Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wktf's and Sam Wilson's Reviews 5/25/06

Wktf’s Reviews

Pretty big week in comics. My pull included 52 which is still on schedule, She-Hulk in which Civil War permeates, Black Panther in which I saw a villain I thought Reggie Hudlin swore he’d never put in his book, and New Avengers which I bought despite Mike Deodato’s art. But my pick of the week is a bit of an unconventional choice: Fantastic Four Marvel Masterworks #10. Why? Well, it represents the end of the Lee/Kirby era on the FF after 102 straight issues, and this volume sports Kirby tribute essays by collaborators, creators and publishers such as Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, D_ick Ayers, Joe Sinnot, Jack Morrow (owner of TwoMorrows Publishing, where The Jack Kirby Collector magazine is published), Greg Theakston and Mark Evanier (who actually, in his younger days, assisted The King before making his name in TV cartoons). Plus, there’s great unused cover art, photos of Joe Sinnott both with Jack and with Stan, and pages of Kirby FF pencil page art. Yep, this is the book to beat this week. But, for readers who may not want to shell out $49.99 for a HC trade, then my comic book pick of the week is my first review out of the gate…

Batman # 653
DC Comics
Written by: James Robinson
Drawn by: Don Kramer

This issue gave me chills. One happy outcome of the famous “Hush” storyline was that Harvey Dent’s face had been reconstructed and, as a result, his fractured personality had healed. But the prior five parts of this One Year Later Story arc, whose title is “Face the Face,” has been filling our heads with doubts about Harvey. Thus far, we’ve learned that Batman left Gotham City for a year and left it under Harvey’s protection. Up until this issue we’ve been in the dark about exactly what happened and how Harvey came to take over Batman’s charge. And, recently, some Bat-villains, including KGBeast, Magpie, Orca, and the Ventriloquist/Scarface have started dying in very curious ways, primarily with two bullet holes in each victim. Could it be that Batman underestimated Harvey’s ability to handle this pressure, as he did with Azrael after the “Broken Bat” story? Indeed, in the last issue of Detective Harvey’s been hearing voices, and he’s been talking back to them.

This issue is an all Harvey issue. Batman appears only in flashbacks. Flashbacks wherein Harvey is filling in the blanks for his Two-Face persona who wants to know how he came to take Batman’s place. Yes, Two-Face is talking to Harvey. Finally we witness Batman’s post-Infinite Crisis conversation with Harvey, the training Harvey endures, the two of them taking on the Gotham underworld as Harvey’s trial-by-fire. But, while this storyline fills in some big blanks, let’s not forget why Harvey’s telling this story and to whom. Throughout this issue Harvey parries, debates and resists the Two-Face persona who appears to him in the shattered mirror fragments around the floor and walls of his seedy hotel room. Yes, Harvey is resisting but Two-Face is persistent and, of course, he knows how Harvey’s mind works. Though it was the scarring of his face that created Two-Face long ago, it appears ‘Face still lives, even if only below the surface, even when Harvey is healed. But how to bring Two-Face, who desperately wants to live again, above the surface? The answer is truly, horribly shocking. While the gruesome cover image leaves little for the reader to infer as to the outcome, it’s really the process for getting there that’s where this story’s shock value lies. And Harvey’s belt buckle, the symbol on which is obscured until the final page, is a very nice artistic touch.

Poor Harvey. Poor, poor Harvey.

Fantastic Four: A Death in the Family
Marvel Comics
Written by: Karl Kesel
Drawn by: Lee Weeks

In the trade press Marvel EIC Joe Quesada had sworn that (I’m paraphrasing) this was not a gimmick and that, yes, Sue Richards really does die in this issue. Of course, the trade press also has made much hooey about the fact that the events in Civil War are supposed to split up the FF, most notably Reed and Sue take different sides. So, if Sue’s going to be a presence in Civil War, how can she die in this one-shot which steals it’s title from the old Death of Jason Todd story? Well, without spoiling too much I’ll corroborate that, yes, Sue really does die but, unfortunately, there is a gimmick employed here so that, thanks to Johnny, she continues to live without having to create some whacked-out resurrection story (a la Jason Todd, no less). And, at the risk of patting myself on the back too much, it relies on an old FF time traveling truism that longer-time FF readers already know and one I expected they’d, and actually hoped they wouldn’t, use. In short, there’s not really much to read here. You might as well move along, especially at a cost of $3.99. This story isn’t worth your money.

This volume also reprints John Bryne’s FF # 245, a story in which Franklin Richards grows to manhood at an accelerated rate and his confused state, coupled with his extraordinary powers, present a tremendous danger to the FF, but one that only a mother’s love can combat. Then there’s also the Calvin & Hobbes-like “Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius” story where he tries to get over on his Mom that’s a humorous diversion, at best. I suppose these two are included because they focus on Sue, as does the first story even though it seems the real focus of that story is Johnny. Regardless, these additional tales don’t ease my pain at having bought this book. My time is too limited to spend on drivel like this.

Daredevil #85
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Michael Lark

“The Devil in Cell-Block D” continues with Part Four this issue. The quick recap is that, at the end of the Bendis/Maleev labor of love, Matt Murdock was captured by the FBI and arraigned on charges for being Daredevil. Currently, now that Brubaker and Lark have taken over, he’s spending time in Rykers much to the chagrin of the other cell mates, like The Owl, whom Murdock has been using for his private punching bags. And he’s in Rykers along with Wilson Fisk, The Kingpin. The story of Murdock in prison, and his personal deconstruction (similar to what Frank Miller did in “Born Again”) with the murder of his partner and best friend Foggy Nelson, has been wonderful thus far. I’ve gone so far as to say this is the best comic published by any comics company today. And with the voluntary addition last issue of The Punisher to Rykers…well, sparks have got to start flying soon. Unfortunately, they don’t start flying with this issue. In fact, this issue seems to be the calm before the storm as several mysteries continue to build.

Foggy’s killer is identified in whispers throughout Rykers: The Kingpin. But is he really the killer, as much as it seems so? Or are the inmates at Rykers looking to instigate their opportunity for a front row seat to the grudge match of the century: Murdock vs. Fisk? Turk, one of Frank Miller’s best character creations, delivers a message to Matt that Fisk wants a meeting and Matt, smiling, is only too happy to oblige. But this meeting yields no satisfaction for Murdock or the other inmates who want both dead. And a plan is hatching to ignite the prison in a war in which both Murdock and Fisk may be victims. But, in the mean time, we’re no closer to knowing who killed Foggy, who the new Daredevil is who’s now got Dakota in his sights as she’s being tailed by two mob boys, and what the Punisher’s final game is (though he says he wants in on Matt’s action and to see what it looks like for Matt to turn into a character like Castle).

While this issue feels like a pause in the action, Brubaker and Lark move the plot along at what feels like the perfect pace. There’s an eruption coming. I don’t know if it’s next issue or not but, damn, if this still isn’t the best series out there on the market!

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

This week is a great week for comics with The American Way (written by the cat who wrote the movie “Three Kings” John Ridley), Nextwave (definitely a runaway success), Squardron Supreme (featuring art by one of the most underrated artists in comics, Gary Frank) and X-Factor (Peter David is back) all coming on strong. The best thing about this week though? The chicas. Oh yeah, the chicas. Birds of Prey, Catwoman, Hawkgirl, She-Hulk and the Black Widow: The Things They Say About Her tpb collecting the recent Richard Morgan scripted limited series. In honor of all the comic book ladies coming out this week, I’m going to have all-girl reviews this week. Word. Well, my pick of the week is still going to be Black Panther though. Love Reggie Hudlin (word brah) and love the whole Storm, T’Challa wedding. Indeed. Anyway, that being said, on to the reviews…

Hawkgirl issue #52
DC Comics
Written by: Walter Simonson
Drawn by: Howard Chaykin

Yes, you read the title description correctly, two of the most legendary comic creators who are still living are writing Hawkgirl. Walter Simonson, whom you all know from his character defining work on Thor, and his other great works including X-factor, Batman, Manhunter, and even Orion. The man created Beta Ray Bill. Got a chance to meet him at NYC con as well, hell of a nice guy to boot. Then there is Howard Chaykin, who is best known for his independent work on the groundbreaking American Flagg series. He also updated the character The Shadow for the 20th century, and did the art for the 1977 “Star Wars” movie adaptation. Both of these creators have cut their teeth time and time again for major projects with major companies, and have met with great critical and fan success, and now they combine their talents for more of DC’s “One Year Later” Madness with Hawkgirl.

Umm, other than what I watch on the JLU animated series, there is not a heck of a whole lot I can tell you about Hawkgirl (hey, I’m a Chaykin and Simonson fan, that’s why I picked up this book, I never said I cared for the character). The Hawkgirl in this current series is Kendra Saunders, a young woman who committed suicide. When her soul left her body, that of her grandaunt, Shiera Hall , the Golden Age Hawkgirl, entered it. Umm, that’s about all I know. She has taken over Hawkman’s old comic starting with issue #50, and is still hanging out in St. Roch, Louisiana as a museum administrator. Hawkman has been missing for over a year (presumably after he events of the “Rann/Thangarian War”) and Kendra has been doing a bang up job reinvigorating the museum after the recent environmental catastrophes that have plagued the region. Anyway, weird things have been happening in St. Roch, homeless people have been found hacked up. An attempt is made on Kendra’s life (her car is tampered with and she almost dies in a wreck). All this, and old papers have been unearthed during the museum’s renovation, and a sealed vault in the basement is found to have old pictographs of what looks like hawk people. Then there is a cave in and the next issue opens with Kendra in her bed only having a dim memory of recent events. She knows she wrecked her car because it is not in her parking spot, but she doesn’t remember being in a cave in and she thinks it was a dream. She meets an associate for dinner and soon finds herself (as Hawkgirl) getting involved in a grisly murder-in-progress. Soon we come to the current issue (#53), gang violence in St. Roch is escalating and the museum appears to be in some deep financial trouble. Kendra is still having strange dreams and is waking up feeling unrested. The police are on the current gang problem (sort of) and Kendra racks her brain to figure out how to save the museum. All this plus cat people (!) and Bruce Wayne. Word. This book is awesome.

Some interesting story telling by Simonson, of course just more of what I would expect, and some dead-sexy art from Howard Chaykin. I know a lot of people are not a fan of his style, but I am, and he has truly outdone himself with Hawkgirl. This book is definitely at the top of my list, not necessarily for the character but the team behind her.

Catwoman #55
DC Comics
Written by: Will Pfeifer
Drawn by: David Lopez and Alvaro Lopez
Cover by: Adam Hughes

So the Bat-verse is a big freakin’ mess right now. After the events of the “Gang War” crossover, capes are no longer welcome in Gotham city, and the only two who have stuck around are Batman and Catwoman (aka Selina Kyle). Well, Selina isn’t exactly a cape, she of course got her start out as a villain, a cat burglar if you will, and has crossed swords with Batman many times. Lately though she has become the self-declared “protector of the East End” of Gotham, the rough area where she came up in and roamed the streets as a prostitute before she became the highflying Ninja-trained thief Catwoman. She even became briefly involved with Batman, and he revealed to her that he was Bruce Wayne, but alas it was never meant to be and the relationship ended.

Recently in Catwoman the East End has become one big clusterfu$#. Since the Black Mask is now running the City’s underworld, the East End has kind of become a free-for-all zone. With no real criminal claiming stake there, everyone is duking it out to claim the territory for their own, making Selina’s job as it’s protector all the more difficult. Add to the mix Slam Brady’s son Sam, a Gotham detective sent undercover to try and infiltrate the super powered gangs that are vying for control of Gotham’s East End. Yeah, things are probably going to get much worse before they get better (and have been), but Selina has a plan. Eventually that plan whittles everyone away except for herself and Black Mask. While there is that going on, we can’t forget about “Infinite Crisis”, the latest craze that has taken over the DC Universe. Remember in last year’s Identity Crisis when the Justice League admitted to tampering with Dr. Light’s and Batman’s memories? Well, they weren’t the only ones. Apparently the Justice League also tampered with Catwoman’s brain, and according to Zatanna (this happened in issue #50) that tampering is the reason why Catwoman has given up her cat-burglering ways and become a “good-guy” over the last few years. Selina isn’t two happy with this, and in issue #51 she does some soul searching to figure out exactly who she is. At the same time Black Mask decides he is going to strike out at Selina where it hurts her most, her friends, specifically Slam Brady. Where is this leading? To a final showdown in issue #52 between the Black Mask and Catwoman, which brings us to “One Year Later”, which opens with Selina given birth and Black Mask dead (as for how, well read issue #52). Selina has moved way uptown and changed her name, and there is a new Catwoman running around protecting the east end (Catwoman’s young pal Holly whom was introduced to us waaaay back in Batman: Year One). Yeah, we’ve seen Holly receive some training from Wildcat, and we also get a glimpse of her training with Selina herself, and Selina alludes Holly has had other teachers as well.

Issue 55 opens with Holly training with Wildcat, Selina hiring a nanny (?) and some more investigating into the murder of Black Mask, whom Catwoman is wanted for. There is a surprise guest star, and Selina dons the uniform for the first time in a year or so. Yeah, I thought that was kind of weird after all the big “to do” about Holly being the new Catwoman, but it makes sense given the direction of the story. I guess. Anyway, a new Catwoman and a couple of loose ends left over from “one year ago” makes the “One Year Later” Catwoman storyline pretty cool. If you’ve been keeping up with Catwoman thus far, don’t stop now, if you are a new reader, now would be a great time to jump on board.

She Hulk issue #8
Marvel Comics
Written by: Dan Slott
Drawn by: Paul Smith
Cover by: Greg Horn

For an excellent review, and a glimpse of what was going on in “She-Hulk” before the “Civil War” crossover, please check out wktf’s review of “She Hulk” #7 from a few weeks ago here: http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...e-hulk+reviews. As far as this review, like I do with most books I’ve never reviewed before (deep breath), lets have a quick recap on the ins and outs of the She-Hulk for those who have been living in a hole for the last 25 years or so…

The She-Hulk is really Jennifer Walter, the lawyer cousin of Bruce Banner, who most people know as the Incredible Hulk (duh). A long time ago she got hurt and to save her life Bruce gave her a transfusion of his gamma-irradiated blood which saved her life, but turned her into a green Amazon; more or less a smaller, more feminine version of the hulk. As “a” Hulk, She-Hulk has everything the regular Hulk doesn’t. She retains all of her intellect (she is the same person in either form, no split personalities) she can change at will (but for a time she could only be She-Hulk, and in her current series it seems she is having an easier time being Jennifer Walters and a harder time changing into She-Hulk), and she has more or less had a much easier and fulfilling life than her cousin. At one point in her career she was asked by Ben Grimm to be his replacement on the Fantastic Four, and she also has, and still does, serve with the Mighty Avengers. She’s had relationships (or torrid affairs, whatever) with Wyatt Wingfoot, Luke Cage (when she was doing work for “Heroes For Hire”, the short lived 2nd series of that book) the Juggernaught, Starfox (the jerk) and currently John Jameson. Currently She-Hulk is employed as Jennifer Walters at the law firm Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg and Holliway (they also sometimes utilize her as the She-Hulk) and has been undergoing an identity crisis of late…

Issue #7 opens up with the Marvel’s “Civil War” event in full swing (for more on “Civil War, check out wktf’s review here: http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...=civil+reviews). Heroes are choosing sides, and the fallout from the New Warriors incident is pretty nasty. Some of the remaining members of the team look to She-Hulks law firm for help. I gotta say, a lot happens in this issue. She-Hulk takes a big step forward in her recent gamma related problems, the John Jameson relationship heats up, and there is even a surprise guest star or two. Yeah, this book is definitely heart and soul a “Civil War” tie in book, but at the same time She-Hulk moves quite a bit forward herself in her own ongoing storylines. Either way, this book is worth checking out.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Reviews!

Wktf’s Review

Not to share too much, and that’s not why you read these reviews anyway, lately my life’s hit a couple of snags. Certainly things could be significantly worse, which is why I say “snags.” A couple of years ago, after two decades of an outstanding career trajectory, I was forced out of my dream job and have been bouncing around a little bit since then. Also, my teen age son is causing serious fits for me and my wife well beyond the typical brooding, disrespectful teenage nonsense. When people get down, some eat comfort food or spend some money to try to feel better. Me? I read comics. So, last week, as I was packing for a business trip that would take me half the country away from my family for a job I don’t like all that much, I wondered what I could bring to read that would temporarily best transport me away from the real world. I glanced at the last two volumes of Dark Horse’s The Chronicles of Conan, the only ones in the series I hadn’t yet read, and new I’d found what the doctor had ordered. I mean, how much farther away from reality can you get than the Hybornian Age adventures of Conan the Barbarian? Just get a gander at this quote from The Nemedian Chronicles that graces the splash page of each story and you’ll know what I mean:

Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars. Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet.

The Chronicles of Conan Volume 9
Dark Horse Books
Written by: Roy Thomas
Drawn by: John Buscema, Val Mayerik, and others

This fine trade continues to collect the Marvel Comics Conan the Barbarian series from the 1970s and gives us issues #60-63, 65, and 69-71 (it skips over the reprint story from #64 and, sadly, cannot print issues #66-68 which feature Red Sonja as the rights to her character current are owned by another comic book company).

This volume differs from the others that preceded it in two important ways. One is that there is little here in the way of magic, all-powerful sorcerers or enormous demons that’ve appeared in many of the other collections. Second, Conan no longer is traveling alone but is with his newly found mate, Belit, the she-pirate who is treated as a goddess by the Corsairs who are her crew. Yes, with the last volume, Conan chose to take to the seas with Belit and the passions of both characters had been lit by each other as never before. But, does having a mate mean that Conan is settling down or going soft in any way? Be serious. This is Conan, as savage, brutal and deadly as he ever has been. In fact, his love for Belit seems only to fire his rages and drive his savagery, especially when she is captured to be another’s mate and in danger of her life.

Our trade begins with “The Riders of the River-Dragons.” These riders are warriors who ride atop enormous alligators and plundered the ivory offerings of a village normally reserved as tribute for Belit. Belit’s troubles don’t end there, however, as the Dragon-Riders later return to kidnap her and offer her as a mate to their savage master, Amra the Lord of the Lions. But, in kidnapping Belit to be the mate of a jungle savage, the Riders ignite the fury of Conan who will stop at nothing to secure Belit’s return to him, including bringing all his savagery, strength and fighting knowledge to bear to snap the very neck of an attacking giant alligator. With the Amra character, Thomas states in his Afterword that he is paying tribute to that other great fantasy character of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzan. Take Tarzan and his history, substitute apes for lions, and you’ve pretty much got the powerful and brutal Amra. Of course, Conan gathers a section of Belit’s crew to track Belit down and, dispite a natural kinship that develops between Conan and Amra as they fight back-to-back against an invading undead horde, they must set their blades against each other in a battle to the death for Belit. Following this multi-part story, Conan and Belit find themselves with time on her ship in which he tells her a tale from his youth of when he was captured by a Nordic tribe on the Western Sea, only later to discover members of this tribe mysteriously murdered by a creature Conan must then confront. Finally, in the last arc, Conan, Belit and her crew find themselves duped into becoming the prisoners in a “great towering city” island and sacrificial victims for the island’s great goddess, Ashtoreth. You don’t need me to tell you, though, that Conan in particular doesn’t take lightly being held prisoner and offered up as a sacrifice for anyone!

It’s always a pleasure to read Roy Thomas’ and John Buscema’s Conan. The amount of research Roy put into every story he scripted (just read the Afterword) is incredible. Frankly, outside of Robert E. Howard and Frank Frazetta, I can’t think of two creators who have a better feel for the character and pour so much creative love into their stories. And these stories, that take our Barbarian to the high seas and deep in to the forest jungles, seem to hold a special place for these creators if the work, itself, is any indication. The ever-awesome Ernie Chan beautifully inks most of Buscema’s pencils in this volume and the remastered colors really make each page pop. Finally, while letterers rarely get any credit, John Costanza, who lettered most of that other 1970s Marvel cult title, Tomb of Dracula, does phenomenal work in this title, too. Conan lovers, pick up this volume and be transported, as I was, to the era of ancient Hybornian adventure. Still in print and for $16.95 you simply cannot go wrong with this trade!

Mrs. Wilson’s Review

Since I am sticking with an “all girl” theme for my reviews, I’ve asked my wife, Mrs. Wilson, to review the latest “Birds of Prey” tpb “ Between Dark and Dawn”. Yes, I married a woman who reads comics. Well, mainly just “Tank Girl” before she met me, but I introduced her to “Preacher”, and well, it snowballed from there. Word, so we have “Conan” from wktf, and “Birds of Prey” from Mrs. Wilson. Anyway, on to the reviews…

Birds of Prey: Between Dark and Dawn
DC Comics
Written by: Gail Simone
Drawn by: Ed Benes, Ron Adrian, Jim Fern, Eduardo Barreto, and Eric Battle
Original series covers by: Mark Texeira, Greg Land, and Jason Pearson

The Birds of Prey currently consist of three formidable women. Oracle, the alter-ego taken on by former Batgirl Barbara Gordon, is a computer/espionage expert who runs the group from her hide-out in the Clock Tower, sending the other women out on missions against evil, corruption and injustice, and occasionally calling in back-up from other superheroes. Since being shot by the Joker in the spine, she is confined to a wheelchair, but her intellect and training make her probably the most powerful of the three. Dinah Lance, aka Black Canary, inherited this title and the sonic cry from her mother. She is a martial arts expert and former member of the JLA who has found a new start working for Oracle. The Huntress, or Helena Bertinelli, is the only survivor of a massacred mob family who, after years of training, is on a path of vengeance against organized crime. Her methods and temperament are too dark even for Batman, and because of this and a shared former lover, Barbara is only slowly beginning to trust her.

This book begins with Huntress on a mission to infiltrate a religious cult that is somehow linked to a series of teen suicides. Meanwhile, Oracle, ever the optimist, is attempting to rehabilitate Savant, a powerful former enemy who attempted to hack into Oracle’s database and lured Canary into a trap, breaking both her legs and tying her to a bed (see “Birds of Prey: Of Like Minds” TPB). Savant’s task is to clean up a poor neighborhood overridden with crime without seriously hurting anyone. This book is action-packed with appearances by Vixen and Superman, a run-in with Brainiac, and a chance for Dinah to even the score with Savant. At the end of the book Barbara makes an enormous personal sacrifice and is forced to start over with the help of Canary, Huntress, and a new member of the team.

I read this book mainly for the writing. Gail Simone can write a great action scene and a plot with depth and complexity, which still moves quickly enough to entertain and doesn’t collapse under its own weight. She has a dark, sarcastic sense of humor and accurately captures all the aspects of close female friendships from the jokes about food, men and hair to the unconditional support a great woman friend can offer. Her occasional catty remarks are dead-on as well. Ed Benes’ art is beautifully detailed, and his backgrounds and use of light and dark suit the mood and action of each scene perfectly. The only criticism I will offer is that the characters, particularly the women, are so stylized that, aside from hair and clothes, they look essentially the same. They’re drop-dead gorgeous, but their faces and bodies are identical. However, his action sequences are impeccably drawn and his use of different angles to accentuate the movement is brilliant.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good read with beautiful art, and especially to readers who want a refreshingly female point of view.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Great reviews guys!! Dammit, I know want to go back and pick up Daredevil!!!! I gotta stop reading these things!!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Beautiful reviews as always brothers...

Man Joe I love that darevil always makes the list in your reviews...
Old 05-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59
Beautiful reviews as always brothers...

Man Joe I love that darevil always makes the list in your reviews...
Thanks, Keith. And, regarding DD, man, how could it not make my reviews, right? Damn, that book is sooooooooooooooooooo good!

I suprised myself, though, picking Batman over Dardevil as my pick of the week but this month's Batman issue is just killer.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #6
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
I suprised myself, though, picking Batman over Dardevil as my pick of the week but this month's Batman issue is just killer.
I am excited to read it myself now also... escpecially becaus eyou DID pick it over DD... I have similar tastes in stories to you so I know I will love it!
Old 05-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

As much as I like Lee Weeks I couldn't pick up the Death in the Family book, I knew it wouldn't mean anything and when I flipped through and saw the reprint I tossed it back on the rack. I read Green Lantern, I'm liking this arc and the new art by Reis is very nice and S. Supreme, which is a great read. Love BoP glad it's getting reviewed, and hope they continue the F4 Omnibus till the end of the Kirby run.
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
Jesse321
Galactus

Great reviews guys, but I'm purposely staying away from reading too much, since I'm heading to NY this weekend I wanna have some surprises on the plane.

Joe, since I didn't pick up the book, could I trouble you to give me a pvt TV guide synopsis of the "Death in the Family" storyline?
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321
Great reviews guys, but I'm purposely staying away from reading too much, since I'm heading to NY this weekend I wanna have some surprises on the plane.

Joe, since I didn't pick up the book, could I trouble you to give me a pvt TV guide synopsis of the "Death in the Family" storyline?
Done! Check your PMs.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

Everyone involved in Death in the Family should be shot, or at least fired, starting with the stupid hype JOe Q brought on.

I flipped through this, laughed, and put it back on the rack.

Batman and DD rocked though!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote