Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 11-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

wktf, Sam Wilson and Kdawg's Reviews 11/16/06

Wktf’s Reviews

Alright! I’ve got to say that after a two week absence (business travel is a bear sometimes) it’s great to be back doing this. Slightly shallow week of comics for me with only 5 comics and one trade (Superman: Man of Steel vol. 5). This seems to be Iron Man’s week, what with Civil War (my pick of the week), his own book and an Iron Man solo story in New Avengers. With his behavior lately does he deserve all this exposure?

Civil War #5 of 7
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Millar
Drawn by: Steve McNiven

The cover image says it all. Spider-Man’s gonna have a really bad day. The kind of day Typhoid Mary once handed to Daredevil when John Romita, Jr. rendered DD’s getting pounded into red toothpaste. Before any of that, though, we see defections on both sides of the fence, The Human Torch and Invisible Woman evading SHIELD Team Four and Nighthawk and Stature (from the Young Avengers) chatting with Happy prior to meeting with Tony Stark. But, readers of Amazing Spider-Man know full well what’s got Tony preoccupied right now. The most important defection is happening with Marvel’s flagship character in Avengers mansion. And this face-off between Stark and his most loyal employee (well, aside from Happy), I believe, is supposed to represent a pivotal point in Civil War. You know, between Iron Man and the new Thunderbolts, Spidey’s in serious trouble. That makes the ass-kicking he hands Iron Man, albeit for one panel, all the more satisfying.

Last minute rescues are a cornerstone of superhero comics and, sadly for Spidey, between the attacking SHIELD forces and the combination of The Jester and Jack O’ Lantern (though I could swear this guy had become the second Hobgoblin years ago), he most definitely needs the help. And who better to step in than the man we’ve all been promised is finally going to take a side and join the fray and, no, I’m not talking about The Black Panther (though, if you’re reading his book, and you should be, you know which way T’Challa’s leaning). McNiven is absolutely doing the best work of his career on this title. Peter’s vision of his savior, with his mind clouded by Jack O’Lantern’s hallucinogenic gas, is just uncanny. And the full splash page of Spidey’s being delivered to Cap’s team (notice the Dale Keown tribute?) is as dramatic as they come.

Other notable events happen this issue as well. We see Reed and She-Hulk arguing point counterpoint as Reed expresses his regrets over his actions. Danny Rand, as the captured Daredevil, puts Stark squarely in his place. But this issue is about Spider-Man and (okay, spoiler) The Punisher and, while it’s not the big issue last issue was, it’s one more important segment of terrific storytelling. I’m getting ready for this Marvel Event to be done and to start moving forward, but I’m enjoying the hell out of it as it continues.

Iron Man #13
Marvel Comics
Written by: Daniel & Charles Knauf
Drawn by: Parick Zircher

To start, Iron Man’s always been one of my favorite Marvel characters. I read his stories religiously from the sixties straight through the seventies. My favorite Iron Man was written by Dave Michelinie and drawn by John Romita, Jr. and Bob Layton. Though I pretty much stopped reading his book after heading off to college I always loved seeing him in The Avengers. While I intellectually understand his position in the current Civil War conflict I just flat out don’t emotionally understand or agree with it, and it’s pretty clear that Marvel’s been playing him as the guy to loathe the most lately. With this issue we’re supposed to be given some insight into what’s driving Iron Man’s stance and, as it turns out, while in this book and in his Civil War conversation with Spider-Man, we get that he does believe he’s doing some good for his fellow superhero community, we also discover there may be more selfish, less altruistic reasons of self preservation behind his stance. Not having been following this book at all, I was grateful for the intro page explaining why US Secretary of Defense, Jack Kooning, was calling in his chips for having saved Tony from becoming Speedball, the poster boy for registration.

So, Tony’s got a dirty secret to cover and an image to protect. And he’s wrestling with his guilt both over this incident and whether he’s doing the right thing in the Civil War conflict. It appears he’s not as resolute in his stance in his own book as he seems to be in Civil War. And he has to ponder Kooning’s surprise offer to him, and offer replicated in his conversation with SHIELD Director Hill in the pages of New Avengers. Finally, there’s a subplot in here involving Spymaster as well as Happy and Pepper on the evening of their anniversary. The verdict? Did getting inside Tony’s head make me feel more sympathetic to his Civil War stance? No. I completely get where he’s coming from. But the degree to which he’s covering his own butt coupled with the pounding he gave Cap still makes him enemy number one in the Marvel Universe to me. Which bums me out to no end. Closing out, if events unfold next issue as they’re ending in this issue, it’s not just Spider-Man who’s having a really bad day. Tony Stark’s about to suffer an incredible loss.

I’m not completely sold on this book. I’ll pick up the next issue to finish this story out and get filled in on any extraneous Civil War plotlines. Zircher’s art seems to mimic McNiven’s but is pretty good, if not a little stiff, while doing it. The story and plot aren’t bad but not all that interesting, either. After next issue I may have to dig out my old Iron Man comics from thirty and forty years ago.

Blade #3
Marvel Comics
Written by: Marc Guggenheim
Drawn by: The Legendary Howard Chaykin

I’ve made no bones about the fact that I love this title. I’m a Blade fan going back the Marv Wolfman/Gene Colan days when the character first premiered. I absolutely never could get into the ultra tech, carved hair, sword wielding Wesley Snipes version of the character, and I’m just damn glad Guggenheim and Chaykin are keeping Blade current with the times and returning him to his roots at the same time. In the first issue Blade subdued a vampiric Spider-Man, took down Dracula (again, but a little too easily for my tastes) and faced off against a whole SHIELD hellicarrier of vampires. Last issue he went back in time, courtesy of Dr. Doom’s time machine, to save Doom’s mother in the past from a hoard of vampires. But while those issues seemed to have planted Blade firmly in the Marvel world of superheroes/villains, this issue presents Blade with some street level problems.

Blade out on a date. I kid you not. In his never ending quest to hunt down and kill vampies, Gugggenheim has Blade sorting through, yes, online dating services! Kind of a trip. Oh, and by the way, Chaykin draws some pretty steamy New York alleyway scenes and Edgar Delgado colors them perfectly, like he was in an ally off the Upper East Side as he picked his colors. But Blade’s problems begin quickly following a semi-routing vampire killing as the cops come down on him for what they believe is murder and, as they dig into his record, what may be multiple serial killings. The truth offers Blade no relief and he’s left to fend for himself, on the run. In fact, this story seems to pick up in mid stride and ends without ending, as if it’s a slice of Blade’s day but no resolution to these events. As usual, we are treated to several panels of flashbacks as we learn about Blade’s history and development, and how that development influences his behavior today.

Buy this book. Seriously. It’s a great read. I am a vampire fan but I have to believe that, even if you’re not, great writing and great art will appeal to any and all comic book lovers.

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

A huge, huge week in comics with the highlight most likely being Civil War #5 (dig that Punisher Michael Turner cover). DC puts it down as well with Birds of Prey #100 (by Black Canary, sniff). Other notables include Catwoman, Squadron Supreme (new artist), Iron Man, New Avengers (oh yeah, “Civil War” is going to be on fire this week) and Ms. Marvel. My pick of the week is Civil War #5 (word) and that being said, on to the reviews…

Birds of Prey #100
DC Comics
Written by: Gail Simone
Drawn by: Nicola Scott, Doug Hazlewood, Paul Sequiera and Robin Riggs
Cover by: Jerry Ordway

For those of you who haven’t been paying attention, let me fill you in on what’s been happening recently in “Birds of Prey”. Our team currently consists of Black Canary (Dinah Lance), Huntress (Helena Bertanelli), Lady Black Hawk (Zinda Blake) and Oracle (Barbara Gordon). Once based out of Gotham, now the ladies are based out of Metropolis, but are mostly mobile in a spiffy Jumbo Jet/Headquarters. Black Canary just got finished with some weird exchange program with Lady Shiva, which she opted out of early and Lady Shiva is now in cahoots with the bad guys again, Barbara Gordon is showing some side effects from being infected by Brainiac but is pretty much her old self. The Huntress and Zinda Blake are still both hot and like to hurt people, all is pretty much well in the world of the Birds. No, the whole Nightwing proposing to Barbara during “Infinite Crisis” hasn’t been dealt with yet, and I don’t know if it ever will be but who cares really, “Birds of Prey”, even though currently lacking in the art department is still one of the best books out there that not enough people are reading.

In the last issue of BOP, Dinah (Black Canary) quit the team to spend more time working on motherhood (she adopted Sin, the little assassin she rescued from Lady Shiva’s ancestoral village) and hanging out with the JLA. Yes, the series pretty much started out as Dinah and Barbara, but Huntress has really come into her own and Lady Blackhawk, well, what’s not to like about her? Anyway, Barbara needs to beef up the ranks, and in issue #100 she send out the call to most of the DCU’s female set. Rather than just tell us who the new “Birds” are, Gail Simone takes us straight into a new caper, Oceans 11 style. A rescue needs to be made in a third-world prison; a young lady whose father is a notorious criminal is being held illegally to spite the father. Turns out her lawyer is Kate Spencer (aka Manhunter), and some of the new prison guards are Judomaster and Huntress, with an apokolyptic favorite (how’s that for a hint) showing up as one of the newest inmates. All this and we get a transition/origin backup story about Black Canary.

Yes, I’ll miss Dinah, but hey, we got Ed Benes back with her in the JLA so it’s okay. As far as the other birds go, WORD. New regular artist Nicola Scott kicks ass, and damn if the team didn’t come together in all aspects. I’m proud to say I’ve been with the “Birds” since way back in their limited series/one shot days and I’ll stay with them for another 100 issues, easily.

Squadron Supreme #7
Marvel Knights
Written by: J. Michael Straczynski
Drawn by: Gary Frank

Squadron Supreme is the Marvel Knights relaunch of JMS’s Marvel MAX series Supreme Power. Supreme Power is a modernization of Mark Gruewald’s Squadron Supreme, a story about an alternate Earth’s superhero’s and how they got tired of regular folk fu$#ing up the planet, so they decided to take it over and become it’s rulers. Kinda like JLA’s Earth 2 Justice League, another old story that was recently revisited in the JLU animated series. Yes, superheroes going nutty is a popular topic, such the thing being centerpiece to the Batman “Gang War” storyline, the current OMAC storyline and let’s not forget the classic Alan Moore story The Watchmen. Marvel comics has kept it’s mainstream heroes under lock and key, for now. Anyway, enter J. Michael Stracynski, he had his own foray into the “superhero’s going crazy and taking over” genre with his Rising Stars series, which was chronically late and to my knowledge is still not really finished. Meh, it’s all for the best, because I believe JMS is getting the chance to tell the story he really wanted to tell with Marvel MAX’s Supreme Power (and now in Squadron Supreme under the Marvel Knights banner).

The team as Mark Gruewald introduced them is still there, kind of. JMS put his own twist on each character, and gave us a couple of new ones as well. We still have Mark Milton, Hyperion (a true child of the gov’t), the costumed vigilante Nighthawk, an extreme personality who makes Batman seem calm and rational. The Blur, a corporate superhero, Dr. Spectrum aka army corporal Joe Ledger and his strange fish lady friend (aka Amphibian) and finally Zarda. Zarda is like Wonder Woman after a few drinks and with no moral compass. In the new Squadron Supreme series, starting off where “Supreme Power” left off, we find out there are a lot of superhumans running around Earth, and the government has assembled them into two teams, one public and one covert. Both teams consist of a few new characters (Inertia, Tom Thumb) and characters that have been introduced in “Supreme Power” and the “Hyperion” limited series (Hyperion, Dr. Spectrum, Blur, Power Princess, Emil Burbank, Amphibian, Arcanna, Shape and Nuke). Recently in “Squadron Supreme”, the team has taken the term “world police” to a new level and are flexing their muscles in Africa and the Middle East; essentially becoming a world power unto themselves. This doesn’t sit well with some people, so the superhuman serial killer from the “Supreme Power” series is set loose and in issue 7 he goes toe-to-toe with Hyperion. I gotta say, wow, they really go at it. And DAMN Zarda is seriously smoking hot. Gary Frank, for real, you are my hero. Damn if you don’t put the “foxy” in “foxy chica”. Word brother, word.

So if you hate foxy chicas knock down, drag out fights, and good storytelling then don’t by this book. If you want to see Nighthawk get all ghetto (see the last splash page in issue 7 for more on that) on a super-human neo-nazi, well, then for real, by this book.

Ms. Marvel #9
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Reed
Drawn by: Michael Wieringo

Carol Danvers has gone through a lot of rough times in the Marvel U. She started out as an Air Force Pilot, and then a CIA agent having served with both Nick Fury and Wolverine. She was also the Lover of the original Captain Marvel, and through her association with him her DNA was altered so she was more “Kree-like” and became Ms. Marvel. She eventually joined up with the Avengers and became a strong hero in her own right. This all came crashing down during a fight with the Rogue, who was a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants at the time. During the battle Rogue’s power went a little haywire and she ended up permanently absorbing Carol’s psyche and her powers. Carol was restored to herself with the aid of Professor X, but was powerless. She regained superpowers while under capture of the Brood and became immensely powerful at one point, but eventually powered down to a point where she had similar powers as she first had as Ms. Marvel, but at a higher power level. Stronger than ever before, Carol had her ups and downs, a battle with alcoholism during her time with the post-Hero Returns Avengers had her on her own for a bit, but now she is back with the New Avengers stronger than ever, and more sure of herself than she’s ever been. So far in her new book she’s fought aliens and participated in the “Civil War” event, but issue nine brings us something new…

Two Carol Danvers new. For real, but let me explain. Rogue shows up wanting to kick Carol’s ass because there is a new beef (not the old beef, you know, back in Avengers Annual 10 when Rogue stole Carol’s powers and memories and left her a blank slate for a long time). It turns out Rogues new beef is with a new Carol, an alternate universe Carol we soon learn (from the Beast, whom our Carol and Rogue take the alternate U Carol to after they kick her ass and calm her down). This alternate U Carol is still an alcoholic (remember Carol’s bought with the bottle back in the Perez/Busiek Avengers series?) and angry at the world, especially Rogue . “Regular” Carol really hates this, so she decides to throw down with “alternate” Carol, and well, yeah.

Confused? I’m not, well, maybe a little, but it’s not so bad. Interesting story? Maybe, not a big fan of “alternate” versions of heroes, but I am a big fan of Carol Danvers and Marvel history, so this story may be okay. Or it could suck, I’ll give it one more issue to find out, in the mean time though, the art is way better than the first arc and it is fairly cool to see Rogue in the ‘80’s JR jr costume.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Kdawg's Reviews!

New Avengers #25
Marvel
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Ilustrated by: Jimmy Cheung

Ever since Civil War started in the Marvel Universe, the Avengers title has been focusing on individual team members in each book.

We have been given some truly excellent and well delivered, character driven stories during these issues. We have seen Cap and his re-partnering with our boy Falcon... AKA Sam Wilson.

We have seen the Sentry on the moon, and we have seen Spider-Woman feeling as helpless as she has ever felt. There have been more all worthy of mention, but in truth that would take away from me talking about this issue more.

This is singlehandedly my favorite of these New Avenger solo stories since they have began. THis is saying quite a lot as I have all but hated Iron Man and the way they have portrayed him ever since the inception of Civil War.

To be even more honest with you, it's no surprise that this issue does not endear him to me any more... But the plot and the focus isn't on him as much as it is on his recent decisions and how have affected those who have held him in such high regard.

Specifically the protagonist in this story. Kenny...

It turns out that Kenny has designed many technologies for Tony Stark. Apparently Tony has been using these technologies and adapted them into what have been dubbed "Cape Killers"... You know those awesome tech suits that the S.H.I.E.L.D agents are wearing to round up super heros in Tony's little pro-registration war...

Kenny comes to Stark Tower fit to be tied and does what only he apparently can do. He shuts everything down including IRON MAN... as he proceeds to lay it all on the line and reveal and yet again, give us even more about Tony to not like.

On a side note... What else can they seriously do to make Tony Stark more of a prick? Seriously this guy is a hero who goes back 40 some years and they have made me all but hate the man and erase the respect I have for how old school he is.

Maria Hill the current Director of S.H.I.E.L.D shows up and whoops some ass like we haven't yet seen from her and sets out to invade Stark Tower on her own to try and save the day. Kudos to Bendis for writing her as he did in this issue. Unlike Tony, Maria is written for the first time since Civil War as a character whom finally deserves a little respect as the successor to Nick Fury.

All in all this is a great issue of New Avengers. Cheung is clean and crisp and quite Oliver Coipel like here, and Bendis delivers. Don't be so damn hard on him guys.. The guy is a good writer and his dialogue driven plots work well here without question as we see the betrayed and emotional Kenny lash out at his mentor and friend who gave him the world, yet tainted it with perceived betrayal. And a b*tchy, ****y Maria Hill revealed as a human being with real insecurities and longing for respect while filling impossible shoes...

This issue was a surprise to me. Out of the two books I am reviweing this week, I was going in fully expecting Astonishing X-Men 18 to be my pick, but this one pulled ahead of the uber clean plot wrap up Whedon and Cassaday deliver.

Therefore surprising even me, New Avengers #25 is the DAWG'S Pick of the week

Astonishing X-Men #18
Marvel Comics
Written by: Joss Whedon
Ilustrated by: John Cassaday

First a little witty banter/dialogue from the Dawg's keyboard to yours.

I was at the LCS tonight, picking up my books and my cell phone rings. It's Sammy...

I say "What are you doing?"

He replies "go to the S section and grab the hardcover sqaudron supreme and issue 7 right next to it. I wouldn't steer you wrong... word..."

I ask him..."so am I reviewing astonishing x-men, and new avengers this week?"

"You are the Dawg and you are awesome, that entitles you to do whatever you want to really"

I certainly can't argue with logic like that brother and thank you.

Okay... first of all... JOE... it's damn good to have you back here at the review table bro. Without you at the helm we are like the encyclopedia without the britannica. we are glass of coke with no rum and lime wedge. Welcome back from the real world... we have missed your knowledge here in play land.

Okay on to the review...

What else can be said about the Astonishing X-Men? They have astonished us for 18 issues. Joss Whedon delivers more Chris Claremont than Chris Claremont on these characters. He has put the character development back into charcaters who have seen it al but disappear in the 90's in trade for epic battles and crossover events. The people grew tired of this from these characters. We wanted more from Marvel's best mutants. With the inception of this tite we have gotten it in spades. The mojority of which has been centered around Kitty Pryde, Scott and Emma.

In this arc we have seen the return of the Hellfire Club Under the direction of a returning evil sister of Charles Xavier... Cassandra Nova. She's after something of great importance to her... her physical form and it has been revealed that Emma is working with Nova and the Hellfire Club to retrieve it from the depths of the X-Mansion...

Kitty pretty much laid the smack down on Emma 2issues back only to have the white queen be revealed and send us all into a tailspin of "What in the blue hell is going on questions"...

Well this is the issue that wraps amost every single plot thread that has been dangling so far, in preparation for the Dynamic Duo Whedon and Cassady's last arc... Breakworld.

We see a depowered Cyclops ripping through members of the Hellfire Club and being the leader that we always knew he could be if he would just let himself. Cycke gets some major points back with me in this issue (I still remember you betrayed Jean you bastard). I agree with the recent article in Wizard about the direction that Scott is going... By the end of all of this he will indeed astonish us with the type of leader and X-Man he can be.

We see things in this issue wrap up so neatly that it all didn't quite sink in. We see what Cassandra Nova really has been up to and we see what the true deal is with Emma and the Hellfire Club.

I looked for anything I could find to see as unbelievable elements to tidying up this arc, but honestly it was written too well and fun to bother. There's still a dangling piece or two that will be taken care of soon of course.

The only thing this title does consistantly is make me love it more and more. I can't get enough and yet I am filled with a sense of dread. Whedon and Cassady won't be staying forever, in truth, only a few issues more... It is my sincere hope that Marvel will find a way to make this title continue to Astonish me when the void of these two creators leaving appears.

Truly the best X-Men stories in a good 15 years are right here and I would be want without them.

WORD!!!! Dawg out.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trade Review: Absolute New Frontier!

Wktf’s Review

A new release from DC and just what the doctor ordered! Been jonesin’ for this one forever! Yay!

Absolute DC: The New Frontier
DC Comics
Written & Illustrated by: Darwyn Cooke
Colored by: Dave Stewart

It is my great pleasure to review Absolute DC: The New Frontier because that means I get to read it again, this time for the fourth time. The first time was in its 6 installments as they hit the newsstand. The second was as each of the two trade paperback volume collections was published. The third was on the plane as I was going to 2006’s New York comic book convention, after which I reviewed those trades together for this forum just this past March. Before DC: The New Frontier I’d experienced Cooke’s work with Batman: Ego and remember thinking highly of it, and have since read and enjoyed his other works, like Catwoman: Selina’s Big Score, but this series stands by itself. It nearly took my breath away when I first read it and has made an indelible impression on me probably forever. For DC: The New Frontier is singularly one of the most impressive and ambitious comic book stories I’ve ever read and, believe me, I’ve read a lot of them. It certainly is not Maus mind you but, then, nothing else is. And it may not have rejuvenated an industry like Dark Knight Returns did. But this book should join such works as Batman: Year One, Daredevil: Born Again and Kingdom Come as among the greatest modern comic book stories ever told. And now DC has come through, giving this fine work their Absolute treatment in all its oversized, HC, slipcased glory.

In addition to it’s oversized format which beautifully displays the grandeur of Cooke’s story and, along with Dave Stewart, his art, this baby also packs some outstanding additions. To start, we have new story pages, including some semi-origin pages for The Flash and Martian Manhunter as well as a Dr. Seuss riff that’s integral to the story line (makes you wonder why these pages were cut originally). I really enjoyed Cooke’s detailed annotations that took us through a blend of his thinking and influences as he created this masterpiece as well as historic DC references, cover and comic book page art. We are provided alternate sequences, including a curious alternative ending involving Superman and Aquaman, an extensive gallery of sketches and concept art (who knew Cooke’s favorite character design was for Wonder Woman? Makes sense, though, considering how the mighty Amazon princess turned out), some “behind the scenes” process pages about how Cooke developed his series, way cool pinups (there’s a Jack Kirby-style Superman that’s a knock out), original series front and back cover art, action figure art, a list of dedications and, yes, much more!

Oh, and the story? Here’s my earlier review I mentioned, above, from March 2006, slightly edited. Note the very last sentence reflecting the sentiment that brought a huge smile to hit my face when I heard that DC: The New Frontier finally was coming out in this gorgeous format.

In these dark times of Infinite Crisis, in which we saw the dissolving of the JLA, it seems only fitting to review this work which, across roughly 400 pages, tells the story of the entire DC Universe as it moves through the precarious 1950s, into the 1960s, and ultimately culminates in the birth of the Justice League of America. Cooke bring together characters who’s books never crossed paths during the 50s (characters such as The Losers, The Challengers of the Unknown, The Blackhawks and the heroes of the JSA and JLA) into one epic integrated tapestry, and he brings the events of US history into play as well. We see how the Korean War, southern racial hatred and segregation, and Senator McCarthy’s communist blacklisting efforts irreparably damages the lives of some heroes while informing and shaping the creation of newer ones. And these new heroes, most especially The Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, The Flash, Adam Strange, and The Atom, are at first disenfranchised and rejected beings that must battle their own personal demons and their harsh treatment from the world around them before coming through in Earth’s time of greatest need to assume the roles as champions. It’s especially important that DC’s most powerful players, such as Captain Marvel, Phantom Stranger, The Spectre and Dr. Fate, realize their role in this story so that mankind may assume control of its own destiny. It also adds to the magic of this story that while DC’s royal trinity of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are ever-present and active during this decade spanning story they, in fact, play little to no role in winning the day at the greatest moment of crisis. It’s up to the far more mortal heroes to do that.

The title of Cooke’s epic is taken from a visionary speech by President John F. Kennedy which, toward the end, Cooke quotes in full. It speaks of the dawn of a new era and unbridled optimism for a better tomorrow. Regardless of your political affiliation, one can’t help be moved by Kennedy’s words. But Kennedy also speaks of the dark times in our recent past and Cooke pulls no punches in showing the pain and tragic experiences many endured before coming to this new frontier. The eulogy for Hour Man, hunted down and killed by police acting on the McCarthyistic blacklisting that forced the JSA underground, is brutally disturbing. Wonder Woman, herself, is shunted aside by President Eisenhower and “that lout” (using Superman’s words) Vice President Nixon and retreats out of rejection to Paradise Island. But it is the fate of John Wilson, a black war veteran who saw his family murdered by the Ku Klux Klan, which is the most haunting. His transformation into a terrifying avenger and shocking fate is broadcast to the world, including many of our stunned heroes, and shows the reader exactly how far the depths of human depravity and evil can go. The horror of Wilson’s fate, Cooke shows us, may also serve as inspiration to a very young John Henry Irons who, today, also is known as Steel. In fact, the brilliant tension of Cooke’s work is that you can never tell if this tale is moving to the dark or the light, or to the light as a result of the dark, you can only be rocked by and respond to it as his characters do. Cooke’s writing and wonderful illustrations (aided immensely by Stewart’s haunting colors) perfectly and remarkably capture and blend the voices and looks of dozens of uniquely different characters. This is a tale full of terror and tragedy as well as triumph and inspiration, that achieves many of the same effects as any piece of great literature: great characters, plenty of conflict, richly detailed and evolving plot and story and, most important, the ability to move its readers across nearly the entire spectrum of emotions. This work is a triumph, a masterpiece that, at the very least, is screaming for DC’s Absolute packaging.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Hey, Keith! Thanks for the props, my man! And, y'know, one of the best things about New Avengers was the teaser for the next issue: Hawkeye!!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Damn, I have not been following Astonishing X-Men.........please let me know what tpb will cover this story line.
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171 View Post
Damn, I have not been following Astonishing X-Men.........please let me know what tpb will cover this story line.
It should be volume 3 in the Astonishing trades and the first half of volume 2 when they collect the whole second 'year' in hardcover.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
First a little witty banter/dialogue from the Dawg's keyboard to yours.

I was at the LCS tonight, picking up my books and my cell phone rings. It's Sammy...

I say "What are you doing?"

He replies "go to the S section and grab the hardcover sqaudron supreme and issue 7 right next to it. I wouldn't steer you wrong... word..."

I ask him..."so am I reviewing astonishing x-men, and new avengers this week?"

"You are the Dawg and you are awesome, that entitles you to do whatever you want to really"

I certainly can't argue with logic like that brother and thank you.

Okay... first of all... JOE... it's damn good to have you back here at the review table bro.

Word brother. Pound for pound, our reviews kick ASS.

And word, it is good to have joe back. Indeed...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about New Avengers fellas...

I read moonknight today and I gotta say that book seems hard to follow> Thoughts?

Aso did anyone else happen to see that the final issue of Daredevil Father hit the stands?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I saw that the final issue of DD: Father hit the stands, Dawg, and kept right on walking. And I love DD.

I gave up on Moon Knight after the second issue.

And New Avengers rocked! Lately, any time Tony gets his handed to him, plus now dealing with the guilt of his employee's death, I'm a happy guy.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:24 AM   #10
whd
Suicide Squad

Too bad. I was planning to pick up Moon Knight when the trades came out, but if you guys are panning it, I'll save my money.

The Squadron Supreme HC is a good read except for the big chunk of pages wasted rehashing the Supreme Power series. Those pages could have been used sketches or an old Avengers reprint at least. It'll be a looong wait for the next book, though.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote