sets per company - now there is sooooooo much product its ridiculus - i dunno how modern collectors do it - its really a shame - the hobby should be oriented towards kids as its been for the last 50+ years
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #16
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
And probably the only grading entity even MORE corrupt than CGC
i hear that. they're currenly being sued for cherry picking customers cards. and sending back less pristine cards. go with Beckett, they're the real deal.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #17
Daywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car50n
i hear that. they're currenly being sued for cherry picking customers cards. and sending back less pristine cards. go with Beckett, they're the real deal.
BGS graded cards are better - but the registry for BGS is virtually non existant - the PSA registry has like 20,000 sets on it and the pop for cards in PSA for is like 75% of the market
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #18
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car50n
this crap is why I won't send any of my cards or comics to anyone
Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 PM   #19
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker
it really is too bad that the market and hobby have become a place that kids cant enjoy the hobby - most of the good packs have an msrp of $5+ plus the packs u can buy for less have garbage in them - some of the retro sets are fun to collect b/c they have the modern players on vintage themed cards - but as far as a kid getting into the hobby its just horrid

i rememebr geting cards when i was little and pulling my fav players etc - also up until the mid 90s there was only 1-2 sets per company - now there is sooooooo much product its ridiculus - i dunno how modern collectors do it - its really a shame - the hobby should be oriented towards kids as its been for the last 50+ years
I agree ...

and $3 for a comic
Old 05-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #20
rychehitman
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant
this crap is why I won't send any of my cards or comics to anyone

agreed. All these "ratings" systems are really taking the fun out of things and drawing more "investors" rather than guys who love the stuff!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote