Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Complaining about hard to get rare pieces

First there were complaints about exclusive busts/statues at conventions. (I'm not going to the convention so I can't get one and I'll have to pay out the nose to get one). I for one, like the fact there are exclusives when I go to a convention. It's part of the hype of a convention.

Next, Bowen allows orders for convention exclusives for Bowen Club Members. What happens? Complaints because "I" don't have a fax machine and can't get my order in.

Bowen sets up a process for calling in orders for the Deathmask Angel and the complaints are stacking up already. Face it, if Bowen accepted phone calls, fax orders, internet orders, and mail orders how are they going to know whose order came in before whose? Checking time stamps when each type of order came in? Give me a break, if I was Bowen, I'd limit it to one order method too and make it easier on them.

Gentle Giant does a raffle. Any complaints? But of course. I'd be disappointed if there weren't.

Face it. This is a collectible industry. If each of these companies made 10,000 of each piece then they would be as common as comic books and this industry would fade into oblivion. If I miss out on a rare piece I want in my collection, I do what I need to in order to get it. Sell something else to buy the new piece, get a second job to pay for it, or whatever.

I personally like the chase to find rare pieces for my collection and I don't mind how the companies go about selling them or marketing them. If it's causing someone to quit collecting, fine. Someone else will step in their place.

Let the Hobbit bashing begin.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Well said hobbit. The thrill of the hunt is part game and I personally enjoy it. If all the pieces I wanted came easy to me it wouldn't be nearly as fun.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Johnneeukca
New Republic

You forgot the complaints that Sideshow's wait list used to be a lottery and so people complained because they felt they should be front of the line. I have an issue if some of the people whining were on the wait list just to flip. I was happy with the lottery (no, I've never had a wait list convert but still I was happy with the lottery). The thing with being happy is you don't call to complain and so something you were perfectly happy with gets changed when people do start whinging.

That's it, I'll drop my two cents in the box on the way out.

J

Oh and I forgot the complaitns that CS Moore's handling of the Mag AP was crap because they didn't receive a newsletter or a personal call from someone guaranteeing them a piece. Well, err, pre-order date it was on the website for over a month guys.
Johnneeukca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnneeukca View Post
You forgot the complaints that Sideshow's wait list used to be a lottery and so people complained because they felt they should be front of the line.
I would have thought that SS was a true lottery unlike other companies that claim it's all by chance if you get one
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
P1X4R
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Well said hobbit. The thrill of the hunt is part game and I personally enjoy it. If all the pieces I wanted came easy to me it wouldn't be nearly as fun.
yes, i love the thrill of the hunt too! it's getting that upper hand over the other guy or creating new and creative ways of getting around the system. challenges! it's a game! it's all about fun.
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Wolverine1
SNIKT!!! Keeping the pimp hand strong! Rot Minister of Nocturnal Security

No bashing from me hobbit, you are spot on, this is a freakin hobby.
Wolverine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
Raven1014
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

I feel the same way when it comes to collecting comics also. Nothing better then stopping in some out of the way comic shop when I'm visitng family and finding some back issue I've been looking for.

If everything was available to everyone, then the only thing that would make a difference in anyone's collection would be how much people have to spend. P1X4R said it best, it's the thrill of the hunt.
Raven1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Tattoo-X

Thrill of the hunt for me is finding a rare collectors card. Finding a chase card in a pack.
It's no fun for me to hunt down a bust on Ebay and pay through the nose to some vulture flipper.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Let the Hobbit bashing begin.
Like we need a reason?
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
darthrobbler
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I just like to complain. I get everything I want be it rarity or not and when I set my mind to it I get it all. I am just getting lazier in my old age.
darthrobbler is offline   Reply With Quote