Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 04-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

sports cards

anyone collect ?

personally avidly collect various baseball sets from 48-92 and 1954 hockey
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

i've got a lot from my youth still. Hockey, basketball, baseball and some football.

daywalker why 1954 hockey???
Old 05-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

heh

I just off loaded all my baseball and football to my LCS. Was 87-88 random fleer, topps, dunros and some other crap. I tried every person i knew, collector, card shop etc.. to take them off my hands and none wanted them. Was way to many crapy cards to throw on ebay too, so i made a deal at my LCS for all the cards for a wizard magazine.

Sucks too, cause all the sport card shops that where in my area growing up closed down. Oh well, at that phase in my life where i needed to get rid of all the stuff collecting dust in the closet.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

The hobby died in the 90s, too many sets and too hard to collect anything. Buying packs became what I call Pack Poker. You were basically hoping to get an auto or jersey card and could care less about the regular cards. Once you stop appealing to people trying to collect a set (hence, repeat customers trying to get those last few cards), you lose your market.
Now that only Upper Deck and Topps have the license and they have reduced the # of sets from somewhere in the 70s to somewhere in the 30s, hopefully things will pick up again.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

I just wihs marvel universe and dc universe cards came back.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinSD
i've got a lot from my youth still. Hockey, basketball, baseball and some football.

daywalker why 1954 hockey???
the reason i like 54 hockey is becuase the set is beautiful - card layout is awsome - its a hobby-historic set - has greats like gordie howe included - plus vintage cards are more fun to collect then modern
Old 05-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
Babytoxie
Ghost

Question: with sports cards, is it more common to have collectors going for complete sets, focusing on a particular team or player, only autographed cards, rookie cards, or something else? My guess is all of the above, but it seems like the more popular focus is on individual cards.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Daywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie
Question: with sports cards, is it more common to have collectors going for complete sets, focusing on a particular team or player, only autographed cards, rookie cards, or something else? My guess is all of the above, but it seems like the more popular focus is on individual cards.
well the biggest ( and most fun ) new trend in collecting is to use teh psa set registry - what ppl can do is pick a set ( either reg set like 1956 topps or something and complete the set or to complete a plaer set like cal ripken jr or something ) - PSA is the CGC of the card world - people can work on their fav set in all graded format - this has been huge to the card market b/c the value of these sets is HUGE and its not like anyone can just go out and buy a complete graded set ( there are rare to come up on auctions and when they do they sell in the 10k range if not more )

alot fo advanced collectors have started to stay away from modern stuff b/c of all the SP sets and inserts and other things - some ppl collect rc and prospect but from teh ppl i talk to its all about the vintage sets on the registry
Old 05-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker
...PSA is the CGC of the card world ...
And probably the only grading entity even MORE corrupt than CGC
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

i neverhad no intrest in these so i never got into it, but i remember the baketball ones in the jordan era were pretty popular among my friends.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote