Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Has the economy hurt comic sales?

That question gets asked here from time to time.
Lots of anecdotal evidence and negative thoughts are generally expressed, but I never really saw any data that suggested the bottom was falling out of the market, rather holding steady or slow growth.

So I have eagerly awaited the latest chart updates.

One thing for sure, trade paperbacks are growing in popularity.

http://www.comichron.com/vitalstatistics/alltime.html

CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

I'd love to see the industry take a substantial hit, forcing them to readdress their bottom-line costs as if a gun were at their head. A few of us have waxed nostalgically about a return to newsprint and cheaper production costs, but I for one really mean it. This whole Wednesdays Comics book and experiment has reminded me just how good art can look on cheaper paper. Bring back staples, newsprint, bi-monthly books if you have to; anything to lower the costs of my funny books. I want this industry to continue on, and that also means making it affordable to new readers.
Salaries for writers and artists who repeatedly churn their books out late, should be lowered to reflect this.
I simply can not afford to buy many of the books I'd like to. I sometimes feel foolish paying $4 for a comic I read in 10 minutes. Enough is enough.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I'd love to see the industry take a substantial hit, forcing them to readdress their bottom-line costs as if a gun were at their head. A few of us have waxed nostalgically about a return to newsprint and cheaper production costs, but I for one really mean it. This whole Wednesdays Comics book and experiment has reminded me just how good art can look on cheaper paper. Bring back staples, newsprint, bi-monthly books if you have to; anything to lower the costs of my funny books. I want this industry to continue on, and that also means making it affordable to new readers.
Salaries for writers and artists who repeatedly churn their books out late, should be lowered to reflect this.
I simply can not afford to buy many of the books I'd like to. I sometimes feel foolish paying $4 for a comic I read in 10 minutes. Enough is enough.
Ditto.

There are also lots of crutches that the current industry now relies on in order to make up the difference between the old audience (larger, more diverse, younger) and the new (specialized, older). Mini-series and "event" books have become de rigeur for the big two, because it basically allows them to artificially increase the numbers of books sold.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

the economy hasn't hurt it enough in my opinion. 4 bucks a book is absolutely stupid! When I started collecting in the mid 80's I remember buying 15 books for under 15 bucks! I know that its the nature of economy for prices to go up to reflect current cost of living and inflation, but 4 bucks???!!! 15 books nowadays will come in just under 60 bucks! I remember thinking Dark horse was out of their mind charging 2.50 for a book! Oh well. Its bad enough they lose readers all the time, but nowadays alot of people just can't afford to read comics anymore unless you collect just a couple of titles a month. I think printed comics will be a thing of the past pretty soon. Its going to cost too much to print them, hardly anyone will be buying, so they'll have no choice but to submit. Only the die hards are buying comics nowadays. I don't even see kids in my LCS which has made me think about the marketing of these books nowadays. Kids just dont read comics anymore like they used to. They've managed to lose the demographic that got them where they are today as far as reading comics goes. But they cater to them now in the form of movies and action figures. Just some random thoughts...
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Ditto.

There are also lots of crutches that the current industry now relies on in order to make up the difference between the old audience (larger, more diverse, younger) and the new (specialized, older). Mini-series and "event" books have become de rigeur for the big two, because it basically allows them to artificially increase the numbers of books sold.
I so agree ... and really feel I'm being played like a fiddle. I wasn't born yesterday yet feel like I'm being punished for even signing on to events like Blackest Night. I'll not being suckered into buying all the scraps connected to it so, I'll end up paying more than $100 for an incomplete story. Thanks big two...thanks a lot. Lower your freakin's costs...figure it out soon 'cause this is crazy. I sometimes find Silver & Bronzed -aged at shows cheaper than the cover price of new books.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

It is interesting that other industrys offer incentives and the comic industry does not.

Free comic book day is all there is.

If they could paint themselves as a cheaper alternative to movies....

But they cannot. How many comics does it take to get two hours of entertainment?
At least you have something to collect after you read it is the benefit.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Comic Sales? Comic readers I say.

Another factor we have to consider is the Quality of the Book/Title/Comic. I know that times change, prices change but the majority of them are NOT worthy the retail price.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I think twice before shelling out $4 a comic. I buy about 2 comics a week on average. I am amazed at those who get 12-15 issues a week!
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Fannymac
I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

Yep, the comic industry has hurt itself....rising prices (the back-up stories at DC are pointless....they've tried this two or three times before....IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!), "events" that go on forever, that don't lead anywhere and cross over WAY too much, and the general attitude of writers and artists who are so busy with other projects that could give a damn about getting a book out on time.....no, the industry has hurt the industry!
(Oh, yeah....and the attention span of the younger generation just isn't what it used to be....reading is now somewhat passe!)
Fannymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

I think they need to explore options on making comics cheaper
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote