Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #41
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Was that Qwest? I have a friend that happened to, too. Man, it just bites. There should be some recourse...
I am sure there is, but I gotta believe going after it as a lone individual would be too expensive. You'd probably get 10 cents on the dollar tops.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #42
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
I am sure there is, but I gotta believe going after it as a lone individual would be too expensive. You'd probably get 10 cents on the dollar tops.
Yeah...I know there was talk about civil suits brought as a class-action against Joe Nacchio (Qwest), but it's pending the results of the criminal trial (still active).

I guess I'm wondering how things like this are so casually pi$$ed away by unscrupulous companies without any legal recourse. Why isn't this just fundamentally illegal?
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #43
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYCOMICMAN View Post
IRA's sheeeeeet. My old boss (may he rot in hell ), embezeled my pension fund . So since 2001, I've been playing catch up(19 years lost).
Anyhow, most of the money goes to the kiddies for child support, college tuition and then whatever else Evil-Lyn wants to do with it.
Now I fully understand where you are coming from and I understand the name for the Avatar. With all the crap that has happened to you. I too would be upset and pissed. Don't feel to bad I to live with a Evil-Lyn who can sometimes make marriage a real challenge. If you want to borrow my Destroyer and set him loose go ahead.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #44
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Yeah...I know there was talk about civil suits brought as a class-action against Joe Nacchio (Qwest), but it's pending the results of the criminal trial (still active).

I guess I'm wondering how things like this are so casually pi$$ed away by unscrupulous companies without any legal recourse. Why isn't this just fundamentally illegal?
It is illegal and the perpetrators likely will do jail time. But - even though the standard to win is lower - civil suits to get back the money are more difficult because: (1) the high costs of attorneys to represent you, even if done by contingency and (2) the unliklihood of collecting the money if you do win. Remember if the person goes to jail, he is not working and likely spent most - if not all - of the embezzled funds on his defense in the criminal and civil actions.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #45
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
It is illegal and the perpetrators likely will do jail time. But - even though the standard to win is lower - civil suits to get back the money are more difficult because: (1) the high costs of attorneys to represent you, even if done by contingency and (2) the unliklihood of collecting the money if you do win. Remember if the person goes to jail, he is not working and likely spent most - if not all - of the embezzled funds on his defense in the criminal and civil actions.
Or he's hiding them. But yeah, I get what you're saying. Still sucks, though!

I have to add, though, that it's not treated as illegal as completely as it should be. If this sort of thing was really something that people got hard jailtime for, then companies wouldn't be so ready to do it so often, I think. There has to be some way to solve this sort of cheating.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #46
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:

It is illegal and people go to jail for this kind of stuff but this does no good for the people who got cheated.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #47
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkari1 View Post
It is illegal and people go to jail for this kind of stuff but this does no good for the people who got cheated.
I know that it's illegal in theory, and that a handful of people have gone to jail...but honestly, the blame is so spread out and so after-the-fact that the laws are useless.

What I guess I'm talking about is that there ought to be a federal guarantee of some sort for pension funds like these, so that they're guaranteed to stay solvent. If big corporations were faced with being charged with screwing the government instead of their employees, they might think twice about trying it. And if there's an oversight agency checking these things, it would be tougher to get away with.

I'm just saying that there have to be alternatives to what's been going on, because what's in existance now doesn't work.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #48
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
I know that it's illegal in theory, and that a handful of people have gone to jail...but honestly, the blame is so spread out and so after-the-fact that the laws are useless.

What I guess I'm talking about is that there ought to be a federal guarantee of some sort for pension funds like these, so that they're guaranteed to stay solvent. If big corporations were faced with being charged with screwing the government instead of their employees, they might think twice about trying it. And if there's an oversight agency checking these things, it would be tougher to get away with.

I'm just saying that there have to be alternatives to what's been going on, because what's in existance now doesn't work.
You are right about spreading the blame so no one person is a fault. Congress has perfected this practice. I would rather trust my money to safe deposit box than to trust Uncle ScAM to ultimately protect my interest. The goverment does very little thats right and if you look at the way Social Security was/is being handled you'll think twice about letting them have access to your money. Remember if Uncle ScAM screws up you can't even sue them.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #49
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

damn i cashed the $1500 check and its starring at me! i want the blackberry pearl,ray ban sunglasses,a diesel watch.....but i need to saveeeeeeeee lol what should i do....i know use it for wonderfest? hmmmmmmmm! LOL
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #50
Avenger
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
damn i cashed the $1500 check and its starring at me! i want the blackberry pearl,ray ban sunglasses,a diesel watch.....but i need to saveeeeeeeee lol what should i do....i know use it for wonderfest? hmmmmmmmm! LOL
Send it here boonie....I will keep it safe for you
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote