Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-05-2023, 11:29 AM   #121
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
Is there anyone who thinks this is priced right also buying it?

I saw this at SDCC and not worth $1K.

So, the character on a bike as the base (The Batman) vs the sentinel hand (Nightcrawler) justifies $380 difference? Maybe add $100 for the detail but doesn't fly to me. Maybe if it could actually fly.

$995

$615
Man, this thing didn't break 1k? Not too bad at all, as I'm really digging the work/pose/vibe. But i've already committed to Bats lightening strike, don't know if I can justify, (though very cool), bats & bike.

As for price comparisons, yeah Nightcrawler was well priced, but so was Venom(huge), bats who laughs, and many of the past/recent SS releases. However, I get the feeling that the low $600ish pricing will be, & has been slowly replaced by the creeping $700ish plateau. Possibly due too rising costs, & the seemingly new norm of lower edition sizes. Lets see how it all plays out.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:44 AM   #122
Python
Omega Red

This looks pretty good to me, I don't collect dc stuff, but I'd definitely grab this if I did. Regarding the price, I just paid $1400 for a small Predator bust from Prime 1, the world is crazy atm and this could have been much worse.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:55 PM   #123
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:

I saw it, too, and the lighting was terrible on that side of the booth. I remember finding it impossible to film good video of this piece.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:35 PM   #124
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Is there anyone who thinks this is priced right also buying it?

So, the character on a bike as the base (The Batman) vs the sentinel hand (Nightcrawler) justifies $380 difference? Maybe add $100 for the detail but doesn't fly to me. Maybe if it could actually fly.

$995

$615
Quoting myself to qualify my statement above...

In my opinion...

People make the mistake of qualifying the value of something based on perceived value of other comparable items. I see this a lot. "This is worth it because so and so product is also similar or went up." Great for companies who work together or just watch each other to see the extremes of what people will pay.

However, my perspective is what is the opportunity cost to buy such a thing. Meaning, how long do I have to work or use my time and sweat to buy this thing.

So, for example and shizts and giggles I went online to see what is the take home after taxes for someone in Cali making $50K/year. Turns out it's roughly $1400 every 2 weeks.

So, buying Nightcrawler is half a paycheck and The Batman on Bike is a full paycheck (assuming higher shipping, etc)?

I don't see it and to me from my napkin logic this is overpriced.

But, market will dictate and if this ends up in the bargain bin with future discounts then I might be right.

Maybe....
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:10 PM   #125
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
I like your napkin logic, provides additional perspective.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 04:16 AM   #126
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Everyone has their own limits on what they’re willing to pay.

Some think $500 dollars is too much for single piece, whereas now we have some crazy people like me spending $4K on those silicone busts etc.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:32 AM   #127
Divo

Quote:
Quoting myself to qualify my statement above...

In my opinion...

People make the mistake of qualifying the value of something based on perceived value of other comparable items. I see this a lot. "This is worth it because so and so product is also similar or went up." Great for companies who work together or just watch each other to see the extremes of what people will pay.

However, my perspective is what is the opportunity cost to buy such a thing. Meaning, how long do I have to work or use my time and sweat to buy this thing.

So, for example and shizts and giggles I went online to see what is the take home after taxes for someone in Cali making $50K/year. Turns out it's roughly $1400 every 2 weeks.

So, buying Nightcrawler is half a paycheck and The Batman on Bike is a full paycheck (assuming higher shipping, etc)?

But, market will dictate and if this ends up in the bargain bin with future discounts then I might be right.

Maybe....

Indomitus, you are simply stating the obvious, as I'm sure most collectors have to weigh the cost/pleasure factor with every purchase, as very few can afford not to!

And to be fair regarding your own assessment/comparison, you may want to consider the following.

- Batman is A list character as opposed to Nightcrawler's B status? Therefore may command a premium, justified or not.

- If the Batbike "cancels out" the Sentinel hand, one could possibly argue that Batman's armour/costume is technically more demanding/complex than a straight-up anatomy sculpt? Therefore may entail higher costs to cast/assemble/paint, possibly justifying a higher cost?

- And unlike the Sentinel hand (that should have had a light-up!), well, this sculpt does, hence more bucks. Again, possibly a justified higher cost?

A fairer comparison would have to be made against all other "The Batman" sculpts presently being offered. And from a purely cost perspective(?), Sideshow is hands down the cheapest/most cost effective option in town. Throw in a few reward points, and it's even more so. So?

As for bargain bins? I wouldn't count on it going forward, as once they "clean house", Sideshow will adjust, as the market is dictating they must. The result of this market shift will be lower edition sizes/shorter turn around/higher pricing. It will in effect shorten our collecting windows, separating the players from the complainers. It's going to be a bloodbath.

P.S. Even the best of things come with their downside. Consider this, next time you have to scoop-up your dog's sh!t. Is it worth it? Is it worth the time, money, and sweat, for your beloved pet? Millions would say "You bet!". We just have to take the time, & decide.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:59 AM   #128
Divo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Everyone has their own limits on what they?re willing to pay.

Some think $500 dollars is too much for single piece, whereas now we have some crazy people like me spending $4K on those silicone busts etc.

Bingo! Way, way out of/beyond my scope, but man these higher end collectibles are helping push the level of excellence for the whole of the industry.

Never had the pleasure of seeing the lifelike busts in person, but the level achieved is mind boggling. Killer sculpts, hoping it don't stop.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:33 PM   #129
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Indomitus, you are simply stating the obvious, as I'm sure most collectors have to weigh the cost/pleasure factor with every purchase, as very few can afford not to!
It would be interesting to hear how many collectors actually buy based off of a budget of disposable income. Considering it as "obvious" is condescending to people without the luxury of disposable income to budget with and be in this hobby. Or get caught will more bills than income. Many people buy because of FOMO or deals and discounts. Even payment plans can be dangerous. In my opinion again, if you have credit card debt and you are paying interest on it, you probably don't have disposable income.

Quote:

And to be fair regarding your own assessment/comparison, you may want to consider the following.

- Batman is A list character as opposed to Nightcrawler's B status? Therefore may command a premium, justified or not.

- If the Batbike "cancels out" the Sentinel hand, one could possibly argue that Batman's armour/costume is technically more demanding/complex than a straight-up anatomy sculpt? Therefore may entail higher costs to cast/assemble/paint, possibly justifying a higher cost?

- And unlike the Sentinel hand (that should have had a light-up!), well, this sculpt does, hence more bucks. Again, possibly a justified higher cost?

A fairer comparison would have to be made against all other "The Batman" sculpts presently being offered. And from a purely cost perspective(?), Sideshow is hands down the cheapest/most cost effective option in town. Throw in a few reward points, and it's even more so. So?
These are all interesting justifications after you have the disposable income and decide this is where you want to put it. Disposable income is not really all that disposable to many if they are honest with themselves. So yeah, all kinds of reasons to justify why to spend that money.

Quote:
As for bargain bins? I wouldn't count on it going forward, as once they "clean house", Sideshow will adjust, as the market is dictating they must. The result of this market shift will be lower edition sizes/shorter turn around/higher pricing. It will in effect shorten our collecting windows, separating the players from the complainers. It's going to be a bloodbath.
Sideshow currently has a daily revolving bargain bin called "Daily Deals." I would count on it.

Quote:

P.S. Even the best of things come with their downside. Consider this, next time you have to scoop-up your dog's sh!t. Is it worth it? Is it worth the time, money, and sweat, for your beloved pet? Millions would say "You bet!". We just have to take the time, & decide.
Now this analogy would be more relevant if it was someone else being paid to clean up that sh!t and deciding if their time, money, and sweat is worth cleaning up your beloved dogs poo. Otherwise, this has nothing to do with spending income.

Thanks for the comments!
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:34 PM   #130
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

If one doesn’t have sufficient disposable income, they really should be avoiding this ‘hobby’ like the plague.

It can be like a blackhole to one’s finances, if you’re not careful.

And if you’re truly living paycheque to paycheque, it wouldn’t be advisable to buy more than the odd piece for your home.

And if you need to rely on discounts, it might be time to plan your endgame, as this hobby is just getting more expensive every day. And there’s no shame in tapping out sooner rather than later; but unfortunately some of us are just addicted to it.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote