Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Elia Cid
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Death Dealer in Swamp , from Frank Frazetta , He's done !! by Alex Castro

Hi,

The swamp water proved to be a challenge since the mud and swamp have its own pattern of motion which is both circular and random in form!

In painting the monster's head the word "integration" came to mind. Great care had to be given to the head since I had to make it appear that it was emerging from the water and not slapped on the water.

Note that the approach I have taken is to paint the base first then cover it. I will then paint the body. This way I don't have to handle the figure but the covered base.

The pictures below the completed monster head and the swamp water from different angles.

Enjoy,
Alex

Death Dealer in Swamp , 1/4th scale limited edition resin kit, sculpted by Steven Lord, from Frank Frazetta Art Gallery, work in progress by Alex Castro ©

http://www.frankfrazetta.com/ff/news/HTML/index.html

Last edited by Elia Cid; 03-24-2007 at 12:21 PM. Reason: He's Done
Elia Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #2
Elia Cid

Hi Just a follow-up,

The Death Dealer now has some flesh on his bones. The next step is the paling process to make his skin look ghost white. If you look carefully he has teeth as well!

Thanks for your support.

Alex

Death Dealer in Swamp , 1/4th scale limited edition resin kit, sculpted by Steven Lord,from Frank Frazetta Art Gallery, work in progress by Alex Castro ©

Old 03-19-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
Poisonous
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Great work, when could one pick this up and have painted?
Poisonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
Vracula
Jedi Order

there we go now he looks much muscular,i knew its the painting scheme with the other one,keep going mate cant wait to see it once its done
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Elia Cid

Hi,

I am not sure at this point in what format the Frazetta Gallery will introduce this piece as a kit , pre-painted or bronzed to the public.

These two pictures show the ghost white paling effect, in some areas you can actually see the flesh in a transparent manner!

Stay tuned, it’s really going to get interesting in the next phase of this work in progress..!!

Enjoy,
Alex

P.S. We do have a how-to video in the works, but not sure when it will be released!!

Death Dealer in Swamp , 1/4th scale limited edition resin kit, sculpted by Steven Lord,from Frank Frazetta Art Gallery, work in progress by Alex Castro ©

Yesterday 10:56 PM
Old 03-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
Elia Cid

Hi,

He’s all most done, I just have to paint the leather straps, axe and the wood grain, the blood effect on the axe should throw this piece over the top !

So stay tuned just about done!

Regards,
Alex

Note on his garment, I had to tone it down I also had to remove most of the highlights because it conflicted with the armor to much!

Death Dealer in Swamp , 1/4th scale limited edition resin kit, sculpted by Steven Lord, from Frank Frazetta Art Gallery, work in progress by Alex Castro ©

Old 03-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Alex, that looks great! Thanks for posting these WIP pics. I love seeing how talented folks work. I can't wait to see how it looks finished!
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

The paint job looks great Alex The color scheme looks spot on to match the painting. One thing I would like to ask members of the forum opinion wise, however, concerns the facial features. When the Frost Giants came out there were several complaints RE the giants' eyes being dark and some would have preferred the sculpt to have had more animated eyes but the statue as is matches Frazetta's painting.

In the case of the Death Dealer in the Swamp, Frazetta's painting has no facial features whatsoever, it is completely dark with only the red eyes within the helmet. The Sculpt, however, has gritted teeth and very discernible facial features. I imagine in 3-D it would have been difficult to not have some sort of facial features and I know it must have been approved by the Frazettas, but my question to everyone is...Do you prefer the change in sculpt or do you like it to exactly match the Frazetta painting?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
aperson
Frackin!

It's a tough call what to do with a shadow area. We tried something new with exposing part of his face maybe it takes some of the mystery away for some people . Frank liked the idea so I went with it . I guess if there is enough negative feed back they won't go that route again , I personally like it . lator
aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
Elia Cid

Close-up Death Dealer in Swamp , 1/4th scale limited edition resin kit, sculpted by Steven Lord,from Frank Frazetta Art Gallery, work in progress by Alex Castro ©

TNovak

Frank, Jr. provided a poster of the Death Dealer he wanted me to follow. He did indicate that I didn't have to stick with it entirely. I have not seen a Death Dealer with a full face but have seen several painting variations of The Death Dealer. In fact the eyes on the Death Dealer in the swamp are yellow not red.

From the Frazetta web site.

The point you make about the face is well taken. Yes, I could have hidden the face by shadowing it, (see picture below)however, since the face was sculptured in and the sculpture has been approved by the Franzetta's, I choose to paint it. The face was there and I could not ignore it. I did follow the same painting scheme as the rest of the body. However, I did not attempt to introduce an eye, but rather a glow effect in yellow. This was difficult to photograph.

I stick by Steven Lord's version of the face that was approved by the Frazetta's.

Thank for your remark and comments.

Alex

Shadowed version.