Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Question for Richard Rae

Are you the Richard Rae who sells dodgy art, or a different fella ?
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Royd
Producer
Producer

Gerry, I'm assuming you're talking about this Richard Rae - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/...art-that-isnt/
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Royd, he posted a couple times in the Steranko comish thread, I was just wondering if he is the same fella
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Royd
Producer
Producer

Given his mention of knowing Steranko and Eisner, it appears to be the same Richard Rae. Richard organised one of the first comic cons in Australia in the mid-'80s (or thereabouts) and the guests were Steranko and Eisner.

I've never met Richard in person but I corresponded with him a number of times a couple of years back. It wasn't until about a year (?) ago when the issue of selling lightboxed Kirby pieces inked by Mike Royer as all original Kirby/Royer came up and I was disappointed to learn that he'd knowingly sold them as such

Of course, then followed the Vince Greck/Estate Clearing saga at the CGC OA forum where Vince claimed to be selling artwork from Richard's deceased estate (after people pointed out that some of the pieces Greck was offering had previously been offered by Rae). Only thing was that a check of the ABN register didn't turn up any business by the name Estate Clearing and Vince Greck was believed to have been Richard Rae under a pseudonym.

One of the pieces offered by Greck was a lightboxed Steranko/Buckler piece which was offered as all original Steranko/Buckler. However, the original pencils belong to Jim Warden and can be seen in his CAF gallery. Also, I contacted people who know Richard Rae and they assured me he was still alive and that his twitter account was still in use. Plus Mike Burkey said he'd been in recent (at the time) contact with Rae. (Richard's now popped up here and I'm guessing it's the same person).

Greck was later removed/banned from CAF for fraudulent behaviour and for taking an image from another CAF member's gallery (Terry Doyle) and offering it for sale.

Lately, a new member has turned up at the CGC OA forum known as Captain Australia who has some sort of conspiracy theory about abuse and bullying behaviour by CAF hierarchy - presumably as regards the action taken against Vince Greck.

I would not be surprised to learn that Captain Australia is identical with Rae/Greck as the poor grammar, misspellings and syntax are all consistent between the 3 identities. That's just my take on the situation.

Last edited by Royd; 09-23-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
BillC
Hellboy

I was just coming over here to post a heads up for the group but Royd has it totally covered
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
BillC
Hellboy

...and I should add that while I'm not a fan of heavy board moderation, in Rae's case an exception could be argued. He signed up (again) to the CGC boards maybe 2 days ago and within about 1 day he literally posted 100 times in 2 art threads, spouting nothing but irrational nonsense and attacking Bill Cox/CAF. He did the same thing there 1.5 years ago and pretty much took over the boards for a little while.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Mercenary Art
U talkin' to me?

CGC is one of my homes, I have alerted them. If Cap Ausi is a shill I will get the guy banned from the CGC boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
...and I should add that while I'm not a fan of heavy board moderation, in Rae's case an exception could be argued. He signed up (again) to the CGC boards maybe 2 days ago and within about 1 day he literally posted 100 times in 2 art threads, spouting nothing but irrational nonsense and attacking Bill Cox/CAF. He did the same thing there 1.5 years ago and pretty much took over the boards for a little while.
Mercenary Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I'm going to play it safe and ban everyone from Australia.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Mercenary Art
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
lol
Mercenary Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Let's make it interesting: you have to demonstrate the ability to play Men At Work's "Who Can It Be Now?" on a didgeridoo to avoid said ban.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote