Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

A few thoughts about Sideshow

Just wanted to start a discussion and see other people's thoughts about recent happenings regarding Sideshow.
Other companies will be mentioned of course, but I don't want this to turn into a flame war or a "Sideshow vs the world" thread.
Just keep it civil and express your opinion using your brain, there is no "right" opinion here, only food for thoughts.
My main goal is to understand if I'm the only one feeling in a certain way and if there are some pieces I'm missing in the puzzle, anything I say may very well be wrong, I've just done some homework and I'll try to back up my statements with reliable sources.

First of all, a little review on some of the most famous licenses and how they are going (or seem to go):

MARVEL
Extremely slow pace with announcements and lackluster reveals (Jean Grey, Emma Frost, to mention two).
XM is killing it in the Marvel comics, where Sideshow is on a negative streak.
Gentle Giant is outperforming Sideshow in the Marvel movies, speaking of quality. Sideshow is redoing Cap and Thor, while characters like Nick Fury, Hawkeye and Loki have never been even hinted at. This is... weird.
Amazing Spider Man and Guardians of the Galaxy announced, never showed anything and now lost in the mists, it looks like Sideshow doesn't have the rights anymore. Alex even hinted in the Ask thread that for GotG, Gentle Giant and Hot Toys are doing them... basically pushing customers towards other companies.
Igo stated that Marvel gave the license to XM without even warning Sideshow.
The whole Iron Man Maquette line looks like a rush to grab the money for movies that are years old before people decide they prefer the future Age of Ultron armors.

LOTR/HOBBIT
LotR lines are dead and Weta locked Sideshow out for The Hobbit, or so it appears. Sideshow butchered the 1/6 maquettes line herself, also.

ALIEN/PREDATOR
Alien/Predator is in a limbo, only busts and masks. No real competition here, so there aren't many comparisons to make... but still, it's not like interest is not there. Maybe they are just waiting to see how the P2 Maquette performs? Alex said that "something" is coming, probably early 2015.
XM stated that they looked into Alien/Predator license and that if they didn't find agreements for all the other licenses they were looking for, they would have taken A/P (but looks like they found other licenses).

STAR WARS
Star Wars, another limbo. Slow pace, few reveals (yeah, I know, Boba and Vader 2.0), but a lot of interesting projects announced and then vanished (Mythos, McQuarrie). Again, no real competition here.

DC
DC, one of the few licenses looking healthy and steady. Still, no competition here in 1/4 scale.

TERMINATOR
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole license always had lackluster productions, so no real news here. Also, no competition.

TRON
Dead, killed by the first release.

PROMETHEUS
Most likely, dead.

Dead.

CONAN
Most likely, dead. Alex said that there are no products expected under this license, even if the FotB and Sonja sold very well (the Undying not so much). In the meanwhile, ARH has a whole Conan line. No wait- TWO lines. One generic and a Frazetta line that also includes Conan. Another license that Sideshow owns, but can't seem to use properly.

This is a recap with the thoughts I have. I may be wrong, as I said, but it looks to me that Sideshow is losing the grip on more than a few of their licenses, or somehow can't keep the right pace to give each license the right amount of commitment. In the meanwhile, other companies are showing up and filling the gaps that Sideshow leaves.
Also, add to this the usual secrecy under which Sideshow operates and that makes a collector's life uncomfortable: how are we supposed to plan our purchases if we don't even know if a line/license is being followed properly?
Then, add also the recent issues that derived from this secrecy/lack of communication, like the PVCgate.
And then, add the old same arguments that always surface about increasing ES, free falling QC and shady tactics like fake low quantity alerts and ES bumps. Basically Sideshow put herself in a position where EVERYTHING they do is questioned as legit or not.

I know that many here will say that Sideshow has never been so economically stronger - but is this true? It may be true now, in the immediate, but what about a year from now? What if a company shows up with a Star Wars license and starts pumping out amazing SW pieces? Or Alien/Predator pieces?
It's bitter to say but when I began collecting, I expected consistency and I expected SS to be the landmark of my collecting habits.
It may be just me but I don't see the point of committing to a line, spend my cash, plan my purchases if I can't have my collection completed with the right amount of commitment profused into it. To me, it seems like Sideshow is slowly surrendering some of their licenses, both directly (like TRON, who was literally killed) or indirectly (like Marvel, with lackluster offerings and QC flukes).

I just want to know if others share this feeling, or if I'm being over pessimistic. What I know for sure is that it's getting easier and easier drop Sideshow pieces in favor of other companies' pieces.
Share your opinions please guys, I'm very interested.

PS: I'll be away all day so I won't take part in the thread until later, hopefully I don't come back to find it locked

---UPDATE---

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
If it was one person overseeing everything, then yes, SS has its hands in too many pies, but I don't think that is the case with Sideshow. I'd like to think that as the playing field becomes more competitive, we'll be seeing more attention to detail.
(I'll add this piece to the first post)

QUALITY CONTROL
This is one of my main concerns.
In the Man of Steel thread, Igo said that the customers weren't warned by Sideshow about the change from polystone to plastic because "Sideshow herself discovered only last minute, when everything was said and done". This, is a fact.
And, this leads to two scenarios:
a) the above statement is false, and Igo deliberately lied to us.
b) the above statement is true. Switching from polystone to plastic is not something you can do from a day to another. Also, the MoS PF also had quite a long delay. This implies that, for months, NOBODY checked how production was going.
If this conclusion doesn't alarm you as a customer, well, you must have zen-like peace of mind or have so much money to waste that you don't care where it ends.

I just asked to Alex about the matter and I hope to receive a clear answer. On the argument, I'll add what I know: first of all, if the (b) scenario is true, this would explain the hit and miss quality of Sideshow pieces. Basically, all is in the hands of the factory, Sideshow just receives the production pieces and distributes them.
Now, I'm not saying factories are unreliable - but consider these facts. We know that XM guys inspect themselves the chinese factories. They live in the area, it's easy for them. They make you pay a premium for QC, so right, that's it.
But recently, Jerry from PCS mentioned he hired someone to fly to China and check production periodically, and he said he himself is going to check (especially for his 1:3 line). I don't recall PCS having striking QC flaws in the last pair of years at least.
ARH also mentioned that they had a trip to China.
It's clear to me that having someone supervision the production process is a key step, otherwise companies like these wouldn't bother so much about it.
What I, as a customer, really need to ask myself is: is Sideshow doing the same? Hopefully Alex can shed some light once and for all.

DECLARATION OF INTENT
First of all, this thread is mostly about the current and future situation about Sideshow's statues production. I think that given the cirumstances and mixed feelings that people expressed recently, it could be useful and interesting to have a thread in which anybody can express his thoughts about the present and future of Sideshow as a company.
I want to make clear, this is NOT a place for fanboy-ism (either side), just a place to share opinions and help each other having a better view and better expectations. Something that may be extremely clear to me, may not be as clear to someone else. Someone may have informations that I don't have, and he may want to share with the others to give a better insight.
It's not a place where people come to "be right" about a matter or the other, or a pissing contest. This is in the Sideshow area but definitely embraces the whole hobby and various companies, comparisons are inevitable (and necessary) and I think they grant lots of constructive criticism, which in my opinion is extremely important in a forum.
Most important thing: if I, or other users here "waste" our time expressing our opinions and writing walls of text, it's not because we hate Sideshow and we want it to fail. On the opposite, we do it because we hope it can somehow help the company and I also do it because other users can enlighten me on aspects of Sideshow and its business that maybe I don't take into account when I form my opinion or come to my conclusions. Those who just think to post here to defend a side or the other without constructive criticism can very well avoid to post at all.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

The one thing I can say is that Sideshow has too many licenses. This is both good and bad. Good because you can practically release any character in pop culture for both movies and comics. Bad because even Sideshow only has so many resources (top tier sculptors, good art directors, good factories, people that check QC, etc.).

It feels like they get the licenses to lock others out of them rather than to do something really amazing. I am talking beyond may be one signature statue (example: the new Godzilla piece). Whenever Sideshow announces a line I always assume that it will fade away before it gets a chance to peak with characters people are requesting for.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
dino76m
Kindly Asked To Leave

if u havent noticed they are doing a Marvel and DC 1/6 figures line, plus too many Star Wars I havent even tried keeping up, theres a new pre order every week, so dont think they are doing badly
Old 11-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

If it was one person overseeing everything, then yes, SS has its hands in too many pies, but I don't think that is the case with Sideshow. I'd like to think that as the playing field becomes more competitive, we'll be seeing more attention to detail.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Above the licenses mentioned...

The biggest disappointment for me is where is...

G.I.Joe PF line? Has it stopped or are are they producing more? A little yes or no would be much appreciated. I can't believe we got 3 Baroness & cobra commander? So many potential with this license.

The Tron license. Another one that had so many potential and all we got was a Rinzler maquette?

I also agree SSC has way too many licenses. IMO, some shouldn't have even been made because they are one offs. Their resources are wasted that could had been applied to better licenses.

Some of the Marvel sculpts has been a little lackluster. I used to buy every Marvel & DC PFs but had stopped due to it. I was very disappointed with Daredevil (wrong pose for such a signature character. It's more suited for the Flash) and Modern Thor. IMO, if their was better resources and talent working on it, then does sculpted would had been better.

Bloated Es is another one. This creates QC issues also. SSC needs to go back to its roots when they first started making PFs. Quality over quantity and getting the right factory to produce the statues.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

I'm talking about statues only. no interest in dolls here.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post

about this, i'll powt more when i get home
Old 11-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
wanderlai
The Tick

It appears SS is focused on their baby...the CotD line. It looks amazing so far but I hope the poor QC and getting something not even close to the proto can be fixed.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Hunterkingxxl
Luke Cage

On top of having many licenses, they have many formats in which they present their collectibles. I for instance love the legendary scale bust line, but it's (near) dead for Marvel and Star Wars? Also, the converted comiquette line, which just doesn't scale up with 1/4 PF is throwing a wrench in a continuous stream of PF's.

Marvel PF (1/4) from Sideshow needs to be given a neck shot and rebooted. The poor quality and lackluster designs do not do justice to the great characters. I for one am not surprised XM got the license to do Marvel comic characters in 1/4 scale. Sideshow was butchering the entire line-up and Marvel must have noticed. Sideshow needs some competition. And that's what they got with XM. They may be overpriced (XM), but the quality and design are far superior to SS's.

On top of that, slow as sh^t. Every statue has almost a year leadtime, then reveal and PO, then a year worth of waiting only to delay and delay and delay the statue further. I've lost interest in many statues I've got on PO to be honest...

Only worthwhile line SS is putting out at the moment IMHO is the Dead line. Spectacular designs. DC also seems to crawl to a halt and hitting delays, only to join the Marvel sinking boat.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

I agree with wanderlai, I think the Court of the Dead line has taken up a lot of their time and effort and perhaps that's why certain lines have faded away or become somewhat lackluster recently.

Igo's thread asking for top 5 picks from Marvel is hopefully a good sign that they are planning to give it a much needed shot in the arm, I'm sure SS wants to give the XM Magneto a run for it's money, i think they like a challenge.
Closed Thread