Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 01-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #491
Praetorian380
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Im beginning to really have my doubts about this piece. - I think I may end up canceling.

the lip issue is something I "might" be able to deal with, but the unsymmetrical eye sockets really have me concerned.
Praetorian380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #492
FROBAY
Phoenix

Thanks for sharing Mannequin. I ordered 3 myself.

No complaints from me. I like what I see.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #493
robomorph
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian380 View Post
Im beginning to really have my doubts about this piece. - I think I may end up canceling.

the lip issue is something I "might" be able to deal with, but the unsymmetrical eye sockets really have me concerned.
I think the thing is to be fully aware of what you're getting and make your decision based on that. Hardcore Alien nuts like me see only the flaws and inaccuracies, but I'll admit to being picky, and more casual fans will enjoy it for its overall size and impression.

Major pluses and negatives are:

Minus
Facial dimensions/lip size
Poor detailing under the dome ('swiss roll' paint job)
Unsymmetrical/different size eye sockets
Jaw bone completely remodeled from the movie version (bottom hose relocated half way up the jaw)
Generally rather basic detailing and texture in the sculpt and paint app

Plus
Size
Best available 1:1 Alien sculpt EDIT: bust (easily better than Sideshow's older one)
Chromed teeth
Looks very imposing and impressive in person
No sign of anything better in the immediate future

That's about the size of it really - there are other inaccuracies, as thx217 has pointed out, but these are the main things that might bug you or please you when it's on your shelf. So it's all a question of how those pluses and minuses stack up for you. People who have it seem very happy with it, and don't care about the 'issues' so it's just a matter of how you feel about it as a buyer. It's a lot of money to spend if you're not totally in love with a piece though.
robomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #494
polystoned
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomorph View Post
Still the best available 1:1 Alien sculpt

polystoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #495
robomorph
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Yep. Meant to put 'bust' not 'sculpt' Though I see MageeFX are now offering the head separately, so I would have to renege on my comment that HCG's bust is the best out there right now. Magee all the way.

Loving his Pumpkinhead btw - awesome!
robomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #496
polystoned
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I started the bust comparison before you reneged so...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #497
FROBAY
Phoenix

Mageefx is okay. So maybe the lip and jaw is better. but the black in front of the dome covers the see thru skull.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #498
polystoned

They can customize it for you.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #499
ALIEN
Sinister Six

Hi Mannequin

I must say i was very surprised with the height of the upper lip being just under an inch because it looks to be much thicker.
Head 45", now that is even more surprising, are you sure!!

I love the look from the side, that's what first made me interested in this piece.

The 1979 film was very dark with brief views of the creature, thats how i would like to see my piece, in a corner of the room in low level lighting.

Its still a good buy in my opinion, enjoy it Mannequin!

Looking forward to the images of the full statue which i think someone promised on here.

ALIEN
ALIEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #500
cap70
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROBAY View Post
Mageefx is okay. So maybe the lip and jaw is better. but the black in front of the dome covers the see thru skull.

I have seen the MaGee piece and never liked it. A buddy of mine owns it. It just looks weird and WAY, way too thin. It's an "artistic interpretation", so no movie "accuracies" here. The body is also made of latex filled foam, which doesn't attract me AT ALL and doesn't last, besides making the whole piece feeling cheap. The head is also WAY out of proportion to the body.

I would take the HCG piece over it any day of the week. Stills WAAAAAAY more accurate than MaGee's version and looks WAAAAAAY better up close, too.
cap70 is offline   Reply With Quote