Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
dr_teng

DC Direct Supergirl Animated Maquette

Decided I'd switch it up instead of my usual Bowen reviews, but I'm sticking with the reviewing old statues bit, laffo. DC Direct released a few of the animated ladies in maquette form, though this one has a bit of an advantage in that I've always been a big fan of this Supergirl design. Yeah sure, I’ve gotten some weird looks from people when they see my Bruce Timm Supergirl poster, but whatever man, people need to appreciate one of the finest cartoons around.

As usual, higher-res images over at my site, DC Direct Supergirl Animated Maquette review

The Daily Planet works great on the DC Direct Deluxe Superman flying statue, works on the Alex Ross Superman, works well here. There’s a small transparent rod that connects Supergirl to the statue. In some cases this rod can get loose, be careful.

It’s a fairly simple sculpt. All the animated stuff is. It does a great job representing Supergirl flying through the sky and waving to … someone? While a cute pose, I have no idea why she’s waving. Unfortunately, even in the first picture, you can see the one glaring and downright bizarre flaw in this statue. Supergirl has her eyes closed. Gotta say, pretty irresponsible to fly through the sky with your eyes closed. She could fly into a jet and plow right through it. It’s fairly distracting up close.

The paint is well done. Very simple, solid colours, no real blending, but no paint drips or other serious issues either. A few areas around the boots, skirt, and headband could be a little tighter, you can see what I mean in this third picture, near the headband.

3.5/5. Cute statue with some bizarre design choices. It being the only official Supergirl animated statue, it gets a little bump in it’s score from that. There are unofficial kits and some of them are quite decent, but good luck finding them.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I gave this maquette as part of a wedding gift.

True story.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
spenca7
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
I gave this maquette as part of a wedding gift.

True story.
You giving away statues for wedding gifts?? Man whats your address so I can send you the wedding invite?
spenca7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
dr_teng

Yeah no kidding, I already had my marriage but if there's free statues involved, I'm sure a do-over would be in order.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Great review dr teng but you forgot to mention the fact that the supergirl maquette is very fragile (especially where supergirl connects to the globe) My Uncle got me this for christmas but unfortunately he had to buy about 6 off ebay (they kept coming in broken) until he finally gave up and glued the broken pieces together.
Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
dr_teng

I actually wasn't aware they were that fragile, I'd only heard about the problems with the potentially loose connection there. I'll add that to my review, thanks.