Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 12-10-2023, 03:05 AM   #351
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by reavengeance View Post
I was wondering as i couldn?t find it on the description, but is the platinum version (the one with rooted hair) made out of polystone or silicon? The rooted hair makes me think it is silicon and hair being punched into the head, along with glass eyes. I?m concerned about humidity and deterioration for silicon. Would spring for platinum if the figure body and head is polystone?
It?s only resin.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:34 PM   #352
csutkakoma
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by reavengeance View Post
I was wondering as i couldn?t find it on the description, but is the platinum version (the one with rooted hair) made out of polystone or silicon? The rooted hair makes me think it is silicon and hair being punched into the head, along with glass eyes. I?m concerned about humidity and deterioration for silicon. Would spring for platinum if the figure body and head is polystone?
On Blitzway's page it says the platinum head will be made from Resin (PU). I have no idea what kind of resin it is exactly.

The regular and deluxe head will be made from PVC, ABS.
csutkakoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:44 PM   #353
FDS
Justice League

Me personally would have preffered it to be silicon espesally at that price.
FDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:14 PM   #354
Dundee
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by csutkakoma View Post
On Blitzway's page it says the platinum head will be made from Resin (PU). I have no idea what kind of resin it is exactly.

The regular and deluxe head will be made from PVC, ABS.
That's a much softer material. Can it warp/deform in certain temperatures or humidity?
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:29 PM   #355
csutkakoma
The Herculoids

Resin (PU) is a lot more resistance to heat and cannot deform as easily as PVC. It is a lot better material. That much I know. It supposed to be much better at showing textures and paint than PVC. Also it is more fragile.
csutkakoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:40 PM   #356
Dundee
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by csutkakoma View Post
Resin (PU) is a lot more resistance to heat and cannot deform as easily as PVC. It is a lot better material. That much I know. It supposed to be much better at showing textures and paint than PVC. Also it is more fragile.
Yeah resin should be a lot more durable to temps. I don't mind fragility (just don't drop it lol) and prefer temperature resistant materials.

PVC and ABS man I'm not so sure of those, when I see those materials I think of warping if pressured by weight or heat.
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 05:41 PM   #357
Yellowbeast
Sinister Six

I wouldn't worry about the head being PVC. According to them, it gives better details than resin. Head is light and top piece so no stress. I have their first Maryln for years and no issue.
Yellowbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:54 PM   #358
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
PVC and ABS man I'm not so sure of those, when I see those materials I think of warping if pressured by weight or heat.
For something like a head, there should be no concern. It's a solid piece of plastic and isn't bearing any weight so unless you plan to bake it or hit it directly with a heat gun (which is inadvisable on any statue), it should be fine.

ABS is even less likely to sag, that's why X-Plus (a Japanese company specializing in hollow PVC vinyl figures) uses it for the wings on their figures.

All of these materials are made using different mixtures, some better, some worse, some heavier, some lighter. Most of the time a company will err on the cheap side to boost their bottom line and sometimes the cheap side will actually be heavier. Whatever the material, all it needs to do is retain detail, support whatever weight it needs to (if it needs to), and not deteriorate indoors. Beyond that, I assume it's cheap crap. The value lies in what we make with it.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 10:05 PM   #359
nearmint
Phoenix

Blitzway has always used PVC for their portraits. Not sure why they're going with resin for the platinum edition.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 10:09 PM   #360
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Blitzway has always used PVC for their portraits. Not sure why they're going with resin for the platinum edition.
A purer, higher quality resin mix perhaps? Something better than polystone or PVC?

For anyone who hasn't seen this, Faken from PureArts (and a longtime collector on here) was nice enough to break down the variations in this material stuff on the Batman '89 cowl thread. For context, I asked him if polystone is cheaper than pure resin and if the material they touted for the cowl is different than either of them. His response added to my, shall we say, indifference towards polystone and heavy weight when evaluating the quality of a piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faken View Post
So yes, pure resin is definitely more expensive than polystone, which is basically stone dust mixed with resin and the more stone dust you mix in, the more brittle it gets. Polystone is amazing for details, easy to work with, has good heft to it etc, but it's VERY rigid and brittle and breaks easily. That's why we use Polyresin for most of our statues... it gets the details you want but has a bit more flex to it so it doesn't break as easy. It's also more expensive than polystone.

A great example of this flexibility in action is on our Animus Bayek statue. We had a number of people that received their statue and the keyed foot pegs no longer lined up with the holes in the base. Likely due to the curing process still in progress ever so slightly so the legs shifted enough to knock it out of alignment. To fix it, all you had to do was lock in the back foot, and then pull on the front leg with decent force until it bent and locked in to the front hole. Once that was in, you could leave it for a few weeks and the shape would be corrected and you could pull the body off the statue and put it back no problem.

If you tried that with Polystone, you would end up with either the back or front leg shattering off the body.

So all these different resins and compounds are numbered by whatever company makes it. They don't really have names, they are just things like Compound 52227 or something like that, and which compounds are used by a company and how they mold and cast with it are usually closely guarded secrets as some can be very costly or difficult to do.

The compound we are using for the cowl itself is really different and honestly, amazing! It's actually derived from the poly material used for vinyl, but it's unlike any vinyl you've touched. The best way I can describe it is it feels like a car tire. Both in terms of the dry rubber feel and the rigidity, yet it's not in any way made of rubber, which of course like latex breaks down over the years. It's also got some good weight to it, it definitely doesn't feel flimsy in your hands, that's for sure.
Full response here:
http://www.statueforum.com/showpost....6&postcount=46
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote