Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Anyone Reading Ghostrider?

he asks pleadingly. With the sudden cancelation of Blade, I'm more than worried about Ghost Rider. If you haven't given this book a chance, issue 14's kicking off a new story-line. The book is a true Marvel, stand-alone. Issues 12 and 13 explored the Rider's envolvement with the whole WWH thing and if you happened to jump on there, they were rather readable but sorta clumsy attempts at a cash generating tie-in. I enjoyed them but I've been reading this series since #1 and didn't mind the interuption to the flow of the book. If your at all a fan of the Marvel Essentials and appreciate the self-contained story-threads of Marvel comics in the 70's and early 80's, I really urge you give Ghost Rider another or 1st try. Issue 14 reads quite well as a stand-alone but also richly provides the new or returning reader with a soft explaination of the whole back-story; Johnny Blaze is hunting down 666 seperate but whole devils (all adding up to the real McCoy). Heaven gets involved with this issue and it reminds me quite a bit of Garth Ennis' Preacher and the followers of that whole heaven and hell idea (Constantine, The Punisher, Keven Smith's movies).
The art is very, very good by Saltares with recognizable finishes by Texeira. It has that Ploog style 70's monster quality so missed today. Daniel Way's writing in #14 takes its time and is scary/fun enough to remind you of Marv Wolfman's 70's Monster scripts w/o ripping anyone off. Of course, the violence has been pushed up to reflect today's taists. It feels fresh.
Like I mention from time to time on the Forum, you can still read stories that aren't tied in to the mega-titled story-lines of today and enjoy yourselves. Marvel's accountants need to know that folks read the smaller books too.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Devils Drifter
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

It's the only title that I collect regulary and like you I found the Hulk tie-in was unnecessary but it didn't take away from it. I really enjoy the series and hope Marvel gives it a chance to grow.

- DD
Devils Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Drifter View Post
It's the only title that I collect regulary and like you I found the Hulk tie-in was unnecessary but it didn't take away from it. I really enjoy the series and hope Marvel gives it a chance to grow.

- DD

I don't know, DD..... Maybe we are the only 2.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Good solid title, I enjoy it a lot, and would recommend it to anyone. Now, if only they'd put him back in the old stunt suit...
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
Devils Drifter
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post

I don't know, DD..... Maybe we are the only 2.
I was starting to think the same thing, thank you JDH for proving us wrong.
Devils Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
twisterred
Luke Cage

Hey, this is a great title...strong art and a great story. More people should hop on board this title. As a affirmed Marvel Monster lover I couldn't pass this title up. Mark Texeria was born to draw the "Rider.
twisterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Drifter View Post
thank you JDH for proving us wrong.
It's what I live for, LOL.

Turns out I even reviewed this book in March:

jdh.goodgrief’s review of Ghost Rider: Vicious Cycle tpb

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. So, it seems, is the route back out, if Ghost Rider: Vicious Cycle is to be believed. To cut a five-issue story short (which used to be the writer’s job, in the days before decompression) Johnny Blaze (who really should know better by now) barters his way back out of hell, with unfortunate consequences. As will hopefully become clear, it’s hard to review this book without blowing what those consequences are, so if I’ve already convinced you to buy the book and you want to avoid spoilers, stop reading now. And stay away from television advertising, because you’re just too darn impressionable. Still here? Right. The hook for the ongoing book (and a good one it is too) is that Lucifer has tricked boneheaded Blaze and managed to cross over to the mortal coil with our favourite motorcycle stunt rider. Only snag for Lucifer (I really miss the days when a good old-fashioned John Buscema Mephisto was the devil in the Marvel Universe, as does the letter writer who doesn’t know who ‘Lucifer’ is, and wondred if it was the same guy that crippled Charles Xavier…) is that he is split into 666 parts, each of which possesses a reanimated corpse. The upside is that for each one Ghost Rider deanimates, the rest become that teeny bit stronger, with Lucifer’s ultimate aim being to get down to one vessel with all his power. Devil possessed zombies, I told you it was an exciting premise. Now, the problem with this trade collection is that all it does is set up the 666 dominoes. It’s only from issue 6 onwards that Ghost Rider kicks into gear and starts knocking them down. Recent issues, in which Lucifer has exploited Civil War to grab hold of the recently deceased Jack O’Lantern and prompted a flamehead-to-head battle in Sleepy Hollow, Illinois, are great. Really enjoyable stuff. The five issues collected here, though, are really only mediocre. The writing by Daniel Way feels really dragged out and muddled at times, with a Dr Strange guest appearance (usually a reason to be cheerful) feeling forced and ultimately unsatisfactory. One plus for the series is that it isn’t continuity challenged. It takes the Ghost Rider from the 70s, cherry-picks the artists from the popular 90s relaunch, and seeks to start clean with a 21st century take on Johnny Blaze. All you need to know is right there in the first issue. The art will be devoured by fans of Saltares and Texeira’s earlier run, and they cope well with the difficulties of expressing things with just a skull to work with. Their rough-hewn style isn’t for everybody, though, and sometimes the gritty, shadowy look adds to the confusing storytelling in these early issues. Their worst crime of all is, of course, the hideous 90s costume, with the clichéd spikes and chains. I would love to see them return the character to his original stunt-cyclist jumpsuit, complete with the extravagant collar that is the sign of a true showman. In truth, for all these reasons, I bailed from this book after issue 5, then went back to pick up what I missed when Jack O’Lantern showed up (he was always one of my favourite C-list villains). I was impressed by the marked improvement in issue 6 and beyond. So, if you’re a comics fan on a budget, you might want to consider dipping into this title on the second trade. But, for those of you who like to get the whole story, hang on in there if Vicious Cycle doesn’t impress you – there’s good reading up ahead. Like riding pillion to Disneyland on Ghost Rider’s bike, the destination’s all kinds of fun, but you might go through hell to get there.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
mad titan
A day without sunshine is like... night.

i,ve let this title slide for the last little while,i guess i,ll have to check this out.
mad titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad titan View Post
i,ve let this title slide for the last little while,i guess i,ll have to check this out.
That's what I want to hear!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #10
whd
Suicide Squad

I picked up the second trade, but I haven't read it, yet. I enjoyed the first trade well enough, though.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote