Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Macethy
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Supergirl Bombshell – DC Collectibles

DC Bombshells statue (September 2013) – Limited to 5200 pieces, $124.95 US.
Sculpted by Tim Miller
Measures approximately 7 1/4 inches tall

With her red scarf, thigh high boots, and enchanting smile, the Supergirl Bomshell statues swoops in for a review as our second girl from the line to be covered.

With aviation such a big part of America’s 40s and 50s culture and history, DC Collectibles decided to go with a more aerial them for what was actually the first Bombshell statue that I bought. Was stands out immediately about her is the amount of blue and red that they managed to squeeze into every part of her outfit, with even a little bit of gold thrown in which reminds me a little of Wonder Woman’s corset.

Much like the Poison Ivy Bombshell that I reviewed already, this piece has marked attention to detail that hasn’t really been common in DC’s line-up as of late. The corset has fine intricate patterns all around and even her thigh high books have a leather texture and paint going for them. With arms stretched out wide, scarf blowing in the wind, and one foot tip toe position, this piece gives the impression that Supergirl is soaring through the skies and looking like she is having a blast doing it.

The base of the statue is similar to all the others in the Bombshell line, with name plate in front and a metal texture on the top. It is quite large in comparison to say the bases of the Adam Hughes Covergirls statues, but if you look at the width of Supergirl with her outstretched arms and flowing scarf, you can understand why it is so wide.

The sculpt itself is quite amazing with Tim Miller really showing what a master he really is. With boots that look like leather, a scarf that seems to be blowing in the wind, and an intricately detailed corset and gloves, show how much work went into creating this piece. When it comes to the paint app however, there are more than a few flaws that stand out. Firstly and most importantly to me, the colors of her hair and eyebrows were meant to be almost golden but end up being a dull yellow and orange. In fact, due to the off colors of her eyebrows, in certain light it may actually look like she is missing eyebrows, creating quite an unnerving effect. Pencil or reference markings are quite frequent on the statue also, grey lines running around the outside of her gloves or along the lining of the corset gives the impression that whoever painted her needed some help staying within the lines. Although I admit, this may be only on my piece, and one that you purchase could be flawless.

Sculpt – Excellent, great attention to detail and a real sense of fluidity.
Paint application – With boots looking like real leather and other great clothing touches, it looks great. The let-down however is in hair coloration and pencil/reference lines on the body of the piece.
Base – Identical to the bases of the other Bomshell pieces, the metal works motif fits the war style well and compliments the width of the piece.
Accuracy – Excellent when compared to the artwork on the box, the face not matching exactly but it’s nothing too serious.

Overall score – 9/10

If you're a fan of Supergirl or even something a little different from DC, then this is the statue to get. Masterful sculpting, a mostly brilliant paint application and a piece that is just fun, I highly recommend the Supergirl Bombshell statue from DC Collectibles!

A few things to look out for when purchasing the piece:
- Make sure that the name plate on the base is not broken. This seems quite common and has even happened to some members on this forum.
- Check to ensure that the statue isn't leaning excessively. Hopefully this piece doesn't end up like the Adam Hughes Supergirl which had a terrible leaning problem, but the peg in the foot seems thicker so hopefully she wont move much. However only time will tell...

Macethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Excellent review, Mack!! I liked your accurate description and well-detailed presentation. Nice photos too.

I am really falling in love with this new DC line. It is very refreshing and has a lot of sex appeal.

Thanks for the review and keep up the good work!!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Great statue, awesome pictures, cool review... 'nuff said!

Great stuff Macethy!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Xaerius
The Herculoids

Great review and pictures, Macethy!

The details on that piece appear to be very well done! I think the face on yours actually looks better than the one on he box (and hat was the main reason that I didn't pre-order this one. Impressive.
Xaerius is offline   Reply With Quote