Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
smoked
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Airbrush issue?

Let me start by saying I have a Paasche Millenium Dual Action airbrush and Paasche air pump. The pump is suppose to be a steady 30 psi, but when using the airbrush the pressure drops down drastically. I have a large compressor that I use for air tools that I can use that can adjust up to 60-70 psi. Now the issue that I am having is that when using the airbrush I dont get a steady pen line or flow line, but when I press the button it will spray some paint, but it spiderveins from the point of the contact. I am using acrylic delta ceramcoat that i have thinned with both water and window cleaner. Both give me the same results. I am not sure if it is too thin, the paint, the airbrush, the psi which I am not sure what to use, I have tried various settings, or something else. I am really wanting to airbrush my sculpts, but this way isn't going to work and I really dont want to give up.
smoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

The first thing I highly recommend is that you pick up a combination water trap air pressure gauge. Fort painting figures, you need to have the ability to adjust your airflow/pressure. I usually spray at about 10-12 psi in general.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
smoked

Danno, thanks for the headsup, but I already have a trap/regulator on both compressors. The psi is way lower then what I have been spraying and that may be part of the issue.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

That would be a big part. Typically, when paint spiders off the surface, it can account for few things. Your pressure it set too high, your paint is too thin, etc...

Try thinning your paint with Liquitex Airbrush medium and test that.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

Smoked - Danno's right on. Shoot for the consistency of milk when you thin. Best way I have to check to see if the consistency is right is to use a transparent container to mix in. Lean the container over a bit to let the paint run up the sides, and then let it run back down. If the color remains on the sides of the container and is slightly transparent you're good to go.

One other thing I noticed in your post is you say you press the button the airbrush sprays paint. Since you say your using a dual-action airbrush, this should not occur. You should have to press the trigger down for air, then pull back to get paint. If the airbrush is spraying as soon as you hit the trigger, your needle isn't properly seated in the nozzle.
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
smoked

Thanks for the advice rick. I think I have several issues. One is that I ran straight windex throught the brush to clean it out and it started bubbling around the nozzle. I loosened and then tightened it again, but it still bubbled. Also I have looked on some paasche sites and they are saying that since it isn't a gravity feed and is instead a suction feed that I need to run a higher psi that starts around 35psi. What I am wondering if this is a paasche thing or just bad info from them. The other thing you mentioned is the paint spraying at the press. The odd thing is it does it sometimes and other times it doesn't. Since I have had the brush the nozzle will lodge itself into the body to the point that I cannot just remove with my fingers. I am wondering if in the process of cleaning it I have damaged the needle/nozzle. I keep looking at the iwata because it seems like a lot of people recommend those, but I really don't just want to toss away the one I have. The only issue is I need to get it to a place where it works properly so I can learn to use it correctly.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

Paasche is right. Suction feeds typically require more psi to push the paint. Running the windex to clean it should not have caused any damage at all.

Only way to determine damage is to look at the nozzle / needle w/a magnifying glass to see if the nozzle is split, or the needle bent. The needle you can probably see w/ the naked eye. More often than not, you probably have some dried paint in the nozzle chamber that's keeping the needle from sitting correctly. Have you taken it apart to check? I would also recommend you lube the needle using Iwata Needle Lube or Badger's Reg Dab. It wil keep things moving smoothly.

I use Iwata's exclusively (the HP-A is my workhorse)and have been very pleased w/ their operation. Easy to clean, gravity feed, and capable of sharp details.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

Forgot to mention....when you take the nozzle/ needle out, soak the nozzle overnight in some lacquer thinner, or a heavy duty degreaser like Simple Green. It will loosen any dried paint you might have in the nozzle.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

The reason you are getting bubbling around the nozzel is cause there is a air leak around the threading of the tip.

What you want is Bees Wax, and to unscrew the areas that are bubbling. With your finger scrap out some wax and smush it around the threading. Make sure you dont get globs of wax inside the air flow of the brush but for it to be caked in around the outside of the joint when screwed in.

Bees Wax is sold in tiny tubs anywhere they sell parts for brushes and helps a ton in makeing a nice strong seal for screwed on tips.

When my badgers get clogged or caked up with paint, i find the soaking it in a cup of Badger airbrush cleaner really brakes up the paints enough for me to scrape and clean it out.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote