Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
SuperBenSl8
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

No One Will Believe This

I'm a teacher in a public school in New York State. I have numerous comic book posters up around my room, I have comic ties-the whole nine yards. People know me as the comic guy. We have a substitute that is a retired kindergarten teacher. she's had to pick up subbing because when the market crashed a couple years ago a lot of her money went out the window. Wednesday she told me she found a stash of comics that were her ex-husbands-he left her 22 years ago and hasn't been seen since. She asked if I would look at one to make sure it was legit because she had seen the picture on the news that same day. she was referring to Amazing Fantasy #15. I told her I would be more than happy to look at it and eagerly awaited to see it. She brought it in today and as far as I can tell she has a prestine copy of Spider-Man's first appearance. She of course wants to sell it for big money and I told her she'd have to go to the city to do that. However, I really have no idea where specifically she'd have to go. Any ideas???
SuperBenSl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

That's a very cool story. I can't help you, but I wish you and her the best of luck!
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBenSl8 View Post
I'm a teacher in a public school in New York State. I have numerous comic book posters up around my room, I have comic ties-the whole nine yards. People know me as the comic guy. We have a substitute that is a retired kindergarten teacher. she's had to pick up subbing because when the market crashed a couple years ago a lot of her money went out the window. Wednesday she told me she found a stash of comics that were her ex-husbands-he left her 22 years ago and hasn't been seen since. She asked if I would look at one to make sure it was legit because she had seen the picture on the news that same day. she was referring to Amazing Fantasy #15. I told her I would be more than happy to look at it and eagerly awaited to see it. She brought it in today and as far as I can tell she has a prestine copy of Spider-Man's first appearance. She of course wants to sell it for big money and I told her she'd have to go to the city to do that. However, I really have no idea where specifically she'd have to go. Any ideas???
I'd have it graded by CGC pronto.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

22 yrs is a long time but is it hers for sure or if he came back or heard from mutual relatives that she had sold it for big money would he be entitled to it since it was his or at least half because it was his when they were married?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
hawkeyethearcher

tell her to stop talking about it and sell it and she will be fine. i would get it graded and go to an auction house.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

She definitely needs to get that cgc graded and she needs to talk to a lawyer. I'd imagine after 22 years its hers but I'm sure he'll make a claim for it, if/when he finds out how much money she is going to get for it.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
She definitely needs to get that cgc graded and she needs to talk to a lawyer. I'd imagine after 22 years its hers but I'm sure he'll make a claim for it, if/when he finds out how much money she is going to get for it.
I would. Who knows why he left but I assume they are divorced. Just because he forgot where it was or didn't know she had it doesn't mean that he "gave" it to her. Why should she get 100% of my property value because it got left there when we split? Did she make any attempt to contact me or my relatives before she took it as her own and sold it? Does she have any legal obligation to do so? I don't know.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

It's not like she has to give her name when/if she puts it up for auction. That can all be done anonymously so the ex never really has to know.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
hawkeyethearcher

I must say that this is a good title to a thread though. I would love to hear about the end result cause i have a hard time believing that a person just found a comic after all this time in great condition when one was all over the news for 1.1 mill recently. I wouldn't buy it from her without it being checked by "experts" first like cgc.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
rychehitman
Galactus

put her in touch with gman
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote