Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 06-25-2006, 08:26 AM   #11
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman
You know.....if we reach a point where a laid back guy like Monster is getting frustrated, it might be time to leave!
the only thing monster "lays back" is a drink.

the whinning and complainting, don't bother me that much, makes for good reading.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin
Like smoking crack.
I like statues and crack!
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:50 AM   #13
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Allison
I think a lot of people don't have the extra disposable income thanks to the price gouging at the gas pumps.

In 2001, I had an extra 800 bucks to spend every month after all the bills were paid and what not. Now I have about 300 extra, and that of course can be eaten up by various things such as supplies, insurance all that crap.

The worst part about the high gas prices, is that everyone is getting gouged on all sides. Everything is going up in price. DVD's when they would come out used to be $14.99 on sale, now they're $16.99, or more. Everything is going up, because when one set of prices for necessities goes up, everyone has to raise their prices in order to keep up. Unfortunately, I can't vote myself a pay raise like our elected officials, so I have to work harder, and cheaper in order to maintain profitability.

It's funny, because here in the states we don't make a whole of things any more, but we sure as hell consume them. Makes you wonder where things are headed doesn't it?
I second your observations, Tommy! Groceries are what's killing me! My weekly food bill has gone up an additional $30.00 just in price hikes on individual items!
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage
Being that it's no longer acceptable to give a critque of a piece of work, that is anything but praise....who could blame people for wanting to go?

who said that wasnt acceptable?
what wasnt acceptable was critiquing pieces by using the words crap and other comments like that....constructive criticism is acceptable
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:30 PM   #15
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

I like the idea of closing the door on the collection at some point. The idea of just selling off though seems like a waste if you don't really need the $. Many folks seem to think in absolutes -- all or nothing. The fact is we all get older and priorities and tastes change. Collections like these should ultimately live in their own bubbles I think. If you're considering a change, instead, why not move the collection off center stage, Pare down to what you really want to keep, find a nice display case and set it up somewhere where you can just go and visit from time to time -- I'll bet it would bring back great memories and good feelings each time you revisited. Which is better than looking back in anger or regret
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Great post Monster!

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #17
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

I do agree, why extremes? There are few hobbies that you will get some kind of return on your investment. If you love sports and spent your extra cash on going to games, do you have anything to show for that in 5 years? What about if you spent your money on video games or movies, when you wanted to sell them what kind of return would you get? Statues offer a pretty good return, even if you get half your money back. Imagine if you spent $160 on a statue and in 5 years you sell it for $80. That means it cost you $1.34 per month to enjoy that statue. Not bad I say.
As far as giving your opinion, I agree with boony, opinions are fine as long as you back up your mouth with something somewhat substantial. Nothing wrong with not liking a sculpt but say more than "it suxs" or "that's crap". Explain why you think so and some might will agree just like some might disagree.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:35 PM   #18
moon_knight1971
Rescue

This can be a stressful hobby. WMK is killing me. Just when you think you have the system all thought out stuff like Phasing Vision, Chrome Ultron, Cubed Sasquatch & WMK happen! And you guys are right, the rising cost of everything else outside of the hobby does not help much at all. There's more product coming out than ever and the production lines are going to be shrinking. 1000 to 1500 will be the norm before the end of the year. My advice now is that if you really, really, really want some upcoming FS or MB, order them through D-ROD or the manufactuers website. The extremely discounted prices on the bay will start disappearing and will level off in our immediate future....
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #19
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

In the end MK1971 its only as stressful as you make it. I for one still enjoy the thrill of the hunt. The Blackhole Stormtrooper bust was probably the most pressure I've felt in this hobby in a long time. I also knew going in that if I missed out I would have to resort to ebay.

That's great advice though. If you really want something and are unwilling to pay inflated prices, preorder through comicstatues.com If you wait for the piece to be released you are taking a gamble.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #20
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish
the only thing monster "lays back" is a drink.

the whinning and complainting, don't bother me that much, makes for good reading.
I might have to take Sam up on punching you in the face.