Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #41
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

i didnt even know companies could do payments on severance packages. all her companies closed down though so i guess that wasnt even an option.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #42
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Did she retain full benefits over the course of that time as well? It's possible she was kept on as an "employee" while being paid out her severance, with everything being the same except she simply didn't need to go to work. That being the case, I could understand her not being able to get unemployment.

If she was basically booted out, lost all standing with the company (including loss of benefits and so forth) and was given a check, I find it hard to believe that she couldn't get unemployment benefits in that case.
Her service was terminated and she was offered a severance package of 2 weeks of pay for every year of service in 1 lump sum. The company offered to subsidize the Cobra payments which we took advantage of. We immediately filed for unemployment but the rules in Maryland are that if you receive a serverance deal it counts against your unemployment benefits. Until that money runs out you will get nothing. The unemployment office even has tables & formula that they use to tell you when that money is expected to run out to the day. After that you can file for unemployment if you haven't found a job in that time frame.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #43
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkari1 View Post
Her service was terminated and she was offered a severance package of 2 weeks of pay for every year of service in 1 lump sum. The company offered to subsidize the Cobra payments which we took advantage of. We immediately filed for unemployment but the rules in Maryland are that if you receive a serverance deal it counts against your unemployment benefits. Until that money runs out you will get nothing. The unemployment office even has tables & formula that they use to tell you when that money is expected to run out to the day. After that you can file for unemployment if you haven't found a job in that time frame.
Note to self: Don't get laid off in MD
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #44
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

yeah that sucks bootie
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #45
kingdomhearts
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I have decided not to get lawyer involved. It is simply too expensive to hire a lawyer. I've been with the company for only 3 years and hiring a lawyer is not worth it.

Thank you all for giving me advice and suggestion especially Underdog07.

What would I do without you guys. You guys are great. Good thing I joined this forum a few years ago.
kingdomhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #46
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Note to self: Don't get laid off in MD
You can still get unemployment but only after the severance runs out.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote