Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-08-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Rocket
Art of Mod

A Comic Art Fans observation

Hey gang, so I noticed something equal parts fascinating and disturbing on CAF this evening and wanted to share to see what others think about this.

I'll keep names out of it unless anyone is switched on enough to work out who I'm talking about, in the interests of not lynch mobbing a guy I've never met

Ok so I was looking at recently posted art drawn by a very prolific artist, who has been busy lately and I noticed, that a guy who was at a con where said artist was sketching, took photos of what appears to be four con sketches by the artist, and has uploaded them to his CAF page.

Now I am 99% certain that he only owns ONE of these pieces.

Here's the thing. The piece he paid for and owns, I was actually told about by a fellow member here, so I KNOW it's his. He uploaded that piece the day he got it. The OTHER pieces by this artist, he only uploaded in the past week or so.

It appears to me from the outside, and I stress I'm nothing more than an interested if somewhat offended observer, he has taken photos of these pieces as they were sketched and waited to see if the actual owners would upload them to CAF. When they didn't, he took the liberty.

Now he could simply be an art lover wanting to share some pretty awesome work, BUT it certainly conveys the messages that these pieces are HIS, when they simply aren't. He makes no mention of them belonging to others, and to me CAF is a place where you upload art that YOU own, right?

As I said, I''m not much more than an observer, but I find this act offensive in a couple of ways. Firstly he's implying the pieces are his, and secondly the actual owners of these pieces may have personal reasons for not wanting to share the commissions.

Am I over thinking this? Or has he crossed a line?
I'm sure there will be people that say he's not harming anyone, and not claiming they are his (although by having them in his collection portfolio on CAF he sort of is) and the real owners know the truth or are probably unaware of the situation entirely.
I''m very interested to hear others thoughts on this

Last edited by Rocket; 11-08-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #2
Sam
Hydra

I don't know the guy you're talking about, but I think it would be good form to note that the pieces are not a part of his personal collection. I don't think it is an actual "requirement" of the site, but it's certainly not in good taste to post artwork that is not your own without the permission of the owner in my opinion unless the piece happens to be included in a group shot such as at an auction where pieces are displayed prior to the event.

We all know people who don't list every piece they own on CAF, and they have their reasons. Gallery owners should respect that and leave people to post their own art when and if they wish.

Even in my own gallery I have a section for items that were either once in my collection or are in my brother's collection as he doesn't have his own CAF gallery. If someone were to actually ask that I remove a sold or traded piece from my gallery, I would honor that request because the art isn't mine. That's just plain, simple courtesy.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
Sam
Hydra

I think you should out the guy.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I don't know the guy you're talking about, but I think it would be good form to note that the pieces are not a part of his personal collection. I don't think it is an actual "requirement" of the site, but it's certainly not in good taste to post artwork that is not your own without the permission of the owner in my opinion unless the piece happens to be included in a group shot such as at an auction where pieces are displayed prior to the event.

We all know people who don't list every piece they own on CAF, and they have their reasons. Gallery owners should respect that and leave people to post their own art when and if they wish.

Even in my own gallery I have a section for items that were either once in my collection or are in my brother's collection as he doesn't have his own CAF gallery. If someone were to actually ask that I remove a sold or traded piece from my gallery, I would honor that request because the art isn't mine. That's just plain, simple courtesy.
Seems like you echo my thoughts on this Sam
Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I think you should out the guy.
I dunno, I mean he hasn't really done anything to me, and some would argue he hasn't done anything to anyone but I do think this is very ambiguous behavior

Just looking at the uploads again now, and he all but admits one isn't his because he doesn't know who the character is (I don''t either) so he''s titled the piece ""????"

Edit: Just noticed on one of the other pieces comments section, that ACTUAL owner has stated that it's actually HIS piece! Wow.....

He does thank the guy for taking a pic of it at the con, but still.....

Last edited by Rocket; 11-08-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
Royd
Producer
Producer

I believe I know which piece/s you're referring to and, while I think it's a little odd that he posted the pics to his CAF, I don't think that the person intends to mislead anyone
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
I believe I know which piece/s you're referring to and, while I think it's a little odd that he posted the pics to his CAF, I don't think that the person intends to mislead anyone

You are on my wavelength mate, and like I said, it's no skin off my nose, but I did also think it was a very strange thing to do, and if I had it happen to me, I'd certainly be unimpressed

P.s. Hopefully I was clear in that I dont think there''s much ill intent here either. Royd's post has me worried it looks like I was attacking the guy, and I hope that in keeping him relatively anonymous, it shows I'm not

Last edited by Rocket; 11-08-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

There is a section in your gallery on CAF for 'Favorites' where folks can post pics from the site and such that isnt theirs. This would be the area to post the pics in.
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

It doesn't seem right to post pictures of art that you do not own in your CAF gallery. It is supposed to be for art that you own.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
It doesn't seem right to post pictures of art that you do not own in your CAF gallery. It is supposed to be for art that you own.
+1

Unless you are noting that you do not own them, really shouldn't be putting the artwork up on your site.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote