Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Gangleri
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Marvel's Answer to DC's World's Finest??

Both Marvel and DC have had luck with Team-UP books.

Marvel did some great stories with Spidey in Marvel Team-up and The Thing in Marvel Two-IN-One. DC answered with Brave and Bold. Now that B&B is back and the re-imagining of the old World's Finest title in the Superman/Batman monthly is ongoing ... Two-IN-One and Team-up need to be brought back.

Question....Spidey and Thing for another run or should newer heroes be given a chance to shine?? Who's your choices and why?? WinterSoldier (trying to reconect with the Marvel U)?? Invisible Woman (After Civil War - It's her time to be more "Visible" in the Marvel U)??

also

I would enjoy Marvel trying a book along the lines of Worlds's Finest update Superman/Batman...IMO the closest Marvel ever came was Iron Fist PowerMan/Heroes for Hire. What Duo would be a fun read in the Marvel Style?? Spiderman and Doctor Strange...Captain Mar-vell and Moon Knight??

What'd Ya Think??
Gangleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
Roguewarrior
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Not Wolverine, Not X-23, and Not Cable. I think that Spiderman (being their 'flagship' hero) should be in Team up if they ever bring it back. However I like the rotating thing that DC has done in Brave and Bold.
Roguewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Marvel should bring back Marvel Fanfare and have rotating charatcers & creative teams like DC's Brave & the Bold! 1st arc could be Spider-Man & Nightcrawler teaming up against Wendigo, written by Peter David & illustrated by Finch.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Marvel should bring back Marvel Fanfare and have rotating charatcers & creative teams like DC's Brave & the Bold!
Right on!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:22 AM   #5
Achiever
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Eh. Scrap all that. Marvel should put out a weekly book with rotating characters that have tie ins to what is happening that week/month in the regular Marvel titles (i.e. Amazing, FF, Uncanny, etc.). That way, anyone can easily keep up with the Marvel Universe and not have to buy all the titles, or only pick up the ones they want to.

DC proved that the weekly comic can be successful with 52. Marvel should really try to up the ante and create a new book to showcase all of the characters that aren't in current titles, but still use the more popular characters as "supporting" characters. I think it'd kick ass, and it wouldn't be just a retread of "2 in 1" or whatever.

Just a thought...
Achiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:47 AM   #6
Gangleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever View Post
Eh. Scrap all that. Marvel should put out a weekly book with rotating characters that have tie ins to what is happening that week/month in the regular Marvel titles (i.e. Amazing, FF, Uncanny, etc.). That way, anyone can easily keep up with the Marvel Universe and not have to buy all the titles, or only pick up the ones they want to.
DC proved that the weekly comic can be successful with 52. Marvel should really try to up the ante and create a new book to showcase all of the characters that aren't in current titles, but still use the more popular characters as "supporting" characters. I think it'd kick ass, and it wouldn't be just a retread of "2 in 1" or whatever.

Just a thought...

Rotating Characters in a "52" like weekly publication @ Marvel is a Good Idea ...but once you make it a easy decision NOT to buy other titles leads to Marvel closing it's doors. The weekly books should give you just enough to make you buy extra titles to follow the larger story. Books like MTiO an MTU give characters not in current titles, exposure ..... just like the weekly format but, have a drawing card like Spiderman to help sell the book.

It's just that I'd like to see more of lesser used (but interesting) characters featured in fun storylines without making it a company wide/multi-title event. A "retread" of storylines as fun Pegasus Project ... The Serpent Society...and the U.S. into of Captain Britain...would be something I'd welome.

Check out the number of characters that *teaming with Spidey" were told and the GREAT multi-part stories done in Two-In-One. There is room for both the "weekly" (Universe spanning) books and "self contained" (although MTiO wasn't afraid of a crossover) team-up books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Team-Up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Two-in-One
Old 08-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Marvel 2-1 was awesome in its heydey, as was TeamUp. But they would HAVE to put top notch creative teams on the books.

Back in the day it was George Perez on one and John Byrne on the other. Not bad.

It aint gonna work with like Mike Zeck, Liefled, or Ron Wilson (no relation to Sam Wilson), for example.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I'd also like to see Marvel bring back a regular "What IF?" series.....
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
Gangleri

Quote:
I'd also like to see Marvel bring back a regular "What IF?" series.....
Always enjoyed the stories of alternate earths in What-If. They have released stories time and again (liked the Namor/WWII story) But with the Exiles monthly in publication, I don't know bring back What-If as a series.

If you haven't tried Exiles give it a shot....they have a series of trade paperbacks that start from the first issue. Interesting What-If worlds being visited by Blink (AOA) and her companions at the wish of the Timebroker...you'll never know if the Exiiles will save or doom a world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exiles_(Marvel_Comics)

That said...just because a What-If story shows a character in a different light doesn't make it wrong just different. What-If was a fun read.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Marvel should bring back Marvel Fanfare and have rotating charatcers & creative teams
Wow...I remember when Marvel Fanfare was all my comic-book collecting buds and I talked about. It was a great idea having real short stories done by great artists and writers. Issue 2 had Spiderman in the Savage Land. With the talent out there today, this would be a great book to bring back. You could have Kevin Smith and Howard Chaykin do a two-issue
Daredevil/Werewolf by Night story. A Frank Cho and Ed Brubaker one shot Master of Kung-Fu story, etc...
The cool thing is that writers and artists wouldn't have to commit beyond an issue or two.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote