Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
What would you do if you had to sell off your entire collection?

Hi folks,

Here's a semi-hypothetical question that I heed help with. As you've all probably heard about friends who've decided that enough's enough.

Honestly speaking, I found myself in great difficulty now, financially, personally and I would say also in a midst of a family crisis. It's all a bit too much to bear at the moment. Needless to say, statues would be the last thing I need right now, as the joy that they used to bring pale in comparison with all that I'm going through.

So I figured maybe I'll purge the clutter in my life, physically and figuratively and work my way back from scratch. And maybe when everything's clear, I can have room to think.

I genuinely need your advice, my Forum friends. What would you do, step by step, if you had to clear off your collection? Would you do it completely, or save a few of your favorites? How would you go about it? I have quite a number of grails and I would love to sell at current prices if I could though. It would certainly help with finances.

Am planning to sign up for Adamantium status so I can list my stuff there. Many friends have dealth successfully with trustworthy members here without a glitch so members from this Statue Forum family would be my first option. Plus I know you guys would be sure to give them a great home. I'm trying to avoid ebay as I have zero experience selling but if I have to, your experienced opinions would be very much welcomed. Stuff like what to look out for and how to be safe for dealing on ebay, etc. How to list items and and what prices so I don't get cheated by scammers or ebay themselves. I've got tons of useless junk like die cast models, transformers, spawn pieces, soccer kits, back issues of men's mags. Maybe I'd start small and see if it works. Just don't want to get burned.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts, friends.
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
Nitefall
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekrodneysim View Post
Hi folks,

Here's a semi-hypothetical question that I heed help with. As you've all probably heard about friends who've decided that enough's enough.

Honestly speaking, I found myself in great difficulty now, financially, personally and I would say also in a midst of a family crisis. It's all a bit too much to bear at the moment. Needless to say, statues would be the last thing I need right now, as the joy that they used to bring pale in comparison with all that I'm going through.

So I figured maybe I'll purge the clutter in my life, physically and figuratively and work my way back from scratch. And maybe when everything's clear, I can have room to think.

I genuinely need your advice, my Forum friends. What would you do, step by step, if you had to clear off your collection? Would you do it completely, or save a few of your favorites? How would you go about it? I have quite a number of grails and I would love to sell at current prices if I could though. It would certainly help with finances.

Am planning to sign up for Adamantium status so I can list my stuff there. Many friends have dealth successfully with trustworthy members here without a glitch so members from this Statue Forum family would be my first option. Plus I know you guys would be sure to give them a great home. I'm trying to avoid ebay as I have zero experience selling but if I have to, your experienced opinions would be very much welcomed. Stuff like what to look out for and how to be safe for dealing on ebay, etc. How to list items and and what prices so I don't get cheated by scammers or ebay themselves. I've got tons of useless junk like die cast models, transformers, spawn pieces, soccer kits, back issues of men's mags. Maybe I'd start small and see if it works. Just don't want to get burned.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts, friends.
I am truly VERY sorry to hear this Derek. Have you come to this decision quickly or has it been with you long enough to feel you are certain it is the way to go? If yes, I feel definitely start with the items you feel are useless junk but remember one persons trash is another persons treasure so of course do not set them at a junk value level. You can always come down but going up ..??

Go slowly and you can always pause or stop. Too rapidly selling may lose potential profits in the need to unload quickly.

If possible hold on to pieces that are most special to you. ALL items can usually be obtained again if fortunes change and desire remains. I always try to remember that all these treasures of ours are temporary to all and if they can help us by selling when essential, GOOD. Time to let go.

I just hope you haven't rushed in this decision but much more importantly hope that your personal situation improves.
Nitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I say the opposite. Get rid of the lot. I did this with my comic collection and it feels very liberating and whilst I thought that I would continue to collect stories in collected editions I actually ended up not bothering with the majority because I realised that I actually enjoyed having the feeling of space where as before there was a big load of long boxes.

It truly feels like a fresh start when you do it.
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #4
jye318
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Sale it slowly, and check what is the price for each statue first, I recently sold one spiderman pf ex for $850, the guy pay the shipping for $150( out country), so I made $250, it's only a month, you need to find batter price to sell them!! Good luck and of course the best way is not to sell your own collection.!
jye318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Thanks for the sentiments, guys. It really is a heartbreaking phase and it's rough. Trying my best to stay strong and sane. This hobby is such a big part of me, and to have to resort to walking away isn't easy.

I will look closely at my collection and start with the ones I can part easily with first and try to take it slowly as you guys have wisely suggested.

Thanks again guys. Your input is greatly appreciated
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
bigsilva77
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Hey Derek: My opinion, from someone who has spent money on trucks, hobbies and collectibles, and then came into hard times and sold some of the items, because I thought it was the answer to catch up with debt,and has sold it for a lot less than paid for (Don't sell anything man,because this is what you love and value(your personnel collection) once you sell it's harder to start over) and you have to live with this everyday after you start selling: There's other ways-Don't do it
bigsilva77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jye318 View Post
Sale it slowly, and check what is the price for each statue first, I recently sold one spiderman pf ex for $850, the guy pay the shipping for $150( out country), so I made $250, it's only a month, you need to find batter price to sell them!! Good luck and of course the best way is not to sell your own collection.!
+1

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote