Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-08-2005, 02:42 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wktf and Madjazz's Comic Reviews 12-07-05

Wktf’s Reviews

Thanks once again to Madjazz who’s jumping in for Sam Wilson who’s still trying to get settled from his big move. Thanks, Mad! Well, this was one of those weeks where my volume of purchases was low but still added up somehow. In addition to my three reviews I picked up “Spider-Man and the Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do” plus three trades: OMAC Project, Day of Vengeance and What If? Classic vol. 2. This was a good week for comics. I glanced through Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man this week but I’m going to wait for the “The Other” trade. Still…whoa!

Gotham Central #38
DC Comics
Written by: Greg Rucka
Drawn by: Kano

Why is this series ending?

Well, I know the answer to my own question: sales. Yeah, I know. Still, this has been one of the most consistently top notch book across the big two publishers for the last few years. When books like this can’t find an audience you really have to wonder about the future of comics. Will it all just end up being tights and capes?

Anyway, you’re not reading this to hear me grouse. This issue begins with a Marvel Comics type synopsis on the splash page, titled “Corrigan II, Part One.” Why “Part II”? Well, the Jim Corrigan of Gotham Central is a dirty lead Crime Scene technician who’s been profiting off the case contraband to which the other dirty cops have been giving him access (for their share of the cut, of course). The first Jim Corrigan, of course, was the human host for the Spectre of recent “Day of Vengeance” fame. Well, the GCPD Corrigan, in fact, has so many cops under his thumb that he’s become the kingpin of his domain. But not all of GCPD is corrupt. Captain Sawyer, formerly from Metopolis, MCU Detective Crispus Allen and Renee Montoya (formerly Harvey Bullock’s partner) are all good cops, aided by The Batman on occasion. But ever since her kidnapping by Two-Face, Montoya’s been on edge and has turned erratic and even violent. Allen learned last issue that recently she badly beat Corrigan in an alley way to get access to evidence that would clear Allen of false charges. Allen’s not happy, and he’s going after Corrigan on his own.

Once again, Rucka and Kano deliver a phenomenal issue. Solid tension between Allen and Montoya who confront each other about their behaviors and both are guilty as charged. To make us feel worse about Allen’s coming fate, Rucka and Kano show him with his wife discussing their sons before he goes out to bust Corrigan. Montoya, also seeks comfort in the arms of her lover. We hope this is the beginning of her emotional healing. Until next issue comes, that is. Corrigan’s fate is practically assured by the “Spectre of Death” headline on the cover and, lord knows, no one deserves it more. And we’ll see in two issues if the creative team can deliver the inevitable in a way that still can surprise and delight. I’m guessing they will. This book is my pick of the week.

Thor: Blood Oath #5 of 6
Marvel Comics
Written by: Michael Avon Oeming
Drawn by: Scott Kolins

Wizard, in their 2005 Review, gave this series a thumb’s up for the blistering battle between Thor and Hercules. And it was a doozy. Reminiscent of the recently released Thor Masterworks battle, this fight lasted nearly the entire issue and was beautifully and brutally choreographed. Yep, issue #3 probably was the best issue of the mini series. Even though issue #5 is packed with action, it’s the slowest of the mini series thus far.

On a quest for several magical items as payment to Gnives, king of the giants, for accidentally killing his son, the Warriors Three and the Thunder God are traipsing through various mythologies. Prior to this issue was the Greek Pantheon, now we have Celtic gods and next issue promises Japanese deities. And our warriors must face and defeat them all. But, though Thor may be the mightiest warrior in all of mythology, this is no small task even for him, and especially as he’s forbidden from using Mjolnir as a weapon (it can still transport him and his oath brother to various locations). In fact, in this very issue, he’s not only easily vanquished by his Celtic foe but slain by him as well. As is Volstagg. All of this seems fairly ludicrous, actually. And pretty convenient considering they just happen to be carrying the mystical items from their quest that can restore life to the dead. But, should Thor be so easily defeated? In the course of just two panels? Without even a blow struck? And, toward the end, when Fandrall and Hogun are ready to admit defeat, is this how the Warriors Three behave? I say thee, nay! Fah!

There are some fun moments in this issue, though. Grim Hogun shines as the Asgardians’ savior, brutally dispatching the god who slew Volstagg and Thor. And Volstagg, himself, shines as only he can, seized by a paroxysm of rage at the thought of not appeasing his massive appetite. Well, this probably isn’t the right issue to jump into this series. If you haven’t read any of the 4 issues to this point I’d advise waiting for the eventual trade. For those who have, with this issue you’ll get a fairly uneven albeit entertaining penultimate chapter to this series.

The Ultimates 2 #9
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Millar
Drawn by: Brian Hitch

Well, who didn’t see this coming? Can you say “conspiracy theory?” Let’s recap. The Ultimates saved New York from the Hulk and then the world from an alien invasion (with serious help from the Hulk, who was their enemy before). But since that time the team members having been dropping like flies. Hank Pym, previously beaten up by Captain America and kicked off the Ultimates for abusing the Wasp, now is in contact with a yet-to-be revealed Ultimates traitor, the Hulk is executed (not really, but everyone thinks so) for his NYC ramage, Thor has been taken down by his own team when Fury’s convinced by someone Thor claims is his brother Loki that he’s just some augmented super powered wacko, Hawkeye’s family are attacked and killed, and Captain America is in custody as the suspected killer. I questioned Fury’s judgment on the Thor thing but how could he so quickly suspect Cap and turn on him without thinking twice? In the meantime, the Ultimate have been pushing their weight around internationally and acting as a super police force for the United States. So they and the US are becoming despised internationally. Hasn’t it seemed like someone’s been pulling Fury’s and the Ultimates strings?

Yes, indeed! And it all hits the fan in this issue. Hawkeye’s been drugged and forced to reveal the government’s security codes. A consortium of enemies, political and super powered, who are furious with the United States and the Ultimates band together into a major strike force that walk right into the country, courtesy of Hawkeye’s information, and dismantle New York, Los Angels, DC and the other major American cities. All the giant men and other flying extras are picked off easily and what looks like the Ultimate version of the Red Guardian is joined by the Crimson Dynamo, what looks like the Green Goblin, a host of other super baddies I don’t recognize, and Loki. Yes, Loki. One of the best parts of this issue is confirmation that the Ultimate Thor really is the Norse God of Thunder and that Loki really is his half-brother. And Thor’s belt and hammer are in the hands of the enemy (also carrying a sickle to go with the hammer, a la the old USSR symbol) who refers to the US as the Great Satan. Finally, Tony Stark’s in some seriously surprising trouble and Fury, who shares an interesting moment with Betty Ross, sustains an injury far greater than his missing eye. Well, this book is all out Millar and Hitch action all the way. The scenes of carnage in New York and of The Triskelion in particular feel like the end of the world. These two guys continue to deliver and this book continues to be at the top of my list.

Madjazz’ Reviews

Sammy is stuck in his new place in Atlanta with no wife, lots of boxes, and a few stale pies that survived the move. It’s so bad he threatened to pay airfare for Tony Coca to come down and help him out. Ouch. Sam sounds like he is chomping at the bit to get back to reviewing and I for one can’t have him back soon enough. I said it last week and I’ll say it again – This is damn hard work. Props to wktf and Sam Wilson for doing this each week.

Well, noone wanted to burn me at the stake last week, so I’ll operate on the assumption that my fill-in was passably OK. This week I have three Mature Reader titles. While I still love mainstream Marvel and DC, in some ways I am becoming a little jaded and love having some of these other titles to be available. I hope a few of these end up on your reading list.

Swamp Thing # 22
Vertigo Comics (a DC imprint)
Written by: Joshua Dysart
Art by: Enrique Breccia

Remember the Moore/Bissette/Tottleben heyday of Swamp Thing updating the comics horror genre for a new generation? Dysart and Breccia have captured the essence of those stories in Vertigo’s reincarnation of that old title.

In the last few issues of Swamp Thing, the muck-monster finally has to start dealing with his reintegration with his purged Alec Holland persona. The best horror is what we create in our own mind.

An old man, William Dupuis, sits on his porch and tells stories all day. The only problem is that a construction company wants his house out of the way so they can build a resort. At the request of Dupuis’ ex-wife, Swamp Thing tries to convince Dupuis to leave his house so he doesn’t get hurt. Dupuis just continues to tell stories, and explains the stories live inside him.

At night, the enforcer for the construction company shows up and shoots Dupuis. As he bleeds out, the blood takes shape and we find out that when Dupuis said the stories live inside him, he meant that literally. The figments attack and kill the enforcer.

At the beginning of the story we see Abigail, the estranged wife of the Swamp Thing and mother of Tefe reflecting on her life with Alec.

As part of a previous arc, we have been introduced to Holland’s old teacher and mentor Jordan Schiller and also have been told that Jordan was in a relationship with Linda , the woman who would eventually become Alec Holland’s wife. He’s been having some epiphanies of late and is becoming a changed man late in life.

While the rest of the figments form a funeral processional for Dupuis, these two former relationships of the Swamp Thing come into play. One of the figments has decided to interact with people. It takes the shape of Linda for Jordan and the shape of Abigail for the Swamp Thing. After the Swamp Thing shares some very personal moments with the Swamp Thing and he explains to her about how he is hiding from the waves of feelings and memories that keep sweeping over him since he had to heal “the green”, Abigail says she has to leave but will come back. Alec follows to make sure she gets out of the swamp OK, but instead sees her go to Jordan and change into Linda.

The Swamp Thing does not react well to this, and something is about to happen. As things start growing around and out of Swamp Thing, something in the green utters that it “seems it’s time to become whole again”.

I’m not sure where this arc is going, but it is nice to see this title finally get solidly on track. Swamp Thing was always about growth and a journey of self-discovery. Dysart seems to have a great handle on this and is paving new ground. I also think we will see the real Abigail play a role before this is done.

Breccia’s art also fits the title well. The scenes of Swampy traveling through the green are organic. The scenes where Swamp Thing discovers that he opened up to a lie really bring out the horror and betrayal. The splash where the figment is half Linda and half Abigail shows a form of Swamp Thing in the middle. Creepy. We are only two issues into this arc so this is a good point to jump on if you have been thinking about trying this title again.

The Punisher # 28
MAX Comics (a Marvel imprint)
Written by: Garth Ennis
Pencils by: Leandro Fernandez
Inks by: Scott Koblish

This was a title I was ready to dump. I had given the first few issues of this latest Punisher title a try and was getting ready to cut bait. It was in the middle of the Irish mob story that I really got disillusioned, but the arc ended with a big payoff and the next few arcs after that were all gold. Now this issue of Punisher ends up being my Pick of the Week.

In this latest story, the Punisher saves an Albanian girl from being beaten to death by a group of men. She has been taken from Albania and turned into a prostitute slave. I loved the way the first issue in the arc ended – “Later she told me the whole story. About the day she left her village, about the old man, about Cristu and Vera. About the thing her father said. About her baby. When she was done, I knew a lot of men would have to die.” If that is not vintage Punisher, I don’t know what is.

The thing that makes a Punisher story good is that he can’t start out as the main character. The Punisher punishes, and so care must be made in setting up scenarios worthy of being punished. After that has occurred and the Punisher gets the scent, it is all about Frank Castle taking charge of events from people who think they have all the bases covered and serving up notice that crime does not pay. This 4th issue in a 6 issue arc is the point where Castle brings it.

As a backstory, Detective Westin is on the take from the slaver Cristu. He maneuvers Captain Price into declaring war on the Punisher. This isn’t the kind of pursuit of the Punisher we have seen before. This is done by having cops pose as having been brutalized by the Punisher. Many cops secretly condone what the Punisher does so convincing them that the Punisher needs to be brought to justice is part of the battle. Westin and Price may hav alienated a few of the officers who were forced to participate in the charade so we will see how this ultimately plays out.

Ennis has upped his game. This is a character driven story and this is one of the more impressive setups for the Punisher to bring down. These are bad men that deserve to be brought down. Add an in-fight struggle for power among the old and the new within the Albanian organization and you have yourself a very compelling story. If you have not checked out the Punisher in a while, come join the party, but wear your flax jacket!

Supreme Power: Nighthawk issue # 4 of (5 or 6 – the cover says 6 but at the end of issue #4 it says “to be concluded”)
MAX Comics (a Marvel imprint)
Written by: Daniel Way
Art by: Steve Dillon

This is not your Uncle’s Squadron Supreme. J. Michael Straczynski has done an incredible job of re-imagining these characters. Say what you will about what JMS did to Gwen Stacy, he has been one of the few that has been able to come into comics from a different entertainment medium and excel. Rising Stars and Midnight Nation were not flukes.

The Supreme Power title is on temporary hiatus after events in that title, and there are two mini-series going on. After these mini-series end, the Supreme Power title will resume with a new #1 and deal with the ramifications.

This Nighthawk shares the name Kyle Richmond and a millionaire status with the Nighthawk of Defenders fame, but similarities end there. This Nighthawk happens to be black, but until now we really haven’t been hit over the head with it. While it has not been the major plot, there are some strong racial overtones and language in this story.

At the beginning of the story, Steven Binst has been denied parole. We learn that he was a pharmacist. A black lady had come into the pharmacy for medication for her daughter, but not the other 2 children she was watching as the insurance only covered her own daughter. Binst offered to give her the drugs for all of them for free, even for her mother who was staying with them. They all died.

Binst escapes from prison by killing off a clown and taking his place (you’ll have to read, but trust me, it works). A bunch of drug addicts begin dropping like flies and we assume that Binst haas made this occur although we have not seen any direct evidence of it. The Mayor is not broken up about drug addicts dropping like flies.

We do know that he has killed off the Mayor’s entire family at the Mayor’s daughter’s birthday party by poisoning them in an appearance at the party as a clown. The Mayor subsequently blows his own head off during a press conference due to extenuating circumstances that I will not ruin for you here.

As Hyperion reflects aspects of Superman, this Nighthawk reflects aspects of Batman. Nighthawk also appears to be channeling the Punisher, though. This “Batman” kills, maims, and tortures. This path of destruction leads to a drug ring lead by a retired circuit court judge and 2 sherriff’s deputies.

At the end of issue 4, Binst gets the drop on Nighthawk and he is out cold and at this mass murderer’s mercy. How will this mini-series wrap up, and how will this lead over into the new Marvel Knights: Supreme Power title?

Dillon’s art helps bring out the situational humor in the story. This is one of the cooler talents he has. This ability gives the Binst character an extra edge of creepiness.

If you have not been following these titles, check them out. Supreme Power, Hyperion, and Nighthawk are all good reads. I especially love the JMS premise for the Hyperion character. It reads like a “what if” Superman were discovered by the government instead of farmers. He ends up getting raised and indoctrinated, but eventually sees through the ruse perpetrated on his entire life and has to come to terms with it. Check out these books.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:45 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Review

Superman: Secret Identity
DC Comics
Written by: Kurt Busiek
Drawn & Colored by: Stuart Immonen

“Superman: Secret Identity” is a Superman story without Superman, at least as we all know him. In this beautifully written and finely illustrated tale, the DC Universe exists in four color art form in the pages of comic books as it does for all of us. In other words, it’s not real. But Superman is the most famous comic book character that ever existed, and a family named Kent in Picketsville, KS thinks it would be fun to name to name their new born son “Clark.” But what happens when your name really is Clark Kent and you enter high school? Having gone through high school in the 1970s with the name of a famous football player (anyone remember “Mean” Joe Greene?), I know something about this. Your life becomes miserable, that’s what, and Clark is teased and tortured mercilessly. He becomes a lonely, introspective boy, basically a morally grounded good kid but whose personality reflects a degree of anger and sadness. But then something remarkable happens. On a solitary night camping out in the woods, Clark discovers he has suddenly acquired the powers of the Man of Steel. He floats in the air and then flies; he has super strength, invulnerability and all of Superman’s other powers. How? We never really find out. The delicious irony, though, is that he now is teased for being something he’s not when, in reality, he’s hiding the very abilities that would cause his tormentors to stop in their tracks.

But this is not a solitary tale of the teen Clark. In fact, it’s a collection of stories about Clark as he moves through his life. Each one begins with a Superman reference out of time to reflect each stage of this Clark’s life: Joe Shuster’s early Superman leads off the teen Clark tale, Wayne Boring’s formative Superman precedes the early adult story, Curt Swan’s more refined modern Superman kicks off the third part, and Bruce Timm’s more current animated Superman introduces the final tale that takes us into Clark’s old age. There is no climactic battle with a vicious super villain. In fact, there’s no villain at all, beyond the villains we find in the news every day. And speaking of “every day,” the focus of these stories about Clark is what I and, hopefully, other comic book readers have always wondered: what would life be like if suddenly I had super powers? What choices would I make? Would I be perceived as a help or a threat? Who should I tell about them? And can I really make a difference and, if so, how?

Kurt Busiek, one of our most accomplished modern comics writers, whose work includes Marvels, Astro City, The Avengers and JLA/Avengers, wisely decided that this book’s success would stem from its narration, finding Clark’s voice and making that voice our guide through these four stories. Clark’s loneliness, anger, happiness and sheer exultant joy take the reader up and down with him. When he finds love with an Indian woman name Lois Chaudhari, an environmental designer, we smile for Clark and when he learns they are about to have children we share Clark’s joy (and the scene of him leaping multiple times out of the water like a dolphin is priceless). But Busiek also wisely decided that his book’s success would come in letting this be Stuart Immonen’s book which he merely would script. I’ve never been a fan of Immonen’s work on Superman, Thor or the other titles on which he’s worked, but here his art and colors are absolutely stunning. Like in Loeb/Sale’s “Superman For All Seasons,” we are given everything from huge panoramic shots, sometimes from or even of space, as well as the detail on each character’s face to perfectly communicate the emotions being expressed. Thanks to these two creators, “Superman: Secret Identity” is a perfectly crafted “tale in the life” story that works beautifully for Superman and non-Superman fans alike. Clearly this work was a labor of love (just read Busiek’s intro) that should be on every comic lover’s book shelf.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

thanks for the kind words fellas. Off to unpack in a second.

SH$#, I missed nighthawk mad, did it just come out this week? The new LCS was a little confusing, I'll have to go back. Sheesh. I still haven't even read all of last weeks comics...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
imthkman
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson

SH$#, I missed nighthawk mad, did it just come out this week? The new LCS was a little confusing, I'll have to go back. Sheesh. I still haven't even read all of last weeks comics...
Are you going to the one in Smyrna I sent you? The last time I was there, I thought the way they displayed their comics was a bit confusing. It's been a couple years though. Oh, well. I'm sure you'll get acclimated. Welcome to Georgia.
imthkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
The Ultimates 2 #9

...what looks like the Ultimate version of the Red Guardian is joined by the Crimson Dynamo, what looks like the Green Goblin, a host of other super baddies I don’t recognize, and Loki.
This was an awesome issue although I was thinking that we had seen parts of this before with the Skrull invasion of volume 1...but with not as disastrous a result. Oh & I think one of the characters on the last page was Ultimate ABOMINATION!

Applause for Millar & Hitch.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthkman
Are you going to the one in Smyrna I sent you? The last time I was there, I thought the way they displayed their comics was a bit confusing. It's been a couple years though. Oh, well. I'm sure you'll get acclimated. Welcome to Georgia.

yeah, titans comics. Thanks for the welcome yo...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal
This was an awesome issue although I was thinking that we had seen parts of this before with the Skrull invasion of volume 1...but with not as disastrous a result. Oh & I think one of the characters on the last page was Ultimate ABOMINATION!

Applause for Millar & Hitch.
Looks like a version of the Abomination, for sure. Good call. Has he surfaced in other Ultimate U books before?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Looks like a version of the Abomination, for sure. Good call. Has he surfaced in other Ultimate U books before?
Not that I'm aware of.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #9
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson

Yes, new this week. And it's a damn fine read.

That's been one of the good impacts of having to do the reviews. I've caught up on some of my reading!
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
Azog
Sailor Moon

I hope they show more about the Ultimate Abomination, unlike Ultimate Fantastic Four where we are still waiting to hear about Ultimate Man-Thing from the get go...
Azog is offline   Reply With Quote