Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 04-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

New Marvel Movie News!

In addition to Iron Man, mentioned in another thread (http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=27528), check out these other works in progress. I'm hoping for greatness on the Thor movie!!!

JON FAVREAU TO ADAPT, DIRECT IRON MAN FOR MARVEL

He may have played Matt Murdock’s best friend, Foggy Nelson In the film version of Daredevil, but when it comes to a film version of Marvel’s Iron Man, Jon Favreau has a much larger role than that of a supporting character.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel has tapped the actor/screenwriter/director to develop and direct Iron Man, working on the script from Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway. While many may only remember Favreau as Nelson or perhaps from his breakout role in Swingers, Favreau has moved recently, to work behind the camera, directing last year’s Zathura, executive producing the acclaimed Green Street Hooligans, and directing Elf, among others. Favreau is also attached to direct a film version of John Carter, Warlord of Mars.

As Favreau said in an interview quoted in the trade, he’ll be looking to use CGI with the project, something he has been reluctant to do, making Iron Man his first film which will use the technology extensively. “I think that now, through motion-capture and the integration of miniatures with CGI, like in King Kong, I'm starting to be a lot more convinced by what the technology can do,” Favreau is quoted as saying. “But the idea of using CGI and relying solely on that to tell your story, those days are past. I think that integrating practical filmmaking and augmenting it with CGI is the key to making it an emotionally involved story."

If things move according to plan, Iron Man will begin production in early 2007.

The announcement of Favreau’s connection with Iron Man was only one of a handful of Marvel film developments cited by the Reporter. In addition to Iron Man:

- a sequel to Hulk is fully in the works, written by Zak (X2, X3) Penn

- Shaun of the Dead co-writer Edgar Wright is adapting Ant-Man. Wright will direct and co-write the film version with Joe Cornish.

- Captain Americais being adapted by David (Road to Perdition) Self, who is also adapting/has adapted Namor and Deathlok

- Andrew (Hoolow Man) Marlow is adapting Nick Fury.

- Mark (Poseidon) Protosevich is adapting Thor."In the comics, the stories that appealed to me most were the features called 'Tales of Asgard,' " Protosevich told the Reporter. "They were very much based on the traditional Norse myths and how the relationship between being like Thor and Loki and Thor and Odin, and how these beings manifested themselves. I don't want to give too much away, but I will say the movie will take place in the world of myth and legend but will not betray some of the thematic elements of the comics that made them so appealing, like the idea of a god growing to truly understand man."

All the films will be produced by Marvel, as part of their plan to become their own production house (for which they raised $525 million), and distribute the films through Paramount (the Hulk sequel is already set up to be distributed through Universal).
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote