Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 08-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wktf's and Sam Wilson's Reviews 8/24/06

Wktf’s Reviews

After two very lackluster comic book weeks, this week just exploded with outstanding product that I ended up buying (even with Civil War’s delay), far too much to list here. So much so I actually had to forego some trade purchases just to ease the pain on my wallet, and so I could pick up the Marvel Masterworks Iron Man 3. As a result I’m also not going to be able to review all the comics I’d like, such as the much anticipated (well, by me anyway) battle between Wolverine and Namor in Wolverine #45. I’m also grateful that my writing partner is picking up the reigns where I left off on Wonder Woman now that issue #2 is finally out. And a special guest reviewer has jumped in for his take on Gaiman/Romita Jr’s Eternals. My pick of the week? All of you know how much I love Brubaker’s Daredevil, which I routinely make my pick when it comes out, and this month it’s spectacular as well. But my pick this week goes both to Justice League of America #1 and Dracula vs. King Arthur #4. So here we go.

Dracula vs. King Arthur #4 of 4
Silent Devil Productions
Written by: Adam & Christian Beranek
Drawn by: Chris Moreno

People complaining about the publishing delays on Civil War, Wonder Woman or even JLA (which is only a week late) take note. The third of this four issue series came out in December, 2005 and was, itself, severely delayed. This fourth issue was promised for March, 2006 but didn’t hit the shelves until just now in August, five months late. Now, keep in mind that Silent Devil is a small, independent publisher so the delays in publishing these massive (the first 3 issues were 32+ pages each) full color issues should be forgiven, especially when the product is as stellar as this comic has been. If you haven’t been following, and I’m guessing that most of you haven’t been, here’s the summary up to the point of this final 64 page concluding story.

After being introduced to King Arthur and Vlad Dracul III, and taken down a strikingly parallel tale of their respective lives and rises to power, we find the mortal Dracula in 1473 broken from his wife’s suicide, betrayed to his Turkish enemies by his brother and at death’s door. Lucifer, dramatically and horribly portrayed by Moreno, intervenes and offers Dracula the ability to create a new kingdom, made in his image, if he will only slay God’s chosen champion, the legendary King Arthur of Camelot. Having been seduced by Lucifer’s powers of persuasion, Dracula agrees and, so, is brutally and painfully transformed into the world’s first vampire and sent back in time to the Camelot of yore. Combining his new supernatural powers with his own warlike cunning Dracula gradually turns Camelot, including Arthur’s wife Guinevere and many of Arthur’s Round Table Knights, into a land of the undead. Arthur, in the mean time, is off on a quest for the Holy Grail, a quest on which he dreamed God sent him but which, in reality, was planted in his dreams by Lucifer to remove him from Camelot while Dracula worked his evil ways. By the end of last issue Merlin was studying one of the vampires’ victims (Amide, the poor sister of Arthur’s knight Percival), Sir Lemorak nearly singularly was keeping the vampires at bay with his mace and sword, and Arthur had both lost his sword Excalibur and fallen to Dracula in battle only to discover Guinevere, Lancelot (Guinevere’s lover, as well as Arthur’s first knight), Galahad and others of his royal circle converted over to Dracula’s vampire curse. These three issues have been absolutely riveting both in plotting, scripting and art, and now, as we come to the final chapter of this tale, Arthur’s ability to right this horrible situation seems completely hopeless.

And for many of the reasons previously mentioned, Arthur’s cause truly is hopeless. This issue opens with Arthur pinned against the wall of Dracula’s keep, high above the floor, with Dracula and Arthur’s family skittering on wall and feasting on him like spiders. Though he is captured, tortured and drained he is saved by the divine providence that is part of his legend to then marshals his forces and fight again. Even as Merlin tortures poor Amide into revealing her ilk’s weaknesses, Lucifer confronts Dracula to remind him of his mission and Arthur overcomes his pain and grief over his personal losses (for those he loves are now undead) to strike out against Dracula’s vampire legion, a growing sense of doom surrounds Arthur and his band. The final battle is as savage as anything Barry Smith or John Buscema gave us in the pages of Marvel’s Conan stories and, even in victory, some tremendous wrongs can not be righted and humans, even formerly good ones like Lancelot and Guinevere, once turned cannot be turned back. This book’s ending is shocking, daring, takes no shortcuts and pulls no punches. Whoa! What a helluva story! For those of you who missed it and the whole series missed one of the best indie publishing events in a very long time. But don’t worry if you can’t find these back issues, this series soon will be packaged as a trade or, for those interested in seeing the Dracula vs. King Arthur webisodes, check out this recent announcement here:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthrea...t=silent+devil

Batman #656
DC Comics
Written by: Grant Morrison
Drawn by: Andy Kubert

This new creative team came on in a big way last issue, giving us a brain twisting confrontation between Batman, The Joker and Commissioner Gordon while also taking Bruce Wayne and Alfred to London for a little R&R, much to Alfred’s and Tim’s suggesting. Batman’s been on a tear since his return to Gotham and, with the exception of Two-Face, has cleaned Gotham of nearly all its super villain problems. That said, while at a ****tail party, whose path should Bruce and Alfred cross but a clearly distressed Kirk Langstrom, also known as the Man-Bat, who is frantically racing to save his wife’s life from none other than Talia Head. As Bruce grumbles about his vacation ending abruptly we are introduced to a new member of the Batman family that, thus far, has remained a secret to Bruce but, of course, not to Talia (see our trade reviews, below!). And this new character’s the reason this story arc is called “Batman & Son.”

This issue pretty much is all out action from cover to cover. Sure, there’s some plot movement as we are introduced to the exotic runway model turned small African nation ruler Jezebel Jet. She seems to have eyes for Bruce and he for her. But all too soon Alfred discovers Dr. and Mrs. Langstrom’s being thrown from a speeding van and no sooner can Langstrom offer a panicked warning than is Batman facing an army of sword wielding ninja Man-Bats. Morrison’s having a lot of fun with this series so far but if last issue went to the writer, this issue goes to artist Andy Kubert (who’s art reminds me of his father, Joe, the more I see it…and that’s a compliment). Batman is leaping, roping, kicking and punching Man-Bat after Man-Bat in as frenetic and desperate a battle as Batman’s ever encountered. And, as Talia confronts him and then departs with the Prime Minister’s wife, Batman is forced to confront possibly the biggest change of his life, and one that follows on the heels of the OGN “Son of the Demon” (yes, again, see our trade reviews, below) from 20 years ago!

I’m loving this version of Batman. I feel like I’m back in the 1970s. Batman’s human. He smiles. He’s as much Bruce Wayne as he is Batman. I love what Dini’s doing in Detective Comics as well, in showing us the more analytical side of the world’s greatest detective. But Morrison’s Batman seems even more human still. And Kubert’s pulling out the stops on art. I’d love to see him take over Hawkman, actually, as much as I like Chaykin’s work, to see Joe Kubert represented on Hawkman again.

Daredevil #87
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Guest drawn by: David Aja

First, let’s all pause just a moment to thank Ed Brubaker for taking over this book. Last issue his explosive premier arc, The Devil in Cell Block D, concluded and with it the Mighty Bru firmly established himself as THE post-Frank Miller Daredevil scribe of our time. There’s no question that he is building off the foundation laid down by Brian Bendis. Yes, I know the world is full of Bendis-haters but give the man his props on this title, at least. His DD work was terrific, if not occasionally spotty. But Bru has taken Bendis’ work and raised his game to a new level. In this past single story arc, partnering with the immensely talented Michael Lark, he’s made Matt Murdock and the Kingpin the center of a Rykers Island pressure cooker, brought Bullseye, The Punisher and Iron Fist into the fray, and shocked the fan world by killing off Matt’s long-time partner and best friend since DD #1 in 1964, Foggy Nelson, which only served to fuel Matt’s rage and near madness. Despite all these elements and the marquee value of each of the guest stars and villains, the story remained clean, coherent, and made Dardevil one of the singularly most exciting books Marvel is publishing today.

Now Matt has escaped Rykers, with help from The Punisher, following an explosive riot, and is off to Europe and hell-bent in search of Foggy’s killer. Except, the big reveal last issue (amazing in this internet age that this wasn’t spoiled) was that Foggy’s alive, unbeknownst to Matt, and in the witness protection program in some undisclosed location. And, so, here we have the story of what happened with Foggy after every one else thought he’d died, and what a story it is! We see his past reliance on his guardian devil amidst threats like Stilt Man, Bullseye, and armies of ninjas. But these ninjas, though dangers from his past, play a very different role in his present with a nice twist from a major player who nearly killed him back in Frank Miller’s run. Once again, Brubaker gives us a page turning story filled with drama, intense street level believability, and pathos where poor Foggy’s concerned. And David Aja, who will partner with Bru on the upcoming Iron Fist book, supplies some emotionally powerful, action packed guest art that really moves this issue forward and seems perfectly suited to Bru’s script. For an interlude story, this was one hell of an issue and still relevant to the continuing Daredevil plot line. Finally, I just loved the tribute to Daredevil’s very first artist, Sub-Mariner creator Bill Everett, in the false name the FBI assigns Foggy. What a great, subtle detail to add to an already terrific comic book story!

Justice League of America #1
DC Comics
Written by: Brad Meltzer
Drawn by: Ed Benes

Well, we’ve been here before, haven’t we? Following Crisis on Infinite Earths and the Legends mini-series, Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis and Kevin Maguire gave us the semi-comedic revamped Justice League. Then, in 1997, Grant Morrison and Howard Porter brought us the newly ultra heavy duty JLA powered by the biggest guns in the DCU, the magnificent seven as it were. Now, following the JLA breakup that preceded Infinite Crisis, we were treated last month to Justice League of America #0, a past, present and future view of DC’s mighty Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman trinity, a view into their partnership and relationship over the many years since the Justice League of America first formed. As that issue left no doubt, it is these three heroes who form the leadership bedrock of the JLA and, as that issue drew to a close, we knew they had some tough choices ahead of them as they began the process of forming the new team. But we also know they’ll make these decisions together in this interesting new state these three’ve found themselves in since the Infinite Crisis ended: friendship.

And, as this issue unfolds, two separate plot lines emerge. One is the continuing discussion between Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman as they review photos of past members, debate each candidate’s worth, tease and smile at each other, and decide who should be in the new League and for what reasons. There are separate story trails that unfold involving Green Lantern, Arsenal (with some comic relief from Green Arrow), Black Lightning, and Vixen that seem to tie into the Big Three’s conversation. But the second important plot line involves a character who’s been a long standing JLA member that I never really considered one of their primary members, Red Tornado, brutally struck down during the JLA: Crisis of Conscience story arc. I had no idea the android Red Tornado had a human wife, Kathy Sutton, and small step daughter, Traya. We see Kathy at the laboratory of Dr. Will Magnus, creator of the Metal Men sitting with Platinum while Red Tornado’s soul floats in limbo discussing new possibilities for life with Boston Brand, Deadman. Really, this story of Red Tornado, a character I’ve known since the 1960s but never really thought much about, is extremely touching and powerful, even gratifying, but still laced with mystery and danger that may lead to a new JLA adversary in the next few issues.

With this issue Meltzer proves, as he did with Identity Crisis, why he’s one of the best writers in comics today, a distinction shared with the likes of Geoff Johns and Ed Brubaker in my humble opinion. This is a great story with outstanding multiple characterizations and competing plotlines, all woven together into one cohesive unit and wonderfully scripted to move the reader right through it. In fact, it ends before the reader is ready for it to end, a sure sign Meltzer will bring us all back next issue. Benes’ art is as good as always. He never really disappoints. But this issue is Meltzer’s issue and it’s a home run. I expect the JLA will be back in force in the next issue or two!

Guest Review! StatueForum’s own Kdawg59!

Eternals #3 of 6
Marvel Comics
Written by: Neil Gaiman
Illustrated by: John Romita Jr.

I've been waiting for this book anxiously. When Joe asked me if I would review this book for him and Sam this week, I answered in the only way possble...

HELL YEAH BRO!!!!

I think this mini series is much deserving of love and it has me eagerly anticipating the outcome. As well as another read of numbers 1-6 just for good measure.

To briefly sum up where we began at the onset of the series, the Eternals are walking amongst us. Living beings with god-like powers from a different day. They are not only walking amongst us, they are unaware of their former "glory" as super powered Eternals. Clearly at this point some one or thing has messed with any memories of who they are, or where they came from, or why they cannot remember their pasts. Why has this come to pass is the biggest mystery of this great series so far...

We began with Doctor Mark Curry being approached by seemingly the only Eternal to know what is going on, Ike Harris (the rather sturdy Ikarus)... He tries both to warn Mark of the coming danger as well as fill him in on his past as an Eternal. He follows Mark around hoping to convince him of the unbelievable truth that is being presented, but instead only convinces Mark that Ike is half in the wrapper.

Cut to a party that another Eternal, Druig: The Deputy Prime Minister of Vorozheika, has hired Sersi (yep you guessed it... another Eternal and former foxy Avenger) to plan a giant bash... Sersi's first event as an official party planner goes terribly wrong as terrorists bust in, take the place by storm and smoking gun barrels.

Thena Elliot and Husband are also guests at this party. Thena is another Eternal and more importantly a scientist working for Mr. Tony Stark/Iron Man, which is bound to create fireworks with the Civil War backdrop currently in the Marvel Universe...

At the end of issue #2 things start to turn red for Mark Curry... He starts to suspect that Ike Harris was telling him the truth about himself as he flies into action, while time stands still around him.

Ike is strangely absent as he has way more trouble than he can handle on his own elsewhere...

Which now brings us to the issue at hand... I was thinking that there would be a lull here in the action, as sometimes mini series can do that in the middle. But Holy Hell... I was proven wrong as we are driven even deeper into the mystery of the Eternals and a bit more of the plot against them...

Mark Curry is becoming more and more aware that he is different as time again stands still for him while he tears through the terrorists at super speed and in doing so creates this "mental link’ between the other Eternals.

Thena formulates battle plans and best case scenarios faster than she can act...

Sersi turns Knives into roses...

Instinct is taking over even as the mystery of this series builds. There is even a moment in there for those of you wondering... "Wasn't Sersi an Avenger?...why doesn't Iron Man say something?"...

This issue has a ton of layers evolving inside its pages. Gaiman and JR JR are weaving deftly through both a tangled and yet very intriguing web that is this plot against the Eternals. They are being taken out because they have no clue that they are "Gods" and in fact able to open up a can or two of Mama WKTF's whup ass...... they need only remember.

If all of you aren't following this mini... you should be. The story is top notch and JR JR is right at home with these characters and the epic mystery currently surrounding them. Not to mention his ultra, dead sexy, Sersi variant cover.... This is a great book and will be one you'll miss if you don't read it.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Sam Wilson's Reviews

It’s a great week for long awaited books, with JLA, Wonder Woman and Astonishing X-men all hitting on the same week. That’s fine and dandy, but I’m also totally down with Heroes For Hire, yes, it’s not Danny and Luke, but Coleen and Misty are heading up the charge with Shang Chi and the Black Cat, so dopeness is implied anyway. My pick of the week is Ultimates Annual 2. If you’ve seen the cover, then you know why. ULTIMATE SAM WILSON YO. Word. Nuff said, on to the reviews…

Wonder Woman issue #2
DC Comics
Written by: Alan Heinberg
Drawn by: Terry Dodson

For those of you who haven’t been paying attention Wonder Woman is back in a big way as one of the “big three” in the DC Universe (the other two being Superman and Batman of course). She was front and center last year with “Infinite Crisis,” it was her killing of Max Lord on national TV that started the whole OMAC thing. Subsequently, Diana has become wanted for murder. Thymesceria is not around anymore, the island went back into hiding during “Infinite Crisis” so Diana is without their support. Her closest friends seem to be at odds with her actions, so what is a Goddess/Superhero to do? It’s been a couple of months since the first issue of Wonder Woman, and the big shocker is Dianna isn’t WW anymore, she is some kind of secret agent and Donna Troy is Wonder Woman now.

Last issue left us with Donna Troy (as Wonder Woman) captured by Dr. Psycho, the Cheetah and Giganta, all whom have been upped on the power scale. Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark) was in the brawl as well, and early in issue two is reunited with Dianna, and kind of irritated that she wasn’t trusted enough to know Dianna never really went anywhere. Anyway, WW’s old villains are holding Donna Troy captive until the “real” Wonder Woman shows up, and Dianna is trying desperately to hold onto her new “federal agent” secret identity Superman and Batman set up for her. Yeah, things are a mess and by the end of issue two they just get messier…

I will be honesty, Greg Rucka on Wonder Woman was the best WW since the Perez days, but Heinberg is doing a fine job. Nothing earth shattering out of the gates, but he’s doing fine. Dodson is Dodson, fans of his work will be happy, critics will have plenty more to complain about (I fall somewhere in between fan and critic I guess). Even though the new series is off to a slow start, is is definitely picking up steam, even though it’s pretty easy to figure out where it’s headed (even with the weird ending of this issue). Fans should definitely pick this book up though, it’s nice to have Dianna and her family (Donna and Cassie) back in the DCU and in their own book.

Heroes for Hire issue #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jimmi Palmiotti and Justin Grey
Drawn by: Bill Tucci (who is a total a-clown by the way)

First, I want to start this review by saying this is not the “Heroes for Hire” that we grew up with. There is no Luke Cage or Daniel Rand (Iron Fist), Danny won’t be getting in trouble for not picking up Luke’s ding dongs, there will be no trademark Jim Owsley snappy dialogue (aka Christopher Priest), quite possible “Heroes For Hire” may not even have as big of a heart as the series did back in the ‘80’s, but I’m gonna give it a chance. It still has Misty Knight and Colleen wing, the “Daughters of the Dragon”, who in their recent mini series “Daughters of the Dragon” showed us they are still a couple of bad ass foxy chicas who will put a mutherfu$#er down to pay the bills; and having Shang Chi, aka the Master of Kung Fu around doesn’t hurt either. Black Cat I could give a crap about, but whatever. What does bug me though is how this series is starting out smack in the middle of the civil war, with the girls (and Shang Chi) being on the side of the “man”…

For those of you who read the “Daughter’s of the Dragon” limited series (now available in tpb form) Misty and Colleen own and operate a successful bail bonds office. With this new series they are being dragged into the Civil War by Iron Man, who wants to put a human face to his new Gov’t superhero squad. Misty and Colleen agree, but only if they hunt rogue super criminals, not heroes. Colleen wants no part of hunting heroes, or more importantly she does not want to get in the middle of a war she see’s brewing. The new team is interesting; in addition to Shang Chi we have Humbug (a reformed villain with control over bugs, no really, he’s usefull), a new female Tarantula who is somewhat of a mystery and a superbad backup squad featuring Paladin (remember him?) and Orca. The heroes are back and have a new mission, but it will be interesting to see which side of the war they stay on.

I like this book, but I don’t like Tucci’s art, he draws all the women like playboy models, they all have the same body and stand the same way to the point where it is comical. The story itself is cool, at first I wasn’t down with Misty and Co. being with “the man”, but the way Palmiotti and Grey handled it was pretty good. This book is definitely the sleeper “cool” book of the Civil War crossover, and is definitely worth checking out (regardless of Tucci’s art).

Ultimates Annual issue #2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Charley Huston
Drawn by: Mike Deadato

For those of you who have missed out, Ultimate Sam Wilson is the MAN. For real. First introduced in “Ultimate Nightmare” (now available in tpb form) Sam Wilson is an agent of SHIELD, a former special-forces soldier and a scientist. He is pretty handy with an assault rifle, has a cool “wing” harness that enables him to fly and he is one smart motherfu$#er to boot. Throughout the “Ultimate Trilogy” (“Nightmare”, “Secret”, and “Extinction”) Sam Wilson helped Earth’s heroes fend off Gha Lak Tus and kicked a lot of a$# while doing it, teaming up with Captain America at one point to go after the Silver Surfer (in “Ultimate Extinction”, now available in tpb form). In the “Ultimates Annual” #2 our boys are caught with their pants down, they are still cleaning up the wreckage form the recent attack on the US only to be hit by an old enemy from the past, a major di$#wad named Arim Zola. I guess he didn’t bank on Ultimate Captain America and Ultimate Sam Wilson being there to lay the smackdown though…

This issue had me confused. At times the story was brilliant and the dialogue unlike anything I had ever read in a comic, politically savvy, intelligent, but then at times I would get completely lost in the story and had no idea what was going on. Inconsistencies abound I was confused with the plot more often than not. Ultimately? I dunno, some great Cap and Falc moments, but the story itself, huh. Little bit confused. Maybe Joe made more sense of things. Joe?

Wish I could say differently, my man, but I had the same problems. I actually thought toward the end that the editor or someone must have dropped all the pages of this book and just picked them up, shuffled them together and just hoped he got them in the right order. But, of course, didn’t. The best part of this book was the dialogue and solidifying friendship between Cap and Falcon throughout this issue and by the end. I especially liked how Sam had some choice words for Cap on the battlefield. And the Cap’s flashback’s to the Nazi Holocaust were pretty powerful and certainly helped the reader understand the major hate Cap harbored toward Zola.

Charlie Huston is no Mark Millar and I find it a bit strange Millar didn’t write this annual. While a fan of Huston’s novels I’m not crazy about his comics work to date and this issue is no exception. So far, of the Ultimate Annuals out thus far, the only one I’d solidly endorse is the Ultimate Spider-Man Annual. This one has some very strong moments but the book just doesn’t hold together that well for me.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Reviews: Prelude to the Current "Batman & Son" Story Arc!

The new “Batman & Son” story arc in the current Batman comic (see this week’s reviews, above!) begs a look at the OGN that started this story nearly twenty years ago. In this day of reprints and tpb’s, one can easily forget that companies used to put out OGN’s with some regularity. There was the excellent JLA Earth 2 HC from a few years ago (reviewed recently, here), JLA/JSA Virtue and Vice (also reviewed here), Catwoman: Selina’s Big Score (also…well, you get the picture). From Marvel? Man, we haven’t seen an OGN from them in AGES man. Ages. So, as we said, let’s dial back almost twenty years to DC’s first OGN, the book that started it all, Batman: Son of the Demon and its sequel Batman: Bride of the Demon. Both books featured one of Batman’s greatest nemeses, Ra’s Al Ghoul (screw the joker yo). A quick fun fact, one of these books has a direct tie in to the epic Waid/Ross elseworlds tale Kingdom Come, but to find out which one you’re going to have to check them out on your own…

Wktf’s Review

Batman: Son of the Demon OGN (HC, SC and recent comic book format)
DC Comics
Written by: Michael W. Barr
Drawn by: Jerry Bingham

First printed in 1987, “Batman: Son of the Demon” was DC Comics’ very first original graphic novel. To add further perspective on this status, the only other DC books listed in this volume’s “Other Books From DC Comics” page are the collections of The Dark Knight Returns, Ronin, The Shadow: Blood & Judgment, Alan Moore’s Saga of the Swamp Thing, and Watchmen. So, for sure, this book is early in DC’s non-comic book publishing history. In addition, to seal this point, the introduction is by Mark Hamill and was written just a few years before his career as the Joker on BTAS. You might say, in fact, as DC’s debut HC OGN that “Son of the Demon” is something of a milestone. And the story doesn’t disappoint, given this status.

Coming after Dark Knight Returns, “Son of the Demon” continues the 1980s post O’Neil/Adams return of Batman to his “Dark Knight” status that Frank Miller restarted. The book opens with a terrifyingly realistic hostage situation in which the hostage takers and GCPD are in a stalemate, and Gordon lets the villains know a professional negotiator is on the way. When they refuse negotiations Gordon’s reaction, looking up at the Bat Signal, is “Have it your way, junior…but I guarantee, you won’t like the alternative…!” Truer words were never spoken. These villains, sporting “Q” shaped scars on their faces, treat their victims with both disdain and brutality. As a very pregnant woman, having already been cut and branded with a “Q” by one of them, is about to be raped The Batman strikes suddenly and with brutality to match the tactics of his victims. The result is ugly and shocking. However, Batman leaves the scene wounded, himself, and is rescued and then joined by Talia…his prior love interest and daughter of Ra’s al Ghul, one of his mortal enemies. But why are Talia and R’as involved?

The title of this book is terribly ambiguous. It is not until much later in the story that we realize the terrible truth behind it, an unlikely alliance between the Bat and the Demon in which their central tie is their mutual love for Talia. Yes, I was shocked to see that it was Batman who became the Son of the Demon. But, in addition to the link to Talia, both Batman and Ra’s have a vested interest in pursuing a dying man, Qayin (pronounced like the biblical Cain), who murdered Ra ’s’ wife and Talia’s mother, whose gang also caused the earlier hostage situation and seemingly also murdered a prominent scientist, and who is about to trigger global warfare in his quest for Ra’s’ Lazarus Pit. In yet another twist, Batman is relegated to second-in-command behind Ra’s but soon develops a very personal agenda of his own that drives an unusual hatred of Qayin on the part of the Dark Knight. To delve too far into Batman’s agenda is to give too much away but, suffice to say, the two most remarkable turns of events (both related to each other) are unlike any in Batman’s recent history. I can’t help but wonder why no sequel, playing off the ramifications of this story, has been written up until just this past month. In this fine book, the creators have given us a truly different and disturbing Batman story, written with more brutal street language than was the norm at that time and drawn, inked and colored in a gritty Neal Adams style that fits the tone of the story perfectly. I was left shaking my head and truly surprised throughout the story and especially at the end, something that rarely happens to me after nearly 40 years of comic book reading.

Sam Wilson’s Review

Batman: Bride of the Demon
DC Comics
Written by: Mike W. Barr
Drawn by: Tom Grindberg

A follow up to the spectacular and brutal “Son of the Demon”, “Bride of the Demon” is a sequel to “Son” in name only. Sure the players are all the same (Batman, Talia and Ra’s Al Ghul) but the story is completely different and the tone of the story is completely different. Instead of the “grim and gritty” post Dark Knight Batman, we get James Bond Batman, out to foil a scheme of the grandest of machinations set fourth by one of his greatest enemies, Ra’s Al Ghul. Yeah, he’s still bent on making the world a better place by whatever means necessary, and yeah, Talia and Bats still have love/loyalty issues, and there is this whole bride thing to address as well, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

“Bride” ties into the time period it was released (1990) by having the central issue being global warning. Yeah, a hole in the ozone layer has been discovered, global warming, rain forests and disappearing, and Ra’s is sick of it all and wants to patch things up, even if he has to bring about a global catastrophe to do it. This time though, Ra’s wants to be prepared, so in addition to setting upon a plan of global “cleansing” he decides it’s high time he got himself a heir, perhaps a more loyal heir than his current one Talia and her on again, off again relationship with the Dark Knight Detective. So Ra’s takes us from the Amazon rain forest to Gotham City to Antarctica, and in the mix add an aging film star, Tim Drake, some scientists, Talia in her underwear (more often than not might I add) and even some “League of Assassin’s” action. Oh yeah, James Bond wishes he could handle a plate that full.

This book covers a lot of ground, and the pace moves along very well. At no point do you feel Mr. Barr has lost his way or left any loose ends untied. Like I stated earlier, the major difference this book has with its predecessor, “Son of the Demon”, is tone. “Bride” is about adventure, larger than life villains, romance (yes, romance) and general themes of good vs. Evil. “Son of the Demon” is dark, brutal and morally grey in a lot of places; both books are excellent though, and you would do yourself a disservice not to check them both out. “Bride of the Demon” is long out of print, but has been available in both hardcover and softcover form, track it down if you have the time, it’s definitely a “must read” Batman story. Oh yeah, and the little surprise at the end of “bride” (similar to the ending of “Son of”)? To my knowledge, those events have never been brought to light in the DC Universe (well, at least the events in “Bride”), but who knows? Maybe someday…
Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

So many good books this week so little time... I am so excited to read Batman Joe... This is what the dark knight has been missing... Proves that he can be dark without being an a$$-hole 24/7...
Old 08-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
bat_collector
Galactus

Great review of son of the demon, which I just recently picked up. Definately one of my favorite bat stories, and the one that humanizes bruce the most.

Glad we can agree of JLA and Batman. The art really came forth last issue. Some of those pages were iconic! Love it. JLA seems to have the most going for it, love to see where this is gonna go.

Dang, I forgot you guys weren't donig New avengers, should have reviewed that one myself.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

I know Thymesceria disappeared but even if it hadn't there's nothing there for Diana I thought? The Omac's committed genocide on that island if I'm not mistaken?
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59
So many good books this week so little time... I am so excited to read Batman Joe... This is what the dark knight has been missing... Proves that he can be dark without being an a$$-hole 24/7...
Amen, Keith. After the past two weeks this week was a welcome change. You're so right about Batman, too. Both Batman and Detective Comics are giving us different sides of a much different Batman now. And I'm grateful for that. One of my favorite characters was turned into a two-dimensional prick over the last couple of decades and it's great to see him getting back on track.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Amen, Keith. After the past two weeks this week was a welcome change. You're so right about Batman, too. Both Batman and Detective Comics are giving us different sides of a much different Batman now. And I'm grateful for that. One of my favorite characters was turned into a two-dimensional prick over the last couple of decades and it's great to see him getting back on track.

yeah so many writers and artists have concentrated very hard it seems on who can write and draw him the darkest. Unfortunately that takes Bruce away from what made him Batman the most... Humanity and emotion... the very thing he's lost...
Old 08-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Quick question, I know that the Ultimates Annual is suppose to take place AFTER Ultimates VOL 2 ends. If I read the Annual is anything going to be spoiled?!!
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLoco
Quick question, I know that the Ultimates Annual is suppose to take place AFTER Ultimates VOL 2 ends. If I read the Annual is anything going to be spoiled?!!
Well...hmmm...if you're wondering whether or not the Ultimates will triumph by the end of vol 2 than I'd say, yeah, this big 30,000 foot take on the story will be spoiled. If your concern is over more of the details of how that ending turns out then, no, no spoilers in here.