Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
avall15
Frackin!

Jerseyfest Experience

I added this at the CH, but thought i would post it here for those that are not on CH.

I must say that I honestly had such a blast at this first time show. And for a first time show I believe it exceeded not only my expectations but those who were in attendance.

For me, it started off by taking the class. There were 36 of us in attendence. Each person was so eager to learn and paint such a beautiful 1:1. I had never painted one before and was just taken back how well Saul and Jim led us the whole way. There were also other helpers stationed for each section of the room and they were just wonderful. And then you had John Ficchi who did an excellent job manning the camera behind Saul so we can all see on the TV screen what was being done. Not only that, but either Saul or John would walk around showing the bust in between each step. This was not done from far away, it was shown to each table and each individual person. Such a classy, personal touch. I cannot say enough about my own table mates.....they were there for not only a few laughs along the way, but we all helped one another as best as we could with "hey are these eyes straight? Is one eye bigger than the other?" etc... I can tell everyone else had a similar experience because there was such an upbeat, positive vibe around the room. When we were doing the eyes, it was completely silent, no compressors, just concentration on getting them accurate. Very cool when silence is a friendly reminder of how much everyone was focused and wanted the best out of one another.
Another thing I found amazing was how many people were not from any message boards and never picked up an airbrush before. Yet having the instructors and helpers made everyone feel as if they were using an airbrush for years. There was such a diverse group ranging in age as well as male and females in attendence that made it all the better.
Upon completion of the class you literally had 36 different interpretations of the bust which makes it that much better.

Prior to the class were demonstrations by Rick Cantu and Steve Parke. Rick was showing techniques to use on an Alien head. These techniques were useful not only for Alien, but for many, many other kits that are painted. Steve was showing off skin tones on Dracula which was equally as informative including how someone might create aged spots. Both gentlemen are exactly that…gentlemen. They were both so willing to sit and answer questions from everyone with such patience. Such cool guys who are willing to go the extra mile to explain and show you their very own techniques.

When the classes ended there was such jubilation from everyone who were so pleased with what they had done....the atmosphere was completely set for the next day’s events.

The next day was even better, there was so much buzz in the air for a new, first time event that you can tell people were getting excited. The dealer rooms were packed with goodies (as Tom’s post has shown). You can tell people were spending money as things that were once on the tables were no longer there when you returned for another lap. This is my lesson learned…..I wanted a kit, thought I could take a lap and it was gone by the time I came back around. There was such a diversity amongst the kits that for a fan of any genre it was heaven. Typically when going to a show you tend to see familiar faces, but for some reason with this show not only were there familiar faces, but new ones which to me made it so fresh and nice to see. While I don’t know the numbers I can honestly say that at one point the dealer room was packed and it wasn’t because the room was small since there was so much space for you to walk around and not get bumped or have the feeling of being cramped. Some of the tables at times had lines and were two deep.
One thing I did make sure to do that I haven’t done in the past was to attend the seminars. These were so fantastic and informative that I regret not attending some in the past. I know that Mike Wallace could have probably done a demonstration for 3 hours and still maintain the high attendance. I cannot thank the instructors enough as their teachings were just spot on.

Lastly, was the model competition and room. That room was PACKED with kits….the level of talent was just inspiring. There was so many diverse kits that you could have spent all day in there looking at the detail. From large dios, machines, ships, figures and busts from all genres and a few kid entries. Another nice touch was the kits on display that were not part of the contest. These were even more impressive with eye candy galore. Now the thing that set it off and the big buzz I had heard was the prizes being offered. It was done so professionally from having bronze, silver and gold certificates and then having additional category prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. In my personal opinion, these were the best prizes I have ever seen. The statues were beautifully done….i mean really impressive bronze busts of actual kits. The hulk and tie fighter were my favorites. Then there were the equally impressive glass plaques for best female and best horror. Oh my…. To top it off there was a grand prize for best in show and that was the Nosferatu Yagher bust….ridiculously done! Big congrats to all the winners as those prizes were just beautiful…..oh yeah the 1st, 2nd and 3rd also got kits to go with their trophy….how cool is that????

I just want to also thank everyone I met, had dinner/drinks with each of you made my time there that much more special. I cannot thank you enough! And to you Dave, take a HUGE bow. You definitely pulled it off and made a show for all of us to enjoy not just this time, but I now know for years to come. Thank you!
avall15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Great write up, exactly how the weekend went. Glad you and so many others had a great time, i know i did. The class was such a success that every kit came out like a pro!

Looking forward to next year!
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
C. Bormann
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Awesome review of the class and show. And it was great to meet you there as well. But this wasn't just a local show. I believe Rick Cantu came in from Texas, and one of the students (Murry) at my table actually cashed in his frequent flyer miles and flew in from Austrailia for the show.
C. Bormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
moonlightdrive21
Hellboy

Hey guys:

Jerseyfest 2012 was a great success and exceeded expectations. Many vendors did very well and we received rave reviews from attendees. We want to thank all the forums and moderators who allowed us to post information about the show and made positive comments about it – we really appreciate it !!! And thanks to all attendees who posted about the show!

Here is a link that leads to pictures from the show: http://jerseyfestfair.com/?page_id=278 (thanks to everyone who took pics!)

Here is a link to a video that shows highlights of one of our Jerseyfest painting classes, where we had about 34 students: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDWh...ature=youtu.be

We will be posting info about the 2013 show and special events soon! Next year’s hobby classes plus weekend long vendor show are going to be awesome! Stay tuned.

Thanks!
Dave
www.jerseyfestfair.com
moonlightdrive21 is offline   Reply With Quote