Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-20-2024, 05:57 PM   #651
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I think they're just giving their sculptors and painters more freedom.
..and why not.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:08 PM   #652
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Deja Thoris is one of the great statues SSC has ever done. The paint job on it is excellent. The factory has done a good job replicating it.

This one, on the other hand, although similar in tone, is nothing at all like that. In fact, that brownish paint reminds me of a statue of a zombie. It just doesn't work.

The sculpt is really fantastic, full of intricate details. This is Harbottle's best sculpt ever, IMO. Unfortunately the paint job has ruined it for him.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dejah Thoris.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	170614  
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:32 PM   #653
omigeo
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
Deja Thoris is one of the great statues SSC has ever done. The paint job on it is excellent. The factory has done a good job replicating it.

This one, on the other hand, although similar in tone, is nothing at all like that. In fact, that brownish paint reminds me of a statue of a zombie. It just doesn't work.

The sculpt is really fantastic, full of intricate details. This is Harbottle's best sculpt ever, IMO. Unfortunately the paint job has ruined it for him.

That sculpt is fantastic, but that paint, I dont think so
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:42 PM   #654
ukshaun
Hercules

I think it is best to wait and see the statue is person
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:14 PM   #655
Johnneeukca
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Just imagine how gorgeous this piece could have been had they just done normal skin and shading like the skin on her chest and shoulders.
I?m with you. I PO?d (sorry Atlantis) even knowing they were going to use the shadowing cuz I think it?s about the atmosphere. But yah, without it, it would give more options on where to display her.
Johnneeukca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:19 PM   #656
Johnneeukca
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I remember when we first saw prelims of The Queen of the Dead PF. It was stunning. Then we saw what landed in collector hands one year later. It left much to be desired.........

I would wait for in-hand pics. Very little sells out these days at the PO stage. You might even get a better deal if you wait too.
I have no problems with my Queen. That said, one of my statue buds did comment on the back tattoo being straight, and said it looked like I had a good one. So maybe I got lucky.
Johnneeukca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:22 PM   #657
MPCanes
The X-Men

They need to stop this painting technique and forced perspective bases.

As qz mentioned, it works on paint masters because a…paint master is doing it! I’ve had one piece painted by a proto painter and the quality difference is through the roof - you get what you pay for (the paint alone was 3x what a typical PF cost).

General rule of thumb when you see a painted proto - assume the factory piece will be 80% of the proto paint at best. If you can live with that, it may be worth POing in the lower edition size environment. Almost always, fine details (think rust, grime, wear and tear) will take the biggest hit.
MPCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:26 PM   #658
Demona
Martian Manhunter

So the shadows cover all the way up to her abs - including under her breasts - but no shadows on the breasts or bra. Yep. Makes total sense.

The hair is to the point of making me laugh when I see it.

When this was first previewed, I swear this wasn’t nearly as noticeable
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:31 PM   #659
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
That is a whole other can of worms. Sideshow knows what they are doing. They keep upping their paint game because the ads sell more statues than what is actually delivered in hand.

People get so attached while waiting and everything that by the time it comes in they will convince themselves to settle even if disappointed.

In my first few years of collecting I think I only ever cancelled one order across all manufacturers (Sideshow Gal Gadot Wonder Woman), so you can just imagine how many others I ended up settling on.

Nowadays I still do it to a certain extent, but with limited space it makes one more considerate on which purchases I finalise.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 07:31 PM   #660
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

It’s looking like a bad spray on tan.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote