Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 12-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Leading by example... The Bowen Designs Wasp Classic Action Statue

"Over the years, I've reinvented myself as a super hero so many times... Ant-Man, Giant-Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket...always trying to carve out a legacy for myself. But now...? ...I can think of nothing more appropriate...than taking up someone else's mantle. The greatest hero I've ever known. Call me...the Wasp! "
- Henry Pym

Hi guys,

a couple of weeks ago I was able to add the Bowen Designs Wasp Classic Action statue to my collection and I have been very happy with it since then.
Janet van Dyne has always been a true superhero to me both as Hank Pym's wife as well as one of the members of the Avengers.
Janet may have been born in a wealthy family but life has not always been easy on her. Originally a glamour girl with few woriies and lots of pleasures, Janet's life changed when she grew older. Her marriage with Hank intially had some ups but later on mainly downs with them hitting rock-bottom when Hank slapped her in the face in public.
Still Janet stood by her man and faced the challenges life had in store for her bravely and determined to overcome them.
When the going got tough the Wasp did not run away nor did she hide for cover. Instead she stood tall and faced it all and that is the kind of spirit which makes me proud.

The Winsome Wasp may be one of the smallest superheroes but Janet has proven singlehandedly that size indeed does not matter. In order to do good you do not have to be big and strong. No, all it takes is to have the heart and spirit of a hero and the determination to do the right thing no matter what.
When it comes down to heroes Janet is one of the finest I have ever seen and her apparent death by the hands of the Skrulls only emphasizes that even more: when faced with a life or death situation Janet was willing to give all and make the ultimate sacrifice in order to save the day.

The Wasp was an example to others and her leadership skills on and off the battlefield were recognized by others leading to Janet being elected as the leader of the Avengers. Small in size but with a big heart and a fighting spirit which could take down giants, Janet led the way.
That's why I am so proud and happy to have the Wasp in my collection. I like the small size of the Wasp since it emphasizes her incredible size changing abilities. It's a really cool effect to see Wasp next to a full-size statue and I think Bowen Designs really managed to capture the essence of the Wasp in this statue.
From her delicately sculpted wings to the transparant riser which attaches the Wasp to her base to her great looking costume with a blue W just below her neck, Janet looks great and ready to fly into a next adventure.
The Classic Action Wasp statue is a small statue but it has a nice presence with a big impact, I think that sums it up best.

A big 'THANK YOU!' should go to Ramon who enabled me to bring Janet home into my collection.
Thanks Ramon, you truly are a great guy to deal with and as always it was a true pleasure meeting you. Keep up the good work and see you again in 2014!

I will post more comments as well as my verdict on this statue this weekend but wanted to share the pictures which I took to allow you to make up your own mind.
So let's get ready for a flight like you have never taken before. Flying with the Wasp is quite an experience and remember there is only one thing to do should you encounter any Skrulls along your way:
Float like a butterfly but sting like a Wasp!

Have fun with the pics!

Statue details

Sculpted by: Jason Smith (digital sculptor)
Release Date: July 2012
Edition Size: 1000
Statue number: 371/1000
Order Of Release: Phase V (statue #285)
Height: 12.00" (304.8mm; including base)
Weight: 4.00 lbs (1.81 kg)

My verdict

Sculpt: 9 out of 10
What's good: The small size of the Wasp emphasizes her unique ability to shrink to an incredibly small size and the pose of her arms and legs give you the impression Janet is in full flight.
This effect is being amplified by the carved and bent transparent column, which attaches the Wasp to her base: this connecting piece not only elevates Janet into the air but the bent and curved form of it also implies Janet is as agile and elusive as a butterfly.
Furthermore the wings are sculpted beautifully with lots of detail. The wings look delicate yet strong enough to carry Janet anywhere she wants to go to.
Despite being a small statue, little details like Janet's antennae and her headset to communicate with the world around her have not been forgotten or skipped and they take this statue to the next level.
What could be better: Since this is an action statue I would have loved to see Janet using her bio-electrical wasp stings . It would have been very cool to see Janet fire a shot with one or both hands.

Paint (application): 8 out of 10
What's good: The paintjob is solid and well done. Janet's classic costume is faithfully reproduced and I love little details like Janet's lipstick, her silver belt buckle and the blue 'W'on her costime right beneath her neck.
What could be better: On my statue Janet's eyes are not perfectly aligned and it looks like Janet is suffereing from googly eyes.
This does not bother me a lot since Janet's eyes are very small (and thus hard to paint) and since the effect is not visible anymore from a foot's distance. Still it is not as it should be and points are deducted for this flaw.

Base: 8 out of 10
What's good: I love the Avengers' theme since Janet has been a proud Avenger and she definitely has won her spurs fighting for the right cause. Besides that the translucent column which attaches the statue to the base looks very cool andcreates the illusion of Janet flying in the air.
What could be better: The transparant connecting piece is placed on the left side of the base which creates an asymmetric effect.
This in itself is not a bad thing but it leaves most of the base 'unused' if you catch my drift.
Secondly I still have not figured out what the base should represent? Is it a piece of machinery or are we looking at a piece of the equipment from Henry's lab?
Janet is taking off but when looking at the base it is not (immediately) clear where or what she is taking off from?

Accuracy (size comparison, likeness, extras, etc.): 9 out of 10
What's good: This is the Wasp is all of her classic glory: the costume, the translucent wings, the antennae... it's all there and Janet looks amazing from head to toe.
I am not quite sure how this could be topped by future releases.
What could be better: I would have loved it if Janet's wrist devices would have been included since originally she used these devices to release her powerful wasp's stings.

All in all an average score of 8.50 which is a great score for a truly outstanding statue. Recommended!

==================================================================

Background Information

Janet Van Dyne

Citizenship:
United States of America

Place of Birth:
Cresskill, New Jersey

Adventurer; former fashion designer, owner of Van Dyne Industries

Group Affiliation:
Formerly Avengers, West Coast Avengers

Education:
College Degree

Physical Attributes

Height
5' 4"

Weight
110 lbs

Eyes
Blue

Hair
Auburn

Powers and abilities

Making use of the cellular implantation of sub-atomic Pym particles, the Wasp possesses the power to alter her physical size, causing her body's mass to be shunted to or gained from an alternate dimension known as Kosmos.
She is able to shrink to a minimum of several centimeters or grow to a maximum of several hundred feet. Smaller or larger sizes are possible but the exertion puts a strain on her body.
Initially, these abilities stemmed from the use of a Pym particle gas released from special capsules, and later biochemical augmentation by Henry Pym.
Over time, however, her body absorbed enough particles to cause cellular mutation due to repeated exposure to Pym particles, allowing her to alter her size at will.

At miniature size, her strength level increases as her body's mass is compacted.
At giant size, her strength and endurance increase geometrically with her height, reaching superhuman levels.
Despite the advantages of giant size, Janet usually prefers to remain the diminutive Wasp, calling on her growth power only in times of extreme emergency.
At miniature size, the Wasp grows a pair of translucent insect wings from her back, a result of genetic modifications provided by Hank Pym. These grant her the power of flight, at speeds up to 40 mph (64 km/h).

The Wasp is able to harness and augment her body's natural bio-electric energy, releasing it from her hands in powerful electrical force bursts, which she calls her "stinger blasts", "stingers", or "wasp's stings". Originally, she requires special wrist devices to produce these, but again, Pym particle absorption allows her to create the ability unaided.
The Wasp's genetic modifications also grant her the ability to sprout small prehensile antennae from her temples which allowed her to telepathically communicate with and control insects.
However, this is an ability she rarely uses.

Janet displays several non-superhuman abilities that garner her special fame and attention, foremost of which is her fashion sense; in nearly all of her early appearances, she sports a new costume, presumably designed and manufactured on her own as she is a gifted fashion designer.
She is also a skilled amateur screenwriter. The Wasp is trained in unarmed combat by Captain America and in combat utilizing her special powers by Henry Pym. In addition, the Wasp is one of the most intuitive, if not deductive, members of the Avengers, and is an experienced leader and strategist who has shown her combat and leadership skills on multiple occasions.

Dedicated to Janet van Dyne and everything she stood for:

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."
- Arthur Ashe

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY... HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Rainer

Old 12-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Rainer

Old 12-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Avengers Assemble!!!

Rainer

Old 12-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Rainer

Old 12-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Rainer

Old 12-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Rainer

Old 12-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Rainer

Old 12-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Rainer

Old 12-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Man!! What can I say? The title is very fitting, the intro is very inspirational, the quote is such a nice finish touch, the pictures of Wasp with Yellow Jacket and Antman are fantastic, that I almost forgot the beautiful piece being reviewed. As always, your work reaches perfection, friend. You are one of a kind reviewer!!

And before I forget, congrats on the piece.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote